Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#38081 - 02/27/05 01:08 AM cd (or dvd)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am would like to fill a cd (or, maybe a dvd) with information that may be usefull in survival situation. Given that cd does not cost much, takes next to no space, this might be worth spent time.
I wonder what kind of information would be useful on such a cd?

#38082 - 02/27/05 06:23 AM Re: cd (or dvd)
rbruce Offline

Loc: California
There is some good info in the archives if you search for it. However, it may be time to discuss this again, since opinions can change over time. I have been wanting to do this for a while, but I don't have a digital camera, or scanner, (yet) to make digital copies of my documents. Here is what I have been thinking of including:

Scans of important documents such as birth certificate, social security card, insurance information, important financial information.

Pictures of valuables, for insurance purposes, in case of theft/damage.

That's all that comes to mind right now. A few things that have been brought up before is how to store them. You may want to include all documents in multiple formats so you can access the information on any computer. Also, you can compress all the files to save space. Be sure to password protect any important files. When I finally get mine together I will make several. I am going to put one in my fire-resistant safe, one in my BOB, and one secured in my locker at work.

Robert

#38083 - 02/27/05 04:16 PM Re: cd (or dvd)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, Robert.

Thanks for the hint.

BTW, I could not find any old discussions related to this. I tried "cd" or "dvd" as keywords, but it did not give anything related. What other words could I try?

#38084 - 02/27/05 04:47 PM Re: cd (or dvd)
rbruce Offline

Loc: California
After my first post I meant to come back and post some links for you. When searching make sure to set your search terms for "all posts." Also I searched for the words "data" and "information." I'm not 100% sure of the relevence of the threads I found. I didn't take the time to read all of it, but you should have plenty of material to read. Here are the links:

How much data is in your BOB?

Safe deposit box or home strong box?

What do you keep on your PDA?

What would you put on an emergency card?

This last one is a short article by Doug Ritter
Don't forget the... Preparing for a natural disaster

Those should get you started.

Robert

#38085 - 02/28/05 10:25 PM Re: cd (or dvd)
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I'm a firefighter, and occasionally have the sad job of watching people's homes burn to the ground.

For the most part, in the USA, if you loose everything - all your papers - you will have a very, very hard time getting your life back together. Unfortunately, you also can't consider a scan of a vital document the same as a document - there's no legal standing for a scan of your birth certificate - you need the actual paper.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 280 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.