Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3735 - 01/29/02 02:06 AM Kardas & Chakmas
jet Offline
Enthusiast

Okay, ignorance strikes again. <br><br>My earlier poor review of my small Kukri was based upon the assumption that it was a Karda, or small knife made as a pair with a larger, full-sized Kukri.<br><br>After educating myself a little bit, I now realize that it is actually a Chakma, or burnisher made also as part of a full Kukri set, but meant for steeling the blade to touch up the cutting edge.<br><br>D'oh! (sound of palm striking forehead)<br><br>So, now it seems that, after much work, I have finally managed to put a half decent cutting edge on the forward half of my burnishing steel. <br><br>(sigh)<br><br>I love this forum. I'm so grateful to Doug & everyone else who helps make it what it is. A heartfelt "thanks" to everyone who has ever helped educate me through it. Seriously.<br><br>Please ignore most of what I posted earlier. I'll go hide now.

#3736 - 01/29/02 02:24 AM Re: Kardas & Chakmas
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have actually done that myself before - on purpose! It can't hurt to have more than one sharp blade, and if you want to burnish the edge of another blade just use the dull side of the chakmak. The chakmak steel has to be super hard though to work properly, and unfortunately I have seen some new khuks supplied with un-tempered chakmaks just for looks (I guess they figure that westerners would'nt ever need to USE a khukuri...hehehe). <br><br>I keep a small length of smooth silver steel rod tempered way up in the early 60's for serious edge burnishing. It is so hard it can also do double duty as a tuning fork! <br><br>Cheers,<br><br>Gary

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 530 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.