I think the bottom-line is...as kind of hinted at earlier....its relatively easy to carry an folder for EDC and to have the fixed blade in a BOB (some people will freak out seeing someone with a fixed blade carried around every day).

Since most people have a BOB or other "kit" full of survival gear and equipment, why not have a fixed blade, shovel, and all the other items that you see listed in Doug's 2-person kit. This way you're using tools for their intended purpose and you actually have them all in one spot.

If you're in a situation where you can't reach your BOB or survival kit, you atleast have your folding knife. IMO, if a folder is all I had, I'd have to consider how I would use it trading off the need for digging, etc versus the possibility of breaking/dulling/losing it while using it for something not intended. It all depends on the situation. But my BOB is really close to me anyway (I have several placed in likely locations), and if I really needed a shovel, I could probably improvise it and other tools depending on where I'm at versus destroying my knife.

Just a thought.