Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#3716 - 01/26/02 05:45 PM Handgun in Pilot Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it worth the extra weight and bulk to include a handgun in a general aviation survival kit? I already own a few pistols; it seems like there might be some "added value" to bring along my .44 Spcl on a cross-country. It would not be my first choice if I was buying a firearm for this purpose, but since I already have one (my others are .45 ACP and .22 autos), I thought it might be better to have than to have not. I would not make it a permanently packed item, but would include it on a case-by-case basis. Thanks.<br><br>Bruce

#3717 - 01/26/02 06:50 PM Re: Handgun in Pilot Kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Are you packing a longarm? the .44spl is a fine cartridge hampered by poor factory ammunition. To get its legendary accuracy is a handloading proposition. The power is roughly equal to a .357, neither exactly big game rounds. If you need a firearm, a light longarm would be superior.

#3718 - 01/26/02 07:51 PM Re: Handgun in Pilot Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

In Alaska it is a state law that survival gear be carried on board the aircraft Including a firearm. I used to carry a Model 29 S&W 44 magnum. The temptation to shoot passengers led me to carry on board a breakdown 30.30 and 20 Ga over and under in a scabbard. After 30 years of flying in Alaska I have never had to use it. If I were to get another gun I would get the ALASKA COPILOT available from Wild West Guns in Anchorage. It is a 457 cal that shoots 410 shot shells as well as the Griz stopper.

#3719 - 01/28/02 12:06 AM Re: Handgun in Pilot Kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a private pilot, working on my instrument rating, with an ultimate goal of earning my CFI so that I can instruct part time to help pay for my flying and because I like to teach. I fly in So. California. My M-1 doesn't somehow seem appropriate and I probably would raise the hackles on the neck of the Deputy Sheriff who searches vehicles on the way in to the airport. I wasn't planning on buying a survival firearm, but could be talked into it after I finish equipping the rest of my kit (life vests for all are on my list). In the meantime, I thought that carrying something I already have might be of value. I handload, so ammo limitations are less of an issue for a .44 Spcl (its a 4" Rossi, so hot loads are probably not a good idea anyway).

#3720 - 01/28/02 02:22 AM Re: Handgun in Pilot Kit
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
I'd say use it - it's what you have. It's better than ramming your fist down a bear's throat. As noted, the conventional factory ammo is pretty dubious stuff. For, uh, a long time, my wife's backpacking pistol has been a Charter Arms "Target Bulldog" .44 Special (4" adjustable sights). That's her choice; she can have anything she wants, and even has choices in the safe, but that's hers. Strictly handloads, and they would *possibly* get an Elmer Keith "OK", because they are pretty hot. Frankly, I hate shooting the darn thing - 19 ounces - seems like a grenade going off in my hand. Doesn't hurt, but it's not what I'm accustomed to. But SHE likes it, she shoots it very well, and she is not bothered by it in the least. It has taken a few ptarmigan - maybe some other camp meat; I can't remember for sure; that's my task usually and I use my own pistol. She has speed loaders for it and knows how to hold it vertically when ejecting empties (they have an ejector rod stroke that is just not *quite* long enough to fully clear the brass from the chambers).<br><br>I put reliability way, way up there for that sort of carry. I guess that's part of why my wife likes her tiny little 44 - it is reliable. And she knows how to use it. Of course, if you want another firearm... there are ones that I would put way ahead of a 44 special...<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

#3721 - 01/28/02 03:04 AM Re: Handgun in Pilot Kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I also live in SOCAL and have opportunities to fly with friends. I go by the old Vietnam pilots adage " carry three radios and if theres room the ivory handled Smith." I can't think of what I would shoot ( aside from ultralight airheads and the occassional forays of the fujifilm blimp) My first piece was a 5 screw model 24! It's a fine round.

#3722 - 01/28/02 03:42 AM Re: Handgun in Pilot Kit
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Eeee! Nice pistola, Chris. Handloads for that would be very suitable for whatever, I would imagine. Don't have much personal exp. with .44Spl - only wife uses it. Used to carry a .45 for various tasks - personal M1911A1 for some things and Blackhawk 45 Colt for others (boy, has that taken a truckload of game). Wife got me a first-gen Redhawk 44 mag when they first came out, so that tends to come along most of the time since then, but I probably should stop using it... nah. Despite that, I guess I'm a bigger fan of 45 Colt in wheel guns than I am of 44 Mag. Worse than knives for preferences...<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

#3723 - 01/28/02 05:55 PM Re: Handgun in Pilot Kit
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Your wife might try a trick I was taught long ago when using a revolver with a short ejector rod. After pushing the rod to the bottom of its stroke, instead of simply letting it out, slip the thumb off of the end of the rod, letting it "snap" back. For some reason that seems to pop the empties clear of the cylinder...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 549 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.