The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#36877 - 01/27/05 10:52 PM Re: A question to those who have a dog
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
We have a Pet (cat) FAK. Mostly human type stuff. We added a squeeze bottle of eye wash. spare collar, leash , self adhearing wrap since tape won't work, small ACE wrap and you need some way to muzzle your pet, a bandana works. Plastic comb and tongue depressors for splinting.
A copy of the Red Cross Pet FAK book fits in the case. A space blanket would be a good idea too.

Dave

#36878 - 01/28/05 04:38 AM Re: A question to those who have a dog
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Dave, why not ask your vet for one of those spoon-type aluminum splints? It's easier to avoid pressure damage with them, since they're already formed to fit a paw.

And the self-adhering wrap makes a pretty good muzzle as well as a bandage, although you would probably have to cut it down (lengthwise).

Also for cats, a sturdy pillowcase makes a really good emergency pet carrier, esp when there is debris like ash (fire or volcano type). Tie it with a shoelace. And a figure-8 type harness is better than a collar, if snugly fastened.

Sue (ex-vet tech)

#36879 - 01/28/05 07:30 AM Re: A question to those who have a dog
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
The other thing to take is a collapsable water bowl

Being an urban dog person, I always need to have plastic storage bags on me to pick up after my dog. You can use these to improvise a bowl if needed. Orignally tho, I did carry a water bowl as you described in my pack. However, I've switched to a small titanium bowl as detailed in this post . I use it to protect my dust masks from getting crushed and then also have the benefit of having a light, sturdy and rigid bowl for Sophie and I. In an emergency situation I don't mind sharing.

-john

#36880 - 01/28/05 07:36 AM Re: A question to those who have a dog
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
I bought a small bag of his regular Eukanuba and put it in the truck.

I'm not sure where you live so maybe this isn't a problem where you live, but unless you rotate it very frequently, I'd worry about moisture ruining the food in the truck. You might consider vacuum packing it or getting something waterproof to store it in.

-john

#36881 - 01/28/05 07:52 AM Re: A question to those who have a dog
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

#36882 - 01/28/05 08:17 AM Re: A question to those who have a dog
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
But one thing I did learn is that once GDV is diagnosed or suspected, immediate doses of Simethicone, in the form of Gas X, or similar, to relieve gas pressure and to keep the intestines from twisting prior to emergency surgery is very successful.

I'm very sorry to hear this - it must have been horrible. I know it is going to be very hard for me to lose my old dog when it comes time.

This is very interesting about the Gas-X stuff. I'll have to pick up some for my kit.

This brings up a generic point - it probably makes sence to study up on canine first aid. I have a couple of books, but the one I find I like the best is called Field Guide to Dog First Aid: Emergency Care for the Outdoor Dog by Randy Acker, DVM.

He said he intended it to be small enough that you could take it with you. Certainly it is small although books aren't on the top of my list to carry around.

He covers a lot and the sections are concise and to the point. He also provides difficult alternatives where most books just say "see a vet immediately". As you noted, sometimes that doesn't cut it.

As an example, here is what he says about stomach torsion:

"If dog appears to be dying and there is no possibility of getting to the vet, pierce the stomach with a large-bore needle or trocar - or, at the last resort, a knife - to let the gas out. Try to hit the area just behind the ribs and relatively high while the dog is standing up.

WARNING!

Do not attempt the above procedure unless you feel that you have no other option."

I'm glad he had the guts to give us options in this age of litigation. I just hope nobody sues him for his trouble.

Interestingly, none of the three books I have (including Dr. Acker's) mention the Gas-X thing. One indicates you should keep your dog warm with a bottle of water until you get to the vet and the other just says to be careful transporting your dog to the vet.

All have little tidbits of information that is good, but in reality, you want the info from all three to be put together in order to have a more reasonable picture. One notes presure on the diaphram, one indicates shock from the stomach twisting, etc.

-john

#36883 - 01/28/05 08:29 AM Re: A question to those who have a dog
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Bountyhunter,

The cart idea is great. I'm not sure I want to carry one with me everywhere :-), but maybe I might be able to work something into my car kit or something.

Matt,

Did you mean backpack or did you really mean harness? I can imagine your dog being miserable if he was running around with cans tied to his harness! :-)

BTW, here is a thread on CPF which has some info about a pretty cool harness.

-john

#36884 - 01/28/05 03:10 PM Re: A question to those who have a dog
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
Carrying Gas-X... interesting. What else do you carry specifically for your dog?

#36885 - 01/28/05 03:16 PM Re: A question to those who have a dog
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Good point about the moisture. I keep all my gear & supplies in the back under the shell. It's stored in two 3' X 1 1/2' X 1' plastic storage chests so it can't get wet. But heat can conceivably be a problem so I generally rotate the canned food and bottled water every autumn. I'll be watching the dogfood pretty closely for the first few months.

Regards, Vince

#36886 - 01/28/05 05:06 PM Re: A question to those who have a dog
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
What about humidity?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 294 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.