I just wanted to post that I have had good success with a new PSK container. It is a waterproof vinyl ziplock pouch similar to Doug's AMK PSP pouch, but smaller (probably about half the size). I know few people are looking for anything smaller than an Altoids tin size, but I have always preferred a smaller micro-sized kit that disappears in a pocket and then I sometimes supplemented that by adding some more gear in another kit carried in a pack or jacket pocket. Anyway, the pouch is linked below. They are pretty cheap and are also offered by Eagle Creek as an ID tag holder for luggage.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductD...vcat=REI_SEARCH

It will hold the following contents:

The bulkiest items include:
- Survival instruction sheet by Doug Ritter
- compass
- Whistle, Acme Tornado
- Lighter, Cricket mini butane (or a Sparklite and 2 tinders?)
- flashlight, Photon Microlight
- cord, braided nylon, 7 feet, similar to that in Doug's AMK kit

In addition to those above, It will also hold some smaller items like:
- Rubber Band (for tinder)
- Razor blade or scalpel blade
- a few matches
- safety pin
- Needle
- string
- fish hooks

Almost everything packs in a single layer (except the instruction sheet and razor blade, of course). That makes the resulting size very thin (15mm or about a half inch) with no bulging corners. It can be carried in the front pocket even of a suit without showing a lump or being uncomfortable. The lanyard hole in the top of the pouch increases the carry options and it can be worn around the neck comfortably and won't show as a lump under a shirt. It also floats and you can see all the contents through the clear vinly.

The main shortcomings of this kit are the lack of water purification and a signal mirror, which I carry separately. It is possible to cover a flat surface of the whistle with polished aluminum tape to make a rudimentary signal mirror. Some people have also found the similar AMK pouch to wear out with heavy use, but at $1, this pouch can be cheaply replaced when necessary.

And on a slightly different note, I want to send a big "thank you" to Doug for the excellent AMK survival instruction sheet and for making it freely available for download. They are so well-written that they actually could make it possible for a complete novice to follow effectively. And all on a single sheet of paper- Wow! This opens up the possibility of loaning or giving your PSK to an untrained person without that being a wasted effort, which it would be without the instructions.