Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#347 - 03/09/01 11:58 PM couple of questions : )
Anonymous
Unregistered

1. which do you like metal match or wooden match?<br>2. about how many times can u use a metal match?<br>3. fixed blade/swiss army knife or axe/swiss army knife. which do you like for all around camping?<br>4. let say you make a shelter next to a year round pond. advantages- all animals come to drink. disadvantages- some of the animals are unwanted. what do you do about the bears-mountlions-bugs or would your best bet be to move the camp?<br>5. which weapon is most formidable for small to medium animal hunting that can be made with knife/axe?<br><br> Thank you for your time and the reply's<br><br>

#348 - 03/10/01 01:09 AM Re: couple of questions : )
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Regarding #4 What do those animals do about YOU?Camping next to a water source is very romantic,if you like mosquitos,or getting flooded out in wet weather!Most close encounters of the toothsome kind occur when We blunder into the animal's turf.I never camp on designated parkgrounds.Bears know every inch of their territory.Your presence on a lake may only force animals to abstain from drinking.Kind of like that supervisor at work that blocks the drinking fountain!<br><br>

#349 - 03/10/01 04:14 PM Re: couple of questions : )
Aeroscout Offline
newbie member

Loc: Michigan
I used to use a generic K-Bar / 7 inch sheath knife for my camping knife. The nice thing about it was it was under $20.00 so I wasn't to concerned about loosing it or damaging it. I used it with the metal match and for splitting kindling as well as general knife duties.<br>But for 3 years I had been thinking of getting something more versatile. I began looking at Kukris or Ghurka knives. I thought I was going to go with Cold Steel's version but I kept running across great reviews for Himalayan Imports. After a lot of looking (they have over 200 differant types) I decided on the 15" Ang Khola. It weighs over 1 pound and is 1/2 thick in places. It has a sharp cutting edge along the inside curve close to the handle for shaving and delicate cutting. The main portion of the blade is great for chopping. Already I have been splitting fire wood and chopping through old 2x4s with it. I accidentally chopped through a nail with out even a scratch to the blade. <br>Here is the web address if you're interested<br>http://members.aol.com/himimp/index.html<br>The owner, Uncle Bill, imports the knives direct from Nepal.<br>They come with a life time guarantee and free shipping<br><br>

#350 - 03/11/01 01:30 AM Re: couple of questions : )
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanx guys lol #4 sounded kinda stupid eh? well sorry bout that i know it was a dumb ques.<br><br>

#351 - 03/18/01 07:57 AM Re: couple of questions : )
Anonymous
Unregistered

A metal match is always a good backup, but, it's hard to compete with the flame that wood matchs produce. A metal match can be used hundreds of times, but, it helps to rough up the edge every now and then with a file....such as the one you'll find on a swiss army knife, however, a good fixed blade knife is always in use while camping.<br><br>Finally, we don't have too many year round ponds here (alaska) but we do have plenty of bears. In my experience bears do everything they can to avoid people...just ask a bear hunter! Thus, being close to a good supply of water is always an advantage (bugs notwithstanding), but, most animals are attracted to running water for drinking purposes.. not standing water...you should consider that when seeking a good site.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 534 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.