The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3445 - 01/15/02 04:34 AM Re: Interesting idea for a PSK
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Bruce,<br><br>Just as Andy wrote, the common name for the sulfonamide family of drugs was "sulfa". The original drug was "sulfanilamide". Sounds like your friend used his military training and the sulfa powder he caried to help prevent you from getting a nasty infection!<br><br>Here's an excerpt from an interesting website I just found:<br><br>"The discovery of Sulfanilamide greatly affected the mortality rate during World War II. American soldiers were taught to immediately sprinkle sulfa powder on any open wound to prevent infection. Every soldier was issued a first aid pouch that was designed to be attached to the soldier’s waist belt. The first aid pouch contained a package of sulfa powder and a bandage to dress the wound. One of the main components carried by a combat medic during World War II was sulfa powder and sulfa tablets."<br><br>The portion of the website I got that from is found here: History of WWII Medicine <br><br>There are a couple of photos that show the nifty tin I mentioned in my earlier post, containing a Carlisle dressing and a packet of sulfa powder. However, the tins that I have are not painted red.<br><br>The mil-spec 550 cord should be identical to issue, also as Andy mentioned. Smaller amounts (50' - 100') are usually readily available - the local Gander Mountain store has it on the shelf in black (not an issue color) and white. All the "issue" 550 cord I ever saw was either white or OD.<br><br>Here is a link that has small quantities of a commercial equivalent: The Sportsmans Guide <br><br>Here's another that has a better deal - 1,000' spool for about $35: Cheaper than Dirt I think they may also have some 100' hanks of something that is not actually 550 cord. I'm sure there are many other sources, like Brigade QM, but there's a start for you.<br><br>Hope this helps! Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

#3446 - 01/15/02 04:44 AM Re: Interesting idea for a PSK
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Bruce,<br><br>W.R.T. your question about military websites, I, too, have been unable to get to some websites that I am familiar with - as near as I can ascertain, as a result of 9/11. However, the ones I have had difficulty with are simply not visible from non-military domains. In my experience, the ones asking for passwords are specific areas of certain websites, and the ones I am familiar with required passwords previously - nothing changed that I am aware of. Depends on what you're looking for, I suppose. A lot of useful info is still accessible to the public.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

#3447 - 01/16/02 02:18 AM Re: Interesting idea for a PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom,<br><br> The site is www.ammil.com. A surplus outlet. If I'm not mistaking you posted it some time back. Had no problem then but now a password is needed. Thanks for the info. on para cord. Found some 40' hanks on ebay some time back that had been cut from a parachute. 2 bucks a piece. Have to go finnish beveling the wheels and polishing the shafts on my boy's pinewood derby cars.<br><br>Regards<br>Bruce

#3448 - 01/16/02 04:24 AM Re: Interesting idea for a PSK
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Bruce,<br><br>You are correct about the password - that's new! And I don't know anything about it. But it's not a military site - it's a commercial surplus site. At least, it was. Chris K. had posted them twice previously for other items before I posted them for Field Trousers.<br><br>The url for US military sites ends with ".mil" - like "xxxxx.army.mil" . A url that ends in ".com" is a commercial site of some sort - in any event, it is not a US military site. I know that doesn't help much, but that's all I know about it...<br><br>Good luck with the Pinewood Derby! Hope your son enjoys it. Mine are a bit older now - number 2 son was my assistant instructor for a winter survival training exercise we ran for interested scouts in our district this past weekend - we had a great time. Number 1 was studying and number 3 got ill at the last moment, but my wife was there working out of the admin office as my logistical support and she managed to hike out after dark the second night and stay out with me (I DID make my shelter large enough for her JUST in case <G>). We really enjoy the family aspects of this stuff a lot.<br><br>Thanks to a lot of great ideas here, all the participants "built" PSKs into Altoids tins during the classroom portion. They are not as complete as ours, but they have most of the critical items in them, Couldn't manage the iodine tabs nor a vial for them (do not feel like buying 1000 vials) and of course they can add a light source or not as their re$ource$ permit. I used a roasting bag instead of condoms for water carrier and showed them how to carry, secure, and use it - I like those better, anyway. Good stuff, and they are all eager for the next phase/exercise.<br><br>I did not allow them to use matches, and one 13yr old scout in particular was sort of getting desperate to get his fire going. He had not prepared his components properly, almost got it going once, only to lose the flames. He sat there for a bit and then slowly gathered up the proper materials and laid them out carefully. Dark and getting colder now, and I could see "spark!" "spark!" "spark!" - suddenly, a small orange flame lit up the darkness and he fed it carefully until he had a nice small fire safely going. In a scene out of "Castaway", he jubilantly danced around his little fire, gesturing and shouting "I - MADE - FIRE!" etc - all the lines from that scene, complete with antics - a miniature Tom Hanks - I laughed till the tears came and went over to squat by his fire and congratulate him. The whole tedious preparation and effort was worth it just for that one moment. Tonight at the regular meeting (he's in our troop), he was soberly explaining to the scouts who did not participate just how important doing everything right was when building a fire and when he got to the critical part, he jumped up and acted out the whole scene again, complete with gestures and shouting. He really got his point across better than anything I could have done or said, and I'm still chuckling as I write this...<br><br>May your son's car be fast enough to thrill him!<br><br>Scouter Tom

#3449 - 01/16/02 01:51 PM Re: Military Websites
Anonymous
Unregistered

One problem you may be having with the .mil websites is that the army is trying to be more computer oriented. All of us now are required to get an account with AKO (Army Knowledge Online). It has a lot of links inside it, and so the password required for AKO may be causing issues with other mil sites.<br><br>I don't think it's 9/11 oriented. They are just finally getting a little more close mouthed (which is a nice concept). At least the Generals darn biographies are protected by a password now. Bad OPSEC.<br><br>

#3450 - 01/16/02 01:58 PM Re: Interesting idea for a PSK
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I'm in the final stages of Pinewood Derby production with my younger son. Our race is this Saturday, the same day as my older son's Klondike Derby. Of course all of this happens on the very same day the Chicago Bears play the Eagles!

#3451 - 01/16/02 02:00 PM Re: Interesting idea for a PSK
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
What's real cool about your 13 year old castaway story is the realization that he will NEVER forget that moment.

#3452 - 01/16/02 04:02 PM Re: Military Websites
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Koz,<br><br>I have an AKO account; I've recently logged in to follow links that way as well. Certain websites have dropped out of sight anyway, unless you're connecting from a military domain. <shrug> No big deal.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom<br>USA (Ret)

#3453 - 01/16/02 09:25 PM Re: Interesting idea for a PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our's is this Friday. Right after school and work. Last year was my first, so I'm anxious to see if anybody has improved. I have a nine and a five year old. The five year old is not in scouts but were making a dervy car (as he pronounces it) for him also. They have a sibling race.<br><br>Good Lock<br>Bruce

#3454 - 01/17/02 08:10 AM Re: Interesting idea for a PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bruce,<br><br>I gotta tell ya, if there were more people like you who do so much with there kids, the world would be a better place. <br><br>I could say more, but that is the important stuff.<br><br>

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 542 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.