Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3402 - 01/17/02 08:59 AM Re: Survival firearm
Anonymous
Unregistered

The savage 24V is pretty basic and solid .....not sure of current price but mine has been tinkered with over the years and I'd be afraid to add it all up but I'd not be suprised to find all in all I have about 500 invested in accessories and improvements....<br><br>, the subcaliber insert for .22 long rifle and I also have one in .22 magnum were 30$ apeice if my memory is correct. <br><br> The 24V comes in 20 gauge and .22LR or 12 and .223 and other combinations. Accurate, simple and with slugs to .22 shot the possibilities are endless IMHO for game getting and self defense from dangerous game, 2 and 4 legged................<br><br>Stay Safe !

#3403 - 01/18/02 04:02 AM Re: Survival firearm
Anonymous
Unregistered

what do your groups look like at 100yds with an 18" barrel?<br> this sounds like a great combo.

#3404 - 01/18/02 06:23 AM Re: Survival firearm
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have very good groups using green tip IMI 69 grain .223 and the BRI sabot 12 gauge slugs , 1 oz. The scope base is on the barrel so play in the action is moot. .22 CCI mini-mags are the most accurate but have chosen the 40 grain solid remington rounds for solid hits on small game that won't damage meat as much as a stinger or other hollowpoint may.....<br><br><br>I think the key point is that this is a survival weapon I use for food gathering versus self defense other than dangerous game. <br><br> I have made one inch groups from a bench using a 6-18X tasco scope that does double duty as a spotting scope, binoc's etc etc. On the scope I use a rubber band cut from an auto inner tube versus a set of scope covers to protect the optics as the rubber can be used for a sling spear etc if needed.<br><br><br>The rig is stored in my vehicle kit disassembled in a bag I made from an old filson tin cloth jacket. <br><br>Hope this helps with some ideas..........<br><br>Stay Safe !

#3405 - 01/18/02 06:36 AM Re: Survival firearm
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm familiar with it- I sold one in .30-30/12ga my last semester of college for books. Miss that gun. :)<br><br>My primary quesiont on cost was the TiN coating- I don't know of many places that do that custom, so I'm guessing it's expensive as h***. Although, a black and gold Savage would be pretty cool looking. smile I was going to ask also how much it had cost to relocate the front sight, but since you mentioned you'd gone with the scope mount, did you keep the front sight at all?<br><br>Now that I've found a source for pistol cartridge adaptors in .30-30, I might have to see if I can find another one and set it up as a survival/camp gun.

#3406 - 01/18/02 08:57 AM Re: Survival firearm
Anonymous
Unregistered

Checkmate refinishing in Florida did the refinish. The finished product is "Not" gold in any part of the TiNi finish. The first phase does cover the metal in a gold color then the black nitride gives that a flat black parkerized look.<br><br>The front sight and rear stay attached and the scope mounts have QD levers to remove as needed and re-attach with solid zero retained. Thus "if" I damage the optics I have the redundancy of iron sights as a backup to the tasco glass........<br><br>The cost of the TiNi finish is about 100-150 $ as I remember it. I believe Robar also does that work if your on that side of the CONUS (AZ) versus Florida and want him to do it. I have had both do work for me and they are either quite good at what they do........<br><br>The reason I chose .223 and 12 gauge was the availability of those rounds and the brass that's around and I had a Lyman Tong Tool for reloading the .223 if needed in the field. A lee handloader works just as well for that purpose IMHO.<br><br>The .22 LR and Mag insert's are just iceing on the cake as I can pack a brick of these in my larger vehicle kit with the combonation 24V and eat well till I return to normal dig's......<br><br>Stay Safe , Hope I helped and didn't confuse or misinform........

#3407 - 01/18/02 09:27 AM Re: thanks great info.
Anonymous
Unregistered

#3408 - 01/18/02 03:23 PM Re: Survival firearm
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Sounds good. Just one caution for others contemplating a similar rig: Older Savage M24s with .223 Rem bbls have inappropriately slow twists (I have one) - they will not even handle 55gr BT very accurately, and are happier with 50 gr or lighter flat base. IIRC, they used the same .224 bbl for everything, just changing chambering - so it had a "target twist" for .222 Rem - or something like that. Either 1-12" or 1-14"; been a long time since I verified it. Way too slow, in any event.<br><br>OTOH, current production Savages in .223 appear to have 1-9" twist, so it is not surprising that yours prefers 69gr BT ammo. That's an extremely fast twist rate for .22 lr (besides the diameter mis-match) - have you tried the Aguila 60gr specialty .22RF? That might be just the ticket.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

#3409 - 01/18/02 08:07 PM Re: Survival firearm
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good info, not yet on the mex ammo but will give it a look sounds like meat in the pot for sure...............<br><br>Thanks and Stay Safe !

#3410 - 01/19/02 01:40 AM Re: Survival firearm
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Go here http://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire.htm and click on specifications link near the bottom of the page. 60gr, 950fps mv. Seems to run around $29/brick and it takes a faster than normal twist to stabilize it. I'm confident that 1-9" is more than fast enough twist rate.<br><br>FWIW, I think I would prefer a M24 in 22RF/20gauge. I used to own one in 22/410 and I have a very nice "deluxe" one in .223/20, albeit with too slow a .223 twist for my taste (older model). The 410 was not exciting on grouse. The .223/20 is extremely good with shotshells and if the twist rate was like the current version, I would probably be tempted to have a RemChoke installed. As-is, its the most accurate slug-shooter I own, in any gauge or action type. If I used it more, I would probably very carefully open up the modified choke a little bit, but it's pretty good as-is, with even patterns thrown to where it points.<br><br>But it's fairly heavy and longer than it needs to be. The old "Camper Model" in 22RF/20ga was ideal as far as I am concerned - wish I had one. Only "drawback" that I recall to the Camper Model was that it was chambered 2 3/4" only, but I may be wrong about that.<br><br>20ga is good enough for anything - not as good as 12, perhaps, but good enough for wilderness survival use. Toss in a few 3" shells if one is paranoid. And the ammo is lighter and less bulky just enough to maybe matter. One last thought about the M24 - it is not easy for the average do-it-yourselfer to properly rig it for a sling. Trivial for some, but not for most.<br><br>I just cannot get excited about the 30-30/12 combo, but guns are worse than knives for personal preference. For me, if I could only carry one long-gun, it would be a centerfire bolt-action. Having said that, when the family and I are in uncertain areas for purely recreational purposes, a proper handgun is de-rigour for the adults unless bears are possible, in which case Rem 870 12 gauges with short barrels and slings are carried by two of us. Are those survival guns? You bet! Which would I prefer for long-term situations? The pistols, for certain. Cannot carry enough shotgun ammo for a long haul. We are proficient enough with the (large caliber) pistols to get the job done on any size game found in NA. YMMV; these are strictly my opinions. <br><br>As a deliberate choice for a "wilderness survival" long gun, the M24 is mighty alluring, even to me with my predjudices.<br><br>I have seen some of the craziest things used hard for long-term stuff by grizzled and tough folks in tough places, so I guess it's like anything else - make what you've got do the job for you. (One end of the spectrum was a tiny 22lr Beretta semi-auto pistol, and that prospector was fat and sassy everytime I tracked him down - it kept him in meat. The most common thing I saw was beat-up M94 "Trapper" models in 30-30 - these were real "Winchesters", but I suppose the current version or similar Marlins are being carried these days as well. The biggest wierd one I personally saw was a .375H&H flanged double that probably was worth more than everything else the guy owned, and he endlessly reloaded the same box of brass with self-cast bullets and an old Lyman-type tool. Primers, powder, lead, and a box of brass. He reloaded 18 when he was down to 2 cartridges.)<br><br>And that's all I've got to say on this thread!<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 499 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.