Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#33492 - 10/22/04 10:31 PM El Capitan
Anonymous
Unregistered

Two Stranded Climbers Die on Yosemite's El Capitan

I hate seeing stuff like this every year its another climber dies, another and another. I heard they were found hanging from ropes this time., I bet the man was leading and the girl was belaying and when he fell he took her with her. I do not know what happened I am just speculating she probably was not anchored in correctly, that happens when people get impatient, storm or not. Like I say I do not know, but I hate it all the same, I do not know these people but I feel like comrades has passed..

#33493 - 10/22/04 10:59 PM Re: El Capitan
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
I guess the a were found dead, frozen hanging from their ropes and retrieved by NPS Rangers that repelled down to get them. Rangers said they were un prepared.

#33494 - 10/23/04 01:09 AM Re: El Capitan
Anonymous
Unregistered

Found frozen and hanging by ropes. What a way to go. I wander what happened, why were they so exposed during such a harsh storm. It is hard to imagine them not checking the weather reports before they started the climb and or not having the proper equipment. But that stuff can happen if you are not serious enough. I new a army ranger that was on 100 foot pitch and was so use to rappelling down from helicopters that he didn't tie a knot on the end of his rope and rappelled right off the end that rope. That was a costly error luckily he survived the fall and only spent a few weeks in the hospital.

#33495 - 10/23/04 01:49 AM Re: El Capitan
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
>>It is hard to imagine them not checking the weather reports
>>before they started the climb and or not having the proper
>>equipment.

Actually, I don't have any trouble imagining it. I think most of the regulars in the forum are all too well aware that most people will quite happily set off on a four-day climb/hike/trip under the unthinking assumption that the weather today is what it's going to be like for the next week.

I'm sure they were adequately equipped for the condition they expected. But that's not really the point of survival, is it?

>>Found frozen and hanging by ropes. What a way to go.

Actually, Joe Simpson described it as being quite peaceful when he was near death in Peru.

#33496 - 10/23/04 01:28 PM Re: El Capitan
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Actually, the part of the story I found most interesting was this:

They were only one of a few stranded groups (It was a sudden blizzard that blew in - dumped 4 ft of snow) - One other climbing group had to be rescued off the face

The interesting one? There was a group of 4 guys hiking. They left a detailed map of their route at their car (even though it was supposed to be a day trip) and had tents and sleeping bags. Theri families said "we're not worried". When they were found by the helcopters, they had air recognition panels out, and were OK - One guys comment? "The worst part was the boredom" - OK THAT's prepared - a storm that kills others - and your worst problem is boredom (excuse my typing - drugged up post tooth extraction)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#33497 - 10/23/04 01:57 PM Re: El Capitan
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is no way I would allow myself to be in a party that operated in such a manner. You pick your partners like your life depends on it. Preparing for the worst weather is the smartest but not the lightest way to go.

"Actually, Joe Simpson described it as being quite peaceful when he was near death in Peru."

That is not the way I felt when it happened to me, although when you fall in and out of consciousness it is hard to distinguish what is real and what is not. But that is at the very end, the part that leads up to that can be terrifying. Maybe he had a near death experience and was relating that type of experience.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 336 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.