Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3293 - 01/05/02 04:55 AM Re: Fresnel Lens
bill2054 Offline

You might look here:<br><br>http://www.magnifyingglasses.co.uk <br><br>I found the site with www.google.com by searching on "fresnel lens magnifier uk" (without the quotes). There are probably more sites in the UK. I also suggest checking bookstores and stationery shops. <br><br>I carry a credit card sized lens in my wallet and a lens the size of a sheet of typing paper in a backpack in my vehicle. I bought both at an office supply store. I never thought about the magnification of the lesnes. I think any of them will work for starting fires. <br><br>I know I'm overstating the obvious here but in my opinion the fresnel lens is useful only when conditions are good- dry and sunny. Using the lens to start a fire saves your matches or lighter fuel. No matter how many matches you might carry, you don't have an endless supply. The fresnel lens is just one more firemaking tool, and you should ALWAYS carry other means of making fire. <br><br>If I had to give up one of my firemaking tools, the fresnel lens would probably be the first to go. (My ferrocerium rods would be the last to go. Thanks, Bagheera!) <br><br>When I first experimented with a magnifying lens I tried to light a single piece of dry grass. No luck. By experimenting I discovered the following technique. Gather a large handful of dry tinder and break it up by twisting it. This breaks down the outer surface of the stems and exposes the interior portion. It also creates more surface area. The preparation of the tinder is important with any firestarting method. Next, shine the light into the center of mass of tinder, focusing the beam of light not on the surface, but down into the tinder. I think that this helps to trap the heat. The tinder will heat up and begin to smoke, then burst into flames. Try not to stare at it as the light is very bright. Blowing on the tinder when it begins to smoke might help. The main thing is to experiment and find out what works for you. You might also experiment under varying light conditions- cloudy days, late in the day, etc. I have not done this myself, but I should. <br><br>The headlights (headlamps) on newer cars have fresnel lenses to magnify the light output. However, I don't know if one could separate the fresnel portion without destroying it. Also lenses from binoculars, camera lenses, etc have reportedly been used to make fire, but I have never attempted these techniques. <br><br>If you are a smoker the fresnel lens lights cigarettes easily (in strong light, of course), saving your matches or lighter. <br><br>Good luck!<br>

#3294 - 01/07/02 05:11 AM Re: Fresnel Lens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nik, <br><br>Don't know if you have Wal-Mart available, but after reading this post yesterday, I became intrigued and located one at my local store. It cost a whopping 97 cents, but I have to check out how capable it is for starting a fire in the next few days.<br><br>It came with a vinyl sheath, and is a size suitable for a altoids-sized PSK; about the thickness of 2 sheets of paper, and weighs nothing.<br><br>Thanks for the thread; it generated a few good ideas.<br><br>Tristan

#3295 - 01/08/02 08:45 PM Re: Fresnel Lens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bill --<br><br> I, too, have Fresnel lenses in several kits.<br><br> Just for grins, I combined a couple of threads here and decided this weekend to try using a Fresnel lens for firestarting. Additionally, I tried using Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on a cotton ball, and again on dryer lint, instead of using a Sparklite tinder to start the fire.<br><br> A couple of things jumped out at me:<br>1. Don't count on a Fresnel for firestarting unless you've tried it under non-critical circumstances first. I started with a bright, clear day in tropical sun (where I live in St Croix), and first noticed that it takes a really steady hand to focus the lens properly. Even a momentary cloud passing over kills the heat. So does a wavering hand.<br>2. Black dryer lint, moistened with vaseline and fluffed up, smokes/ignites almost instantly. But it'll smoke without creating enough of a flame to easily ignite larger tinder. And the white smoke actually interferes with the focus of the lens as you keep at it.<br>3. A white cotton ball doesn't light easily, even with Vaseline on it. Being white, it's a lot harder to focus a pinpoint of light on the white surface compared to the black one, which shows your focus (or lack thereof) quite clearly.<br>4. Either way, if you're planning on using Vaseline and cotton or dryer lint, the Vaseline dries very quickly in the wind, down to a mere greasy feel. If you're gonna carry this kind of tinder, keep it airtight and light it quick. Black is easier by far. <br>5. Magnesium scrapings and flint and steel were no problem at all. I'd count on that if my lighter and matches were gone. <br> The Fresnel and cotton MAY work in ideal weather -- but it's no cinch!<br> Try for yourself and see. Fortunately it's one of those fun, cheap and easy weekend projects that you can really learn from,<br><br> Regards -- Karl

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 227 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.