Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#3213 - 12/22/01 05:54 PM More about synthetics
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been reading some discusions about synthetics, mostly cotton/nylon blends. Has anyone ever had any experience with other synthetics like cotton/polyester blends, or 100% polyester? How about 100% nylon, 100% acrylic. Am I not seeing any disscusion on these because they are not worth disscusing? There is a product called Polar Fleece. It is 100% polyester fleece (whatever that is) and it is very warm, at least when it is dry. I am not sure how it preforms when wet though.

#3214 - 12/22/01 07:58 PM Re: More about synthetics
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Polyester fleece is great stuff for an intermediate layer, an outer layer if not around sparks, and there are some varients that have a wind-blocking layer (otherwise they can be a bit porous in moderate to high winds). Fleece is even better than wool for wet performance. It is not as ultimately durable, but is plenty durable for most of us. I wear both (wool and fleece).<br><br>IMHO, 50-50 NyCo or 60-40 NyCo ("Mountain Cloth") is THE best overall performer for outer layer rough use in the outdoors. It is not all equal; depends on the weave (I think) - twill is not quite as resistent to wind as sateen in my opinion (and I am slowly testing that out).<br><br>I am not crazy about 50-50 Nylon-polyester, but it seems to work fine. As far as I know it is normally only found in what is a kind of twill. YMMV; but it seems to be good stuff, even if I am not crazy about it. There may be some brushed-finish poly mixes as well - lots of new stuff hitting the market lately.<br><br>FWIW, there is increasing use of 100% polester for shells - many of the Columbia products are using it, I think. The cordura-like weave is "noisy" compared to cotton blends, but it sure seems to perform well, and it should not be quite as vulnerable to sparks as nylon, altho I have yet to find out "the hard way".<br><br>100% nylon is now available in so many kinds of fabric that I'm reluctant to catagorize it. There are even "fleece-like" brushed nylon shells. It is the MOST vulnerable to sparks and, ultimately, to UV degradation (polyester much better resists UV, and of course the natural fibers best resist UV). That does NOT mean it will fall apart in a year - don't get me wrong. I have a couple of pairs of 100% nylon pants that are kind of like, ummm, imagine brushed poplin. Awesome in hot weather, but I would not care to have it against my skin in cold weather. Definately not as durable as NyCo or cotton-poly, but VERY lightweight and comfy. As a gross generalization, I think nylon shells tend to be "noisier" that others, but they are pretty darned good otherwise for performance. Keep away from sparks unless you crave the "pinhole weave" effect.<br><br>Now let me tell you what I have not yet found that I suspect would be the ultimate: NySi - like a 50-50 blend of nylon and silk. Doesn't that sound interesting? As I say, I have not found any yet...<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

#3215 - 12/23/01 02:49 PM Re: More about synthetics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cotton-nylon blends work quite well and are available in a variety of styles and prices, but the very top of the line is supplex, which I believe is 100% nylon. It is tough and durable, a quality that it shares with the blends, but most important, it is extremely quick drying, a very valuable characteristic. I have a couple of shirts and two pairs of pants which have been on many trips and have handled rocks, gnarly brush, and a wide variety of temperatures with great ease. They make good windshells, but can be opened to ventilate quite well, performing properly up to temperatures in the 90 degree plus range.<br><br>Here is a signifiicant point. When you are talking about any of these decent quality fabrics, it is important to consider the tailoring, fit, quality of construction, and features of the garment itself, rather than just the fabric. I like a supplex shirt that is roomy, both to ventilate in hot weather and easily accept layers underneath for cold. Same with the pants. You want garments that can perform as shells in wind and cold, yet ventilate in warm conditions. It can be critical that they dry quickly, and it always pleasant if they do so. Quality of construction will show up long after purchase when seams will either hold up under sustained use, or fail at a critical point.<br><br>I don't worry about UV deterioration in garments nearly as much as I do in climbing ropes, where it is an insignificant factor in normal use. I have a pair of supplex pants which has beenin constant use, around town as well as hiking, for seven years - no signs of UV at all. Remember lighter colors degrade in UV faster than darker tones.<br><br>Fortunately, there are quite a few decent items to choose from.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.