Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3202 - 12/23/01 02:35 PM Re: A few pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

WOW That was a great idea. Probably one of the best cutting options I have seen for a PSK yet

#3203 - 12/23/01 04:34 PM Re: Blade holder in PSK
DET0790 Offline
newbie member

Tom, thanks for the great idea. Even without machine equipment, I used your idea. I removed the knife chuck, cut the handle to fit a "Sucrets" sized candy tin. This allowed me to keep the handle a little longer. I ground a hacksaw blade to fit the blade chuck with a drill and grinding stone. I removed some cheap razor type blades that folded into a handle rom the handle and ground them so that they would fit into the chuck.

#3204 - 12/24/01 01:58 AM Re: Blade holder in PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great stuff! what's the L shaped thingy?

#3205 - 12/24/01 06:23 AM Re: Blade holder in PSK
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Great! As you probably noticed, the handle is soft alloy and the chuck is a harder alloy - probably 6061. Since the handle is so soft, you could easily gouge a groove along the outside of the body - or two or three - deep and wide enough to hold a sewing needle or two. <br><br>The simplest way would be to remove the collet and sleeve and carefully hacksaw the groove to depth, then widen as needed by file. Or, for a closed ended slot, like plunge milling, a small woodcarver's gouge, or an engravers burin could do the job. Drop the needles in place, wrap a little orange (or black) electrical tape around the handle, and you've stowed your needles. If you use the hacksaw, put a dab of 5 min epoxy or JB Weld at both ends of the slot(s) to keep the needles from sliding out.<br><br>Also, a few minutes work with a file to reduce the handle cross-section to an oval would reduce the handle weight 20-30 percent and THEN you could still do the grooves if you wanted. Just be careful to not get too far forward with the filing or you'll cut into the rebate at the front.<br><br>Just a thought... oh, for those without a grinder - most hacksaw blades can be shaped with a file; certainly the "normal" ones can. I have not checked a bi-metal blade, but I suspect it is also easily shaped by file as well. Grinders are a sure bet, tho.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

Edited by AyersTG (12/24/01 06:27 AM)

#3206 - 12/24/01 07:29 PM Re: Blade holder in PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yow. I was just thinking of getting one of the x-acto clones at the local dollar store and cutting the handle off ... but you're idea is much better.<br><br>I especially like the 'modified hacksaw blade' idea.<br><br>- Tristan<br>

#3207 - 12/24/01 08:48 PM Re: Blade holder in PSK
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Unless they have stopped making them in the last few years, X-acto offers hacksaw type blades which should fit your generic handle just fine. For those without a grinder...<br><br>And I love your idea. I don't have a lathe or drill press (yet), but I am pretty good with hacksaw, file, and dremel, so I will be making one. You are a very inventive guy...

#3208 - 12/24/01 09:07 PM Re: Blade holder in PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're probably thinking the #13 blade. It's rated to maybe thin roofing metal, and that's about it, and only for a short time. I think it was probably really ment for softer, copper-based alloys in making various crafts. <br><br>The #15 and #27 really aren't up to being used on metal, but they are longer and work on light woods and plastics. <br><br>The #26 whitting blade might be perfect for PSK use.<br><br>For those who are interested, <br>http://www.einsteins-emporium.com/col-supply/x-acto/ctx10.htm<br><br>http://www.x-actoblades.com/xacto/xpage1.htm

#3209 - 12/25/01 06:59 PM Re: Blade holder in PSK
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You obviously know a lot more about them than I do, so I bow to your knowledge. Thanks for the info...

#3210 - 12/25/01 08:55 PM Re: Blade holder in PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just know the #13 from having used it to cut cable notches in circuit boards, for one lab, back in college. The others are based on the catalog's data and talking to people who use them a lot. <br><br>My knowledge with them isn't <i>that</i> much greater than most.

#3211 - 12/27/01 03:28 AM Re: Blade holder in PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom,<br><br>Great invention! You might consider drilling a hole through the shaft, large enough to accommodate a sturdy cotter pin (to be included in your kit), to serve as a T-handle. This would be handy when attempting repairs on thick materials like canvas, leather, etc.. You could also use the hole to attach a lanyard.<br><br>Best Regards, Barry

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.