The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#31373 - 09/06/04 02:52 AM Re: Arc AAA Premium vs Photon II
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
There are quite a few differences between the Arc AAA and the Photon II. In one catagory is construction. The Arc is build very well and is completely waterproof. If you look at the Photon II, there is no attempt to waterproof it at all.

The Arc is almost impossible to accidently activate thus, so you are not likely to find it dead when you need it. The Photon requires a jewler's screwdriver to change batteries (no changing in the dark for this one) where the Arc just unscrews and drops in.

On the next front are the batteries. The Photon II white uses 2 x CR2016 batteries at 75 mAh each and the Arc uses a single AAA battery. When you add the two CR2016s together and account for the voltage difference between it and the AAA, it probably looks something like this:

Photon II = ~300mAh (1.5v equiv)
Arc AAA = 1250mAh

Obviously there is a lot more battery capacity in the Arc. I wasn't able to find a Photon II runtime graph, but I was able to find a Photon III chart which should be pretty much the same (probably compare to the "high" setting).

I think this illustrates the story:

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/pho3.htm

this_is_nascar's Arc AAA runtime

Also note the last graph shows the Arc AAA with normal alkaline batteries AND the new AAA lithium batteries. Here is a discussion of new AAA lithium batteries

You'll note the Photon drops off very rapidly from the start and then runs at signficantly reduced output for quite a while. The Arc on the other hand runs pretty much full brightness for about 5 hours. More with the new lithium battery. Oh, and while the charts don't show it, the Arc also keeps running at a low output rate for a long time as well.

On the other hand, the Photon is VERY small and VERY light, It is less expensive, and it works just fine.

-john

Edited by JohnN (09/06/04 03:08 AM)

#31374 - 09/06/04 03:20 AM Re: Arc AAA Premium vs Photon II
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Quote:

I'd say Belgianpup is right on the mark and that this Arc is not as bright as it should be and was therefore sold on Ebay.

I can't think of any good other reason to sell such a great light!

There could be lots of reasons it was sold. One thing to note is that I've heard Arc had some mfg issue and had a large gap in mfg. This caused their to be quite a shortage of Arc AAAs. That, combined with how the seller purchased it (I've picked up Arc AAAs as low as $15, which is below the mfg cost I understand!), might mean they actually got it a lot cheaper than retail, and in a time of high demand and low supply finds this an easy way to make some cash.

Other reasons are a lot of folks "horded" these lights. People tend to buy them to give them as gifts, etc. So it could just be leftovers.

There are also different vintages of these lights, with constaint improvements. So, someone could be replacing their older stock with the newer ones. However, they all were pretty darn good lights.

There are also some less noble possibilities. One possibility is it is a "second" (Arc has sold their "seconds" with full disclosure, but that doesn't everyone will - I don't know if they are marked in some way), or not a premium at all. Note that the premium is marked on the body (anyone know if there is any markings on the head?), so someone could potentially swap the head for a non-P.

Picture from Arc website

Which of course doesn't mean this light isn't a current generation, first quality Arc AAA Premium, it is just that there are a lot of possibilities.

Note the Premium is currently selling for $34.95 on the Arc website.

No matter what, this is a great light. Don't sweat it!

-john

Edited by JohnN (09/06/04 03:28 AM)

#31375 - 09/06/04 03:42 AM Re: Arc AAA Premium vs Photon II
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
So far as batteries are concerned, those coin cells in the Photon are expensive-

Note they need not be. Just buy them in about qty 10 over the Internet and you should be paying about $.60 for name brand CR2016s, or less for "generics" (pre shipping). Since they will keep 10 years on the shelf, no real downside. Check out cheapbatteries.com.

Isn't the Internet cool?! :-)

-john

#31376 - 09/06/04 02:32 PM Re: Arc AAA Premium vs Photon II
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
Yes, that chart explains a lot! Thanks.

#31377 - 09/06/04 02:35 PM Re: Arc AAA Premium vs Photon II
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
Mine is marked "premium" only on the body. I'm going to send it to Arclight and have them check it out anyway. Costs basically nothing to ship it and they offered a 5 day turnaround. Waiting three weeks before I send it though since they currently don't have replacements availble.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 240 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.