Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#31278 - 09/02/04 02:43 AM grapefruit seed extract for water purification
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

hi guys I am new here. does anyone have any experience with this.

GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT (GSE)

While not yet recognized by the Wilderness Medical Society, the use of Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) is gaining popularity as a water purification treatment. Lab tests indicate that GSE is effective against a wide range of pathogens, including viruses. Many medical practitioners have successfully used GSE to treat bacterial, protozoan, fungal, and viral infections. While the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) researchers and the World Health Organization (WHO) do not yet recommend GSE as a water purification method, they do endorse as a safe and effective treatment for numerous conditions (equal or superior to conventional anti-microbials). Manufacturers of GSE recommend it for treating water and back up their statements with in vitro (lab) tests and testimonials. As a water treatment GSE is very attractive because it is fast, easy to carry and use, may be used as a treatment for a variety of infections and conditions (eg: prevents Traveler's Diarrhea), has no side effects, is safe for long term use, and is inexpensive. Its only apparent disadvantage is its bitter taste and acidity (a possible problem for those with pre-existing acidic problems).

GSE is made from organic grapefruit seeds, pulp, and white membranes (details about the process and the type of active compounds are readily available in the literature). In concentrated form it is highly acidic and unsuitable for human consumption; however, when diluted with vegetable glycerine or water it is a highly effective antimicrobial. Research indicates that GSE appears to disrupt the cytoplasmic membrane in such a way that the organism is unable to uptake necessary amino acids. GSE also causes minor leakage of cellular contents and inhibits cellular respiration -all not good for the invading organism. can affect a wide variety of pathogens without adverse affect on animal life. Nor do they know how GSE affects viruses since viruses do not have a cell membrane of their own. But they do know that it is effective against an overwhelming number of pathogens.

GSE is available as a liquid or powder from numerous manufacturers. Although the powder is tasteless (liquid GSE is bitter), liquid GSE is more suitable for water purification since it is easier to vary the dose according to need and dissolves more quickly in water. Because the concentration of GSE products vary according to the manufacturer, you should follow the directions included with the product you buy. Note that water-based (versus glycerine based) GSE dissolves faster, thus decreasing the contact time. The recommended dosage for Traveler's Friend (a water based GSE product made and distributed by NutriBiotic) is 3-5 gtts (drops) per glass or 20-30 gtts per gallon; contact time is ten minutes. Consider extending the contact time to 20 or 30 minutes if the water is cold. Liquid GSE is available at most health food stores and from our website (www.Wild MedCenter.com).

After all this, what purification method should you use? Well, it depends primarily on your personal preference and use. If fuel is readily available you might choose boiling, especially if you have the means to safely store and carry the treated water. Clearly boiling is the treatment of choice when you are heating water for meal preparation or drinks. Filters work well at altitude or in snow country where the chance of viral infection is minimal and Giardia may be present (as in snow melt or old snow; fresh snow is usually safe). Halogens work well if you are able to use them and there is no risk of Cryptosporidium. GSE is a great alternative if you can handle the bitter taste and the lack of definitive research. Most people use a combination of methods depending on how and where they are traveling. I have successfully used all of the above methods during my outdoor career. These days I tend to rely on boiling water when in camp and GSE while traveling. Remember to clarify all cloudy water before purification.

grapefruit seed extract

Halcon

#31279 - 09/02/04 01:29 PM Re: grapefruit seed extract for water purification
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
If I am able to obtain any, I will run some tests in the lab. Pete

#31280 - 09/02/04 06:33 PM Re: grapefruit seed extract for water purification
JOEGREEN Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, New York
Welcome, Halcon. It's good to see the fire god has made it over here.

#31281 - 09/02/04 09:42 PM Re: grapefruit seed extract for water purification
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

thanks for the welcome Joe. I have been lurking for a while finally decided to join in.

Halcon

#31282 - 09/02/04 09:49 PM Paramedic Pete just sent you a PM
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

contact me if you are interested

thanks
Halcon

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 279 Guests and 74 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.