Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#31214 - 09/01/04 10:10 PM How many of you are throwers?
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
How many of you throw edged, pointed, or even dull things like boomerang, stones, bolas, etc.

I got the bug many years ago when I found a screwdriver on the sidewalk and threw it at one of those sandboxes they used to put near busy streets for winter, and it stuck. I pulled the screwdriver out and threw it again and it stuck again. I was hooked after that.

I used to be very good and practiced throwing while riding my bike at full tilt. The bike bit was good for a maximum of 8 feet distance, and a taget diameter accuracy of about 5 inches. On solid ground, 15 feet with any reasonable accuracy was my limit. At 15 feet, I could consistantly stay in a 10 inch circle.

I tried to keep all my throws to a 180 degree twist of the blade. I would hold the blade and try to stick it with the blade only flipping 1/2 turn before it hit the target. I did it this way for enhanced penetration as a twisting knife loses energy rotating instead of going forward. The longer the distance the heavier and longer the knife I used, within reason. I used to practice with nails, razors, toothpicks, swizzle sticks, hatchets, whatever I could stick in the media available at the time.

It has been years and the muscle groups used for throwing aren't as supple as they used to be, but every now and then, I am likely to use my 18" landscaping knife (Made from a commercial hacksaw blade.) on one of the trees in my yard.

Bountyhunter

#31215 - 09/01/04 11:56 PM Re: How many of you are throwers?
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I only throw frisbees for my dog Corki

There it helps to give it as much spin as possible for stability.

#31216 - 09/01/04 11:58 PM Re: How many of you are throwers?
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Iīm throwing boomerangs. I have regular ones, hooks and fourwinged samples. I have a pair of regular boomerangs that can be thrown together and will land within a distance of about 2 m if thrown properly. Throwing boomerang is primarily fun. The boomerangs are too light for hunting (which would be illegal anyway). The light boomerangs fly smaller circles which makes it easier to find a ground for practicing.

#31217 - 09/02/04 05:29 AM Re: How many of you are throwers?
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
i used to enjoy throwing, everything from darts to knives to those little metal shurikens that were too popular in the 80s.

i had good aim except with the knives i didnt have great technique.

i always wanted to learn the trick to throwing playing cards, theres a guy who does it and they stick nicely.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 329 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.