The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#30746 - 08/24/04 05:33 PM Search Continues for Boy Scout Missing in Forest
Dan-e-boy Offline
journeyman

Loc: Pennsylvania
This is certainly a sad story...but...there are some serious "outdoors" mistakes here...whatever happened to "Be Prepared"?

Lost Boy Scout

#30747 - 08/24/04 06:09 PM Re: Search Continues for Boy Scout Missing in Fore *DELETED*
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
Post deleted by aardwolfe

#30748 - 08/24/04 06:42 PM Re: Search Continues for Boy Scout Missing in Fore
norad45 Offline
Veteran

The facts on the scout that was missing in July are a little different than what was reported here. IIRC, he was separated from his group but was never actually lost. He had a map and a compass, as well as firemaking gear. I believe that he came out on a trailhead pretty much where he was supposed to be, meeting searchers coming up the other way.
Mistakes were made but at least he was equipped.

A much happier ending than this one will be, I'm afraid.

Regards, Vince

Edit: Here's the link to the story of the first scout. Sounds like a pretty sharp kid. Maybe all hope is not lost for the next generation!

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0%2C1249%2C595081157%2C00.html

#30749 - 08/24/04 07:09 PM Re: Search Continues for Boy Scout Missing in Fore
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is some sad stuff. I remember back when I was a little guy and went on a camping trip my mom made me listen to all this boring stuff about what to do if I got lost and made me carry all this useless gear I'd never possibly need.

I'll have to thank her later.

#30750 - 08/24/04 10:55 PM Re: Search Continues for Boy Scout Missing in Fore
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wonder if the first Scout got his merit badge.

When I was in the Girl Scouts, all we did was sell stuff. We never went anywhere or did anything except go house to house begging for money. Heaven knows where the money went. If my survival had been left up to the Girl Scouts, I'd have been dead long ago.

'Pup

#30751 - 08/25/04 02:33 AM Re: Search Continues for Boy Scout Missing in Fore
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to hear your troop didn't do anything fun. The Girl Scout troop I joined went on a camping or hiking or road trip every summer -- Appalachian Trail, GSA summer camp, Disney World, etc. I guess it depends on how much energy & time the troop leaders put into planning stuff (including bake sales, car washes and other fundraising to pay for those trips). I'm afraid I took all that for granted when I was in the troop, but your posting has reminded me again how lucky I was, and how much I owe those women. (What egotistical beasts we are when we're kids!) Then again, I don't miss the canvas tents and heavyweight external frame packs and leather hiking boots we used then; viva Vasque and nylon ripstop!

#30752 - 08/25/04 07:29 AM Re: Search Continues for Boy Scout Missing in Fore
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
i was a boyscout when i was younger but i was kicked out due to "problems with authority" apparently.

when i was there we did nothing the whole time,i thought id outgrow my uniform before we went into the woods or did anything exciting.

#30753 - 08/25/04 01:41 PM Re: Search Continues for Boy Scout Missing in Fore
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Too bad you were not in our troop. Over the years (my wife and I have had several troops), we have gone caving, whitewater rafting, backpacking, camping, rappelling, had the girls assemble PSKs and FSKs. Last year we put together a "Survival" themed encampment for the Neighborhood.

I think that the activities of the individual troop will very often reflect the interests of the leaders and other adult volunteers, so it might be a question of finding the right troop for your interests. We have always tried to prepare our girls for survival in life, whatever the environment. What is really rewarding is to have girls that were in your Brownie troop, now as adults having their own troops. It is kind of neat to think that you may have had some impact on that young person's life. I know that the many adults in my life had much to do with my successes in life.

One way to change the way troops are operated, whether BSA or GSA is to get involved. Take on a troop or become an adult volunteer, your input can become the instrument of positive change, both for the organization and the in a young person's life. Pete

#30754 - 09/03/04 05:15 PM Re: Search Continues for Boy Scout Missing in Fore
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know what happened to this boy? My wife wanted to know.

#30755 - 09/03/04 06:44 PM Re: Search Continues for Boy Scout Missing in Fore
norad45 Offline
Veteran

They have not recovered his body yet. It is assumed that the first night he tried to get warm by covering up with leaves and probably passed away then. They are hoping that with hunting season starting up somebody may run across his body for his family.

Very sad indeed.

Regards, Vince

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 408 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.