The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#30648 - 08/21/04 09:16 PM Re: Whats in your ETS PSP
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
I added a mini-Bic lighter, a few squares of toilet paper and some additional (larger) sheets of Rite-in-the-Rain paper to mine. I know Doug is really enamoured of the Spark-Lite fire starter, but I found it wasn't very effective at igniting most tinder, compared to the BlastMatch or a good Mag-flint block; however, a half-dozen strikes against a single-ply piece of TP or tissue paper will generate a flame and that will ignite a piece of paper. (When I took the week-long Bushcraft course from Mors Kochanski last month, another student and I were able to get the campfire going in the morning after a heavy thunderstorm the night before had left all our kindling bundles damp and hard to ignite. I got a flame going using some TP (that had been under shelter and was dry) which he used to ignite a piece of writing paper from one of the other students' notebooks; we were able to use this to ignite the kindling bundle and from there we had a good blaze going in no time.

I would probably want to carry a Kleenex pocket-pack in another pocket, along with a large space-blanket and the SAS Survival Guide. I will probably add a piece of a plastic straw packed with cotton balls and sealed at the ends.

Any kit, of course, is a compromise between what people will need, and what they will carry. I'm not very confident with my fire-lighting skills so I would want to carry extra.

#30649 - 09/03/04 03:32 PM Re: Whats in your ETS PSP
Brad Offline
journeyman

Loc: houston
So far I've added a Photon II, P38 can opener (wrapped in some cheap masking tape to keep it from opening and cutting something), one of those 4way Sears screwdriver keychain things (light and you never know when you might need to remove a screw), about 10 inches of black electrical tape wrapped around the Sparklite, saber saw blade wrapped in masking tape, 1 wet nap, 2 bandades, and a small Victorinox swiss army knife (small blade, file, scissors, toothpick and tweezers).

I'll add some water bags and a short piece of plastic hose too someday.

thanks

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 252 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.