Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#30614 - 08/20/04 12:53 AM Pepsi can stove worked really well.
groo Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Florida
Months ago, I made and played with one of these: Pepsi Can Stove.

I bought a large can of alcohol at Home Depot, made several versions of the above, got pretty good results, then put it away and forgot about it. Until Charley.

This stove and a small metal cup reheated / cooked chili, oatmeal, ravioli, etc. I was amazed how well it worked. Water boiling for oatmeal in just a few minutes. The first few times I actually cooked with it, I kept cutting back on the amount of fuel since I tended to overestimate how much I'd need.

They're easy to make (in a pinch you can make one with just a knife if you score the can carefully) and cheap. The fuel seems pretty safe and a small bottle would last through a couple of days of meals at least.

Obviously, you can do better with more expensive equipment, but you can't beat this thing for the price / performance.

If you decide to try one, google for "pepsi can stove" or "alcohol stove". There are lots of design variations. The one I posted above isn't exactly the one I have. I can't find the page anymore, but mine doesn't require any tape to seal it. The basic idea is the same for all of them, though.

#30615 - 08/20/04 05:56 AM Re: Pepsi can stove worked really well.
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

do you mean this one: http://hometown.aol.com/walkingfire/halconstove.htm ? I made loads of them aswell, they work very well indead. I did use more tools than just a knife, though.

#30616 - 08/20/04 09:41 AM Re: Pepsi can stove worked really well.
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
And the grandaddy stove sites of all.
http://wings.interfree.it/html/main.html

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#30617 - 08/20/04 04:21 PM Re: Pepsi can stove worked really well.
groo Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Florida
Yes! That's it exactly. It was so simple, I didn't bother bookmarking the page.

For most of the variations (sounds better than "attempts" :-) I used a Leatherman Squirt to help tear the can and make the fold over tab cuts. Just to make sure I could, I built one with only a knife. Takes longer, but it is possible.

It's scary how thin Aluminum cans have become. You actually have to be careful while making these, or you'll screw up the can.

One improvement I made: I found it works better (for me) to punch 16 or so evenly spaced holes in the can instead of all the little vertical slits as shown in the article. The Squirt's awl works ok for this, thumbtack even better.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.