Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3014 - 12/08/01 06:26 PM D R' survival kit saw
Anonymous
Unregistered

hello,<br>I was just wondering why Doug Ritters saw in his survival kit had the handles still on it. as it would take up a lot less space if the handles had been removed.<br><br>

#3015 - 12/08/01 07:14 PM Re: D R' survival kit saw
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Doug's busy with some related conventions, Ill attempt an answer. We are talking the wire saw in the pocket kit. The handles are two split rings detached for packing. The premise of the pocket kit is loss of other gear. So, here you are, just staggered out of a down aircraft, capsized canoe or avalanche that took your camp. You've dressed (hopeully) minimum wounds and popped a pain killer for that wrenched shoulder. You need a fire and shelter. You pull out your saw, no handles. You can improvise some with fishing line and sticks,but it's cold and getting dark. This kit is to keep you alive RIGHT NOW. improvisation can come with the sunrise.

#3016 - 12/08/01 07:51 PM Re: D R' survival kit saw
Anonymous
Unregistered

I take your point! <br>I will have to do something about the one in my survival kit since mine is minus the handles.<br>thank you very much for ansering my Q.<br>

#3017 - 12/12/01 06:40 AM Re: D R' survival kit saw
bones Offline
journeyman

Loc: Western / Central Australia
Why not bootlace loops as improvised handles ?<br><br>If your fingers are too numb to do this then they are too numb to lash poles together anyway!

#3018 - 12/12/01 06:57 AM Re: D R' survival kit saw
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Im rather fond of bootlaces for survival use, on my boots. It doesn't take much to improvise your basic kit into utter uselessness. Loose boots are an invitation to a shattered ankle. I suppose you could then amputate with the wire saw.

#3019 - 12/12/01 07:03 AM Re: D R' survival kit saw
bones Offline
journeyman

Loc: Western / Central Australia
Laces return to boots once sawing complete - of course!<br>Thanks for prompt reply.

#3020 - 12/12/01 01:38 PM Re: D R' survival kit saw
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you're going to pull your bootlaces out, the only time worse than going up rocks to do so is when you are cutting wood. <br><br>Trust me, my summer jobs in high school frequently had me part of one small logging crew or another.

#3021 - 12/12/01 03:42 PM Re: D R' survival kit saw
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would be quite impressed to see you do "logging" with a wire saw. The most you are likely to do is cut through a small 2" - 4" limb to construct a lean-to or tripod. There is unlikely to be anything small enough to cut with a wire saw that is also large enough to cause pain when dropped on your foot. With solid footing on level ground you should be able to wield a wire hand saw barefoot without much worry. OTOH I wouldn't think of using anything as large a an 18" bow saw without my boots on. cutting 12" diameter logs with an 18" wire saw will probably not happen. Cutting down a 12 " tree with a 18" bow saw is common and quite dangerous without your boots properly in place. Just my two cents.

#3022 - 12/12/01 08:46 PM Re: D R' survival kit saw
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The question was why two split rings were in the pocket kit. Splitting hairs about split rings is rather academic. What item of value that could be inluded has been denied the user?The motivation is to survive, not out McGyver Rube Goldberg. Surely somebody has survived with paper matches. Do I want to downgrade my firekit for the sake of a few grams weight or space for a second bullion cube?

#3023 - 12/12/01 11:17 PM Re: D R' survival kit saw
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK in fairness the question with anything in the PSK is a trade off between usability of a given device and the opportunity to carry more of another or something completely different. Sacrificing the convenience of the split rings is certainly not necessary and the kit that Doug has put together is not missing anything so I don't see any need to worry overly much about it. OTOH it remains possible and worthwhile to attempt to examine, modify and improve in all cases.<br><br> In the case of a couple of split rings which could be adequetly substituted by the paracord, the nylon string or the shoelaces (all of which are available with DR's kit) you could be carying a significant amount of additional snare wire. Try coiling up the snare wire to the same dimensions as the two split rings stacked and see how much you have. I would approximate around 10' extra snare wire. You could probably fit 4 times that much in extra fishing line. Or perhaps some nylon twine which has multiple uses. Also the Split Rings are very rigid which makes packing the PSK somewhat more difficult. <br><br>Another consideration is the comfort of using the split rings in the first place. I have found that they are very uncomfortable unless a stick is placed in them to provide a T handle . If I use them in this manner then anything that attaches the saw blade to the sticks is adequate so the nylon twine or the paracord or the shoe lace would be fine. <br><br>Surely if you have more space then it would be nice to bring the handles. But If I had more space (even a little) I would have the pocket chain saw instead. That is what I carry in my butt-pack which is always as close as my car. What I can fit in my psk needs to be as much multi-use and flexible as possible. The split rings do have other uses but as far as I can see the nylon twine can server most of them and be much more flexible in the bargain. The split rings, as handles to the saw, are single use items and in an altoids sized tin they take up quite a bit of room. The comfort of using a bic butane lighter is vastly superior to a sparklite but I can't fit one of them (even the mini version which I carry in my butt pack) in the space a sparklite takes up. The tinder of the sparklite is smoooshed into all of the other unusable spaces which are too wierdly shaped to fit anything useful and therfore take up no room. Sorry if I inflamed anyone with previous posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 535 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.