The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3024 - 12/13/01 02:27 PM Re: D R' survival kit saw
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>In the case of a couple of split rings which could be adequetly substituted by the paracord, the nylon string or the shoelaces (all of which are available with DR's kit) you could be carying a significant amount of additional snare wire. <<<<br><br>A valid arguement. But my thinking is that I would value the split rings more than the extra snare wire. In order of importance, fire and shelter would be my most immediate concern over snaring food, especially considering that I'm mostly a car camper on day hikes or a weekend backpacker in non-wilderness parks. If I find myself in need of my PSK, I doubt I'll get to the point where I'm hunting or fishing. It's always possible so you have the tools to do so just in case.<br><br>On the other hand, you could always add additional split rings to your coat and/or gear. I view the PSK as a fail safe piece of gear. But under most circomstances, you won't find youself standing naked in the woods or in the water with only the PSK in your hand. If you're experienced enough to have constructed, tested and pack a PSK, you are likely to have other gear with you in the vent of an emergency.<br><br>Your comment about multiple vs. single use items is interesting. Can anyone either think of other uses for split rings or suggest another item to replace it that has multiple uses (other than shoelaces as we already discussed thet item)?

#3025 - 12/13/01 03:11 PM Re: D R' survival kit saw
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I am having enough second thoughts about these split rings that I am going to be forced to do some testing this weekend. I am thinking that the expedient of twine, shoelaces, or paracord to replace the split rings would certainly wear through and fail quicker than the split rings. I am going to do some "lumbering" with the wire saw this weekend and I will post the results of the durability of various expedient handles fashioned from the contents of my psk. Yes, I do have split rings on me at all times since there are more than a few involved in my key ring assemblage. For the sake of this weekends test I am ruling them off-limits. I will attempt using the twine, the paracord, the shoe-laces (though they are not legetimately in the psk), the snare wire, and perhaps the safty-pins.<br><br>I will post my results on Monday.

#3026 - 12/13/01 05:01 PM Re: D R' survival kit saw
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wasn't thinking in terms of steel toes. I was thinking more in terms of ankle support.<br><br>If your boots aren't secure, you'll slide in them. And I know from having done it that you can go after 10 and 12 inch trees with a wire saw. Nothing you want to have loose boots on when it chooses to tell you the wind has shifted, by jumping at you. That, and ever time I've delimbed by foot, I've been glad I've had my boots securely on, with good ankle support. <br><br>Selective cutting in places like Vermont, and then taking the wood out by hand or by horse team, is a lot different than clear cutting any place, especially in the western 2/3s of America. That's what my experince is.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.