Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#302328 - 03/05/24 07:17 PM Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I use two devices for communication. A phone in my pocket, mainly used for voice calls and SMS, the other is a tablet that sits in the home office. This tablet has no SIM, It doesn't need it for Instagram etc , but I also use it for WhatsApp (because display is larger and better for my eyes compared to the phone.

The WhatsApp is mainly installed on the phone (with the SIM), but the tablet is used as a linked device.

It used to work real great until last week, the WhatsApp account was hacked, and I later got it back. So, I re-installed WhatsApp on the main device (phone), and linked the tablet. It is working now, but in a limbing way

The problem is that when the two devices were linked, the tablet imported WhatsApp AND the phone's list of contacts. The contact numbers are not exactly the same on the two devices. Even some common numbers (like family members) has slight spelling differences here and there. And I noticed that WhatsApp on the tablet only recognizes contact numbers from the phone, but not from the tablet.

A relative of mine, for example, chats with me almost daily, and he sent me something but all I can see is his phone number not his name, as if he is not in the contact list. Also, I wanted to write something to another relative who just got out of hospital but there was no way to write his number for a chat. Even when I added his name and number to the tablet contact list, it didn't appear in the WhatsApp list of contacts

Does someone know a way to let the App recognize the local contact list on the tablet ?

Thanks

#302329 - 03/05/24 07:27 PM Re: Problem in my WhatsApp configuration [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Even when I view the contact list on the tablet, they do not show the WhatsApp symbol. As if these numbers are only for phone calls.

I tried a solution suggested by a Google search to go to
Settings / Apps / Contacts / Permissions.
And it was off for WhatsApp. I switched them ON, but nothing changed.

#302330 - 03/06/24 02:18 AM Re: Problem in my WhatsApp configuration [Re: Chisel]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Hmmm...I've never used that app, hopefully someone else will chime in!

#302333 - 03/06/24 06:35 PM Re: Problem in my WhatsApp configuration [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Settings / Apps / Contacts / Permissions.
And it was off for WhatsApp. I switched them ON, but nothing changed.

Try going to the WhatsApp settings, go to Account (or could be Accounts) and click on Sync Contacts (or Contacts Sync). If that doesn’t work, kill all your apps, reboot your tablet, and check again.

More troubleshooting steps at https://www.carlcare.com/ng/tips-detail/what-causes-whatsapp-not-to-show-contact-names/ .

#302334 - 03/07/24 07:48 PM Re: Problem in my WhatsApp configuration [Re: Chisel]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
I don't use WhatsApp.

But the day you posted, almost all of Meta/Facebook was having problems globally. Might have been related.

Edited by Ren (03/09/24 02:04 PM)

#302335 - 03/09/24 01:55 PM Re: Problem in my WhatsApp configuration [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks everyone.

My daughter helped me and I will explain the solution just in case someone faces the same problem.

Actually, very few people will ever face this problem because most people use one phone for everything ( phone calls, SMS, WhatsApp ..etc.) and will therefore utilize the same contact list. My problem started because I am using phone just like te old days (phone calls only) , and use a stationary Tablet for WhatsApp and other social media (mainly because larger screen ). A simpler straight forward option is to have two separate SIMS for the two gadgets, but the option to use one SIM is available , if you know how.

My WRONG way to use the tablet to display WhatsApp, was to install the App on tablet and follow the installation instructions, which lead the tablet to be a mere screen display for the phone WhatsApp. Linking the two gadgets makes the tablet nothing but a bigger screen for the phone when you are using WhatsApp

The CORRECT way, when you install the App on the tablet , and start it, since it has no SIM and no number , it asks to link to the phone with SIM. Do not link. Rather follow the 'fine print' , I mean the other option at the bottom of the page, which leads you to input the country and phone number, Then choose the option of sending new WhatsApp code via SMS on that phone number. In this case, the tablet only gets the code to utilize that phone's WhatsApp contents and the code to access them. Since this option does not include the contact list , it will ask your permission to use the local (tablet) contact list and media, which I gladly clicked .

Problem solved, and the phone's WhatsApp chats were transferred to the tablet, while using the contact list of the tablet itself.

I hope my mumbo jumbo is clear enough , LOL.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 504 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.