Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I have the following issues:

• Balance
  • Low blood sugar
  • Asthma
  • Anxiety
  • Throat - I can't swallow pills
  • Occasional heartburn

My EDC bag is a culmination of my experiences. My bag needed to be a 24-hour urban survival kit. I can't remember how many times I found myself on an unplanned overnight adventure, and everything I needed was what I had on me. There have been a couple of times when Mom and I needed to be at our destination that minute, and all I could do was grab what I could as I walked out the door. In both cases, that was my bag and jacket. In other words, no cell phone.

However, Mom has commented on the weight of my EDC bag, stating that years of carrying that weight would hurt my frame. Yesterday, after putting my bag on a diet, I laid all the contents on the table before her for a further reduction.

The following is the current plan for my EDC, including an AMK Ultralight/Watertight .3 I ordered to replace my current FAK. Having three of certain items has been a practice that has proven to work for me, similar to the adage "one is none." Some more sensitive items, which take negligible space and weight, won't be mentioned. A brief explanation will be provided if needed:

• Medical ID Bracelet
  • Keychain with whistle and pill fob - The pill fob holds six tablets of Lorazepam (anxiety medication)
  • Cane - Balance
  • Wallet
  • Cell phone
  • 8 Pack cracker sandwiches - Low blood sugar, kept in original packing to prevent crushing
  • Glucometer - Low blood sugar
  • Three bottles of Glucerna - Low blood sugar
  • Washcloth - coughing, holding it helps with anxiety
  • Two 8-ounce bottles of water - the second bottle is for mixing with Alka-Seltzer or giving to one in need
  • Three pouches of Alka-Seltzer in a zip-lock bag - The best thing for occasional heartburn
  • Sunglasses and case
  • Lorazepam - Anxiety
  • Propranolol - Anxiety
  • Albuterol - Asthma
  • Anti Gas - Anxiety triggers gas
  • Chewable Aspirin - I can't swallow pills
  • Carmex
  • Kleenex Pocket Pack
  • Ultralight/Watertight .3 - Has helped myself, friends, and family, including with two scraped knees and a wardrobe malfunction
  • EMT Shears - Used with Ultralight/Watertight .3, cutting tool
  • Pen
  • Bus schedule - I need a reminder of when the bus arrives
  • Bottle of Powerade or Propel - I'm always thirsty

Does anyone have suggestions for reducing weight while meeting the needs mentioned above?

Edit: I ordered the Photon Micro-Light II and am also considering adding flushable wipes back in.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (01/07/24 10:48 PM)

#302195 - 01/08/24 03:28 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Quote:
Does anyone have suggestions for reducing weight while meeting the needs mentioned above?

You haven't mentioned what kind of bag you're using. That might be a way to save a little weight. For myself, if I find a bag that works well, I tend to not fuss over a few ounces.

Otherwise I'm not sure what to suggest. Your EDC needs to work for you, not necessarily for others.

#302196 - 01/08/24 04:40 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: chaosmagnet]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
You haven't mentioned what kind of bag you're using. That might be a way to save a little weight. For myself, if I find a bag that works well, I tend to not fuss over a few ounces.

I'm using a messenger bag, which is larger than a purse.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Otherwise I'm not sure what to suggest. Your EDC needs to work for you, not necessarily for others.

I'm wondering if anyone has a lighter-weight solution. However, in some situations, such as low blood sugar, that is not possible. As my doctor has explained what works for one hypoglycemic patient may not work for another.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302197 - 01/08/24 05:08 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The one thing that might make you more comfortable carrying the weight would be to change from a messenger-type bag to a backpack. In my case, I made that change for my (heavy!) laptop and IT-service bag, and it helped me substantially.

#302198 - 01/08/24 09:11 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
DaveL Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado Springs,CO
No such thing as flushable wipes, I am retired master plumber

#302199 - 01/09/24 12:55 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: DaveL]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: DaveL
No such thing as flushable wipes, I am retired master plumber

For context, the brand I use is Cottonelle. Is there anything I should know or do?

Jeanette Isabelle

#302200 - 01/09/24 01:34 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

For context, the brand I use is Cottonelle. Is there anything I should know or do?

Jeanette Isabelle

As they are non-flushable the only solution is to put used one in a trash bin.

#302201 - 01/09/24 01:52 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Herman30]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Herman30

It would be unhygienic to dispose of flushable wipes in the trash can since they are designed to be flushed.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302202 - 01/09/24 06:37 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: Herman30

It would be unhygienic to dispose of flushable wipes in the trash can since they are designed to be flushed.

They are claimed to flushable. The point is that is not correct.

The trash collection system deals with disposable diapers. Those are pretty unhygenic.

I think the main trash-disposal issues are really only with medical sharps, contagious medical wastes, and chemical/radioactive toxics.

If your glucometer uses lancets, there are tiny portable sharps containers that are good for travel, e.g., FINEPRO 0.2L Size Portable Pen-Needle Disposal Container Diabetes Care

#302203 - 01/09/24 07:00 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There have been a few documentaries about so called 'flushable' wipes. If you are out of town on your own septic system you have to have them dug out when they fill the tank. Same with city sewer systems, they eventually build up a big pile and clog the pipes and someone has to dig them out.

That sharps container is perfect for wife's (diabetic) needles, ordering one.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 237 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.