Land navigation has always been a bit of a hobby of mine since I learned how to use a map & compass waaaay back in Boy Scouts.

Yesterday I can across this very well done YouTube video showing how to use just a compass and pace counting to travel around an unknown area, traveling to several different destinations, and the finally creating a scale map using stakes and paracord to determine a bearing and distance that will take you back to your starting point - such as your car.

Yes, I know that a handheld GPS can easily do this IF you've created a waypoint for your starting point. Still, this is a fun and useful method.

Personally, I'm not a fan of lensatic compasses although I bought one years ago to learn how to use them. My own favorites at this point are the Suunto MC-2 mirrored, or for a bit less the Suunto M-3 mirrorless. Very well built, reliable, and will last a lifetime. BTW, I still have my first simple Silva compass from Boy Scouts, and it still works fine - even with some damage from mosquito repellent.

https://youtu.be/L5le07fQl8w?si=2UOj3C7Ylvii49n0