The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#302255 - 01/26/24 01:23 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Today, while I was shopping in the travel-size section, I bought a one-ounce bottle of hand sanitizer and a travel-size pack of flushable wipes. Additionally, I came across a 1.75-ounce jar of Vaseline. Although I cannot recall ever needing Vaseline during any of my impromptu adventures, I have found it necessary for my weekend trips. I am undecided whether I should include it in my EDC bag, but I will update my list once I assemble my first aid kit, which I plan to do in February.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302267 - 02/01/24 07:30 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I won't be able to purchase the necessary items to assemble my first aid kit this February. Additionally, I have an expense that I need to cover in March, which may further delay my ability to obtain the supplies. I want to build my kit by April.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302269 - 02/03/24 12:25 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Interesting thread about what and how to carry. Messenger bag or backpack is personal preference. Backpack can definitely carry more, but if you prefer the messenger then so-be-it.

In my situation I found that carrying lots of gear on me anytime away from home was a non-starter for many of the reasons mentioned here. The backpack became what you'd take on a weekend hike -- way too much for EDC. Now I'm down to pocket carry for EDC.

My truck OTOH is always nearby -- home, work, shopping, traveling... The kit in the truck is good for quite a few days and includes food, water, coffee (w/ Ti French press), a light sleeping bag and blanket if I need to pull an all-nighter on the road (BTDT), hygiene items and large FAK. Tools sorta go with it being a truck.

If I didn't have a truck I'd have a duffel or container set up as a trunk kit. If you travel by mass-transit -- sorry, I'm out of ideas, back to your messenger bag.

As always, YMMV.

#302271 - 02/03/24 02:18 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
In my situation I found that carrying lots of gear on me anytime away from home was a non-starter for many of the reasons mentioned here. The backpack became what you'd take on a weekend hike -- way too much for EDC. Now I'm down to pocket carry for EDC.

Experience has taught me what I need to have on me when I'm away from home. Experience has also taught me that the first aid kit I have on me is more than what I need, hence why I will build one to fulfill my needs.

Given that experience is my teacher, I would like to know if experience has taught you that you need everything in the backpack you mentioned. If not, how heavy of a bag would you carry if you only carried what you required in the past?

Jeanette Isabelle

#302272 - 02/03/24 03:34 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Experience taught me to lighten the load and leave the bulk of the kit in the truck. Some EDC items need to be on you, I reduced it to pocket carry for daily items -- wallet, keys, cellphone, folder and flashlight; some items just need to be nearby, in my case out in the parking lot.

#302274 - 02/03/24 06:47 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

My truck OTOH is always nearby -- home, work, shopping, traveling... The kit in the truck is good for quite a few days and includes food, water, coffee (w/ Ti French press), a light sleeping bag and blanket if I need to pull an all-nighter on the road (BTDT), hygiene items and large FAK. Tools sorta go with it being a truck.

I regret not addressing this aspect of your post in my previous response. Have you ever been in an unexpected situation where you had to be away from home for a few days? Over the years, I have been fortunate enough to access the food and beverages I require within a few hours or overnight, even if the options were limited. However, I'd like to know if you have faced any difficulties in this regard.

I have always found suitable sleeping arrangements, even if it meant sleeping on a couch or a carpeted floor. However, maintaining hygiene is a bit more challenging when away from home. I always carry the necessary items with me, but for everything else, I have to manage without them. It takes some time, but I have learned to adapt to these situations.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302276 - 02/05/24 12:39 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I have never been stung by a scorpion but have encountered them twice. The first time was when I was a small child, and a scorpion entered our house. The second time was during summer camp when a scorpion entered our cabin. Because of these experiences, I am considering purchasing a Scorpion Finder. I want to see if it will become a part of my everyday carry.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302277 - 02/05/24 06:23 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I try to plan in order to avoid unexpected situations - so far I've been lucky. Those times when I've needed to be away from home I've planned to either camp out with relatives (guest room) or I stayed in a hotel/motel.

Many years back I slept in the truck simply because I over-estimated my ability to put off sleep. Pulled over at an interstate rest stop for 5 hours and then back on the road. A hotel was just across the interstate from where I'd had dinner so it would have been easy to stop, but I chose to press on.

Since that bad choice, I've stopped and used that hotel as a rest stop a few times, the hotel has an excellent restaurant.

One issue in planning is how much time I've allowed for a certain trip. In the past I tried to drive in one day (literally 24 hours) what should done in two or even three days. Weather/season being an issue because driving through some mountain passes in winter can extend time on the road. Now that I've experienced those delays, I plan for it.

#302278 - 02/05/24 06:28 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

https://www.batteryjunction.com/jetbeam-jet-uv-blue is the UV light I have handy. More than a few uses, but nothing that I'd carry for EDC.

#302279 - 02/05/24 06:53 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

I try to plan in order to avoid unexpected situations - so far I've been lucky. Those times when I've needed to be away from home I've planned to either camp out with relatives (guest room) or I stayed in a hotel/motel.

Back in my younger days, I resided in Dallas and had friends who were always up for anything. We constantly got into unexpected situations, but I found them quite exhilarating. Without those experiences, life would have been incredibly dull. However, there was one particular incident that I could have done without. I remember planting both of my knees in the unforgiving concrete and the excruciating pain that followed. For two long months, I was unable to walk correctly, and I had to wear shorts in the dead of winter to avoid irritating my injuries. Despite the discomfort, I was always ready for whatever the unpredictable world had in store for me.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.