Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#302234 - 01/15/24 04:55 PM Re: How is everyone doing in The Big Frosty? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Coldest it got here was -32C. No problems to report. Neighbor down the road had a couple of partially frozen pipes which was remedied with a heat gun that I loaned him.

I keep seeing on the news websites about the wind chill factor and a lot of it is clickbait. Everyone needs to keep in mind that windchill is defined as below.

What is wind chill temperature?
The wind chill temperature is how cold people and animals feel when outside. Wind chill is based on the rate of heat loss from exposed skin caused by wind and cold. As the wind increases, it draws heat from the body, driving down skin temperature and eventually the internal body temperature. Therefore, the wind makes it FEEL much colder. If the temperature is 0°F and the wind is blowing at 15 mph, the wind chill is -19°F. At this wind chill temperature, exposed skin can freeze in 30 minutes.

So if you are in the house, or in your car etc, then wind chill has zero affect on you.

Does wind chill apply only to people and animals?
Yes, wind chill applies only to people and animals. The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to more quickly cool the object to the current air temperature. The object will NOT cool below the actual air temperature. For example, if the temperature outside is -5°F and the wind chill temperature is -31°F, then your car's radiator will not drop lower than -5°F.

Source:
https://www.weather.gov/safety/cold-faqs

John Lubbock

#302235 - 01/15/24 06:55 PM Re: How is everyone doing in The Big Frosty? [Re: chaosmagnet]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
My house is heated by a natural gas furnace. My plan, if the gas is still working and the power is out, involves wiring a pigtail in where the furnace’s cutoff switch is located, and using a large power bank backed up by a small generator. ...

Same plan here. Now that I have a little genny I can run many big fans to distribute heat or a small heater. I can also power an air compressor to help blow down the blue water lines if I have to; most homes have so many dips and doglegs in the piping that a gravity draindown won't cut it. I also keep enough RV antifreeze to protect all the traps.

#302236 - 01/15/24 09:31 PM Re: How is everyone doing in The Big Frosty? [Re: dougwalkabout]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Same plan here. Now that I have a little genny I can run many big fans to distribute heat or a small heater. I can also power an air compressor to help blow down the blue water lines if I have to; most homes have so many dips and doglegs in the piping that a gravity draindown won't cut it. I also keep enough RV antifreeze to protect all the traps.

I figured draining at the lowest point I can get to would be “enough” for blue water lines, as there’d be plenty of air-filled pipe for water to expand into as it froze. We’ve only ever once had a drain line freeze (exposed in the garage). After I wrapped it in pipe heating tape we haven’t had the issue since.

How would one use compressed air to get the rest of the blue water out?

#302237 - 01/15/24 10:29 PM Re: How is everyone doing in The Big Frosty? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Example: I have a little seasonal cabin that I winterize every fall. I made an RV style blow-out adapter so I can attach my compressor hose to the outside tap. I open that tap and open one leg of the water piping, apply toots of compressed air (volume is more important than pressure). I then rotate through the other legs. I usually make a quick second pass because sometimes there's enough residual water to drain back into a low spot.

#302238 - 01/15/24 10:32 PM Re: How is everyone doing in The Big Frosty? [Re: dougwalkabout]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.