Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I have the following issues:

• Balance
  • Low blood sugar
  • Asthma
  • Anxiety
  • Throat - I can't swallow pills
  • Occasional heartburn

My EDC bag is a culmination of my experiences. My bag needed to be a 24-hour urban survival kit. I can't remember how many times I found myself on an unplanned overnight adventure, and everything I needed was what I had on me. There have been a couple of times when Mom and I needed to be at our destination that minute, and all I could do was grab what I could as I walked out the door. In both cases, that was my bag and jacket. In other words, no cell phone.

However, Mom has commented on the weight of my EDC bag, stating that years of carrying that weight would hurt my frame. Yesterday, after putting my bag on a diet, I laid all the contents on the table before her for a further reduction.

The following is the current plan for my EDC, including an AMK Ultralight/Watertight .3 I ordered to replace my current FAK. Having three of certain items has been a practice that has proven to work for me, similar to the adage "one is none." Some more sensitive items, which take negligible space and weight, won't be mentioned. A brief explanation will be provided if needed:

• Medical ID Bracelet
  • Keychain with whistle and pill fob - The pill fob holds six tablets of Lorazepam (anxiety medication)
  • Cane - Balance
  • Wallet
  • Cell phone
  • 8 Pack cracker sandwiches - Low blood sugar, kept in original packing to prevent crushing
  • Glucometer - Low blood sugar
  • Three bottles of Glucerna - Low blood sugar
  • Washcloth - coughing, holding it helps with anxiety
  • Two 8-ounce bottles of water - the second bottle is for mixing with Alka-Seltzer or giving to one in need
  • Three pouches of Alka-Seltzer in a zip-lock bag - The best thing for occasional heartburn
  • Sunglasses and case
  • Lorazepam - Anxiety
  • Propranolol - Anxiety
  • Albuterol - Asthma
  • Anti Gas - Anxiety triggers gas
  • Chewable Aspirin - I can't swallow pills
  • Carmex
  • Kleenex Pocket Pack
  • Ultralight/Watertight .3 - Has helped myself, friends, and family, including with two scraped knees and a wardrobe malfunction
  • EMT Shears - Used with Ultralight/Watertight .3, cutting tool
  • Pen
  • Bus schedule - I need a reminder of when the bus arrives
  • Bottle of Powerade or Propel - I'm always thirsty

Does anyone have suggestions for reducing weight while meeting the needs mentioned above?

Edit: I ordered the Photon Micro-Light II and am also considering adding flushable wipes back in.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (01/07/24 10:48 PM)

#302195 - 01/08/24 03:28 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Quote:
Does anyone have suggestions for reducing weight while meeting the needs mentioned above?

You haven't mentioned what kind of bag you're using. That might be a way to save a little weight. For myself, if I find a bag that works well, I tend to not fuss over a few ounces.

Otherwise I'm not sure what to suggest. Your EDC needs to work for you, not necessarily for others.

#302196 - 01/08/24 04:40 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: chaosmagnet]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
You haven't mentioned what kind of bag you're using. That might be a way to save a little weight. For myself, if I find a bag that works well, I tend to not fuss over a few ounces.

I'm using a messenger bag, which is larger than a purse.

Otherwise I'm not sure what to suggest. Your EDC needs to work for you, not necessarily for others.

I'm wondering if anyone has a lighter-weight solution. However, in some situations, such as low blood sugar, that is not possible. As my doctor has explained what works for one hypoglycemic patient may not work for another.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302197 - 01/08/24 05:08 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The one thing that might make you more comfortable carrying the weight would be to change from a messenger-type bag to a backpack. In my case, I made that change for my (heavy!) laptop and IT-service bag, and it helped me substantially.

#302198 - 01/08/24 09:11 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
DaveL Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado Springs,CO
No such thing as flushable wipes, I am retired master plumber

#302199 - 01/09/24 12:55 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: DaveL]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: DaveL
No such thing as flushable wipes, I am retired master plumber

For context, the brand I use is Cottonelle. Is there anything I should know or do?

Jeanette Isabelle

#302200 - 01/09/24 01:34 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

For context, the brand I use is Cottonelle. Is there anything I should know or do?

Jeanette Isabelle

As they are non-flushable the only solution is to put used one in a trash bin.

#302201 - 01/09/24 01:52 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Herman30]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Herman30

It would be unhygienic to dispose of flushable wipes in the trash can since they are designed to be flushed.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302202 - 01/09/24 06:37 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

It would be unhygienic to dispose of flushable wipes in the trash can since they are designed to be flushed.

They are claimed to flushable. The point is that is not correct.

The trash collection system deals with disposable diapers. Those are pretty unhygenic.

I think the main trash-disposal issues are really only with medical sharps, contagious medical wastes, and chemical/radioactive toxics.

If your glucometer uses lancets, there are tiny portable sharps containers that are good for travel, e.g., FINEPRO 0.2L Size Portable Pen-Needle Disposal Container Diabetes Care

#302203 - 01/09/24 07:00 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There have been a few documentaries about so called 'flushable' wipes. If you are out of town on your own septic system you have to have them dug out when they fill the tank. Same with city sewer systems, they eventually build up a big pile and clog the pipes and someone has to dig them out.

That sharps container is perfect for wife's (diabetic) needles, ordering one.

#302204 - 01/09/24 07:59 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Michael2]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Michael2
I think the main trash-disposal issues are really only with medical sharps, contagious medical wastes, and chemical/radioactive toxics.

If your glucometer uses lancets, there are tiny portable sharps containers that are good for travel, e.g., FINEPRO 0.2L Size Portable Pen-Needle Disposal Container Diabetes Care

I have a sharps container at home, but I hadn't considered getting a travel-size unit until you suggested it.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302205 - 01/09/24 09:51 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Useful at home even, wife has went from the big trulicity pens to the new ozsomething which just have a tiny double needle in a removable tip so we no longer need a big container at home

Edited by Eugene (01/09/24 09:51 PM)

#302207 - 01/11/24 12:52 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I received the AMK Ultralight/Watertight .3, but it's not the same first aid kit I had before. I'll have to make my own.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302208 - 01/11/24 02:04 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Herman30]
Carpal Tunnel

Today, I noticed a sign in one of the clinic bathrooms requesting that flushable wipes be disposed of in the trash bin. Although I didn't use one, I would comply with the request as I would with any similar request at any other place.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302209 - 01/11/24 07:18 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

In my country it is same thing. There are so called flushable inner cardboard rolls in TP rolls but anybody who is proffessional plumber say they are not, they clogg the plumbing.

#302210 - 01/11/24 08:07 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

The one thing that might make you more comfortable carrying the weight would be to change from a messenger-type bag to a backpack. In my case, I made that change for my (heavy!) laptop and IT-service bag, and it helped me substantially.

I asked my mom which was more inconspicuous, a backpack or a messenger bag. Despite living in a college town, we don't reside in that particular area. According to my mom, a messenger bag is the more subtle option for our area. I plan to continue reducing the weight of my shoulder bag wherever possible.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302211 - 01/11/24 08:28 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I received the keychain flashlight today and attached it to my keychain. As the AMK Ultralight/Watertight .3 did not work out, I plan to assemble my own FAK.

I intend to purchase travel-size flushable wipes and a portable sharps container. Could you suggest which sharps container I should get? Considering the rigorous use my bag goes through, I need something secure, and the option with the sliding lid seems to be the most secure.

Ever Ready First Aid Porta Sharps Transportable Sharps Container with Locking Mechanism - 6 Count
Alcedo Portable Sharps Container for Tra..., Medical Grade

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (01/11/24 08:31 PM)

#302212 - 01/11/24 11:31 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

Ever Ready First Aid Porta Sharps Transportable Sharps Container with Locking Mechanism - 6 Count

I got those first and returned them immediately. It seemed they are intended to be single use. You put ONE item in, lock it closed, and that's it.

Please see the one-star reviews on Amazon.

#302213 - 01/11/24 11:47 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Michael2]
Carpal Tunnel

I got those first and returned them immediately. It seemed they are intended to be single use. You put ONE item in, lock it closed, and that's it.

In a previous post, you shared a link to the following. Is this the unit you recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09V5QYRP6?th=1

Jeanette Isabelle

#302214 - 01/12/24 05:09 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Herman30]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
In my country it is same thing. There are so called flushable inner cardboard rolls in TP rolls but anybody who is proffessional plumber say they are not, they clogg the plumbing.

It seems like is a lot a misinformation regarding flushable items out there. Paper handkerchiefs are not flushable either. I recently put one through a washing and dryer cycle by accident. It worked its way out of the pant pocket and survived. It was separated into 4 clean, undamaged layers. I my youth they used to disintegrate and decorate the entire laundry.

#302215 - 01/12/24 05:30 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

Is this the unit you recommend? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09V5QYRP6
It's the one I bought and use. Works for me.

Edited by Michael2 (01/12/24 05:31 AM)

#302216 - 01/12/24 03:21 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I removed my 4-ounce bottle of hand sanitizer when I put my bag on a diet. However, I realized that I always need hand sanitizer whenever I am away from home. There have been times when I have faced problems with the plumbing or water supply. Additionally, there have been numerous occasions when there were no paper towels in public restrooms, or the hand dryer was not working. In such situations, having a small bottle of hand sanitizer is quite useful. Therefore, I have decided to get a one or two-ounce bottle of hand sanitizer.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302217 - 01/12/24 03:41 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
Paper handkerchiefs are not flushable either.

I had never heard of paper handkerchiefs before, so I looked it up online. In the United States, we refer to them as facial tissues.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302218 - 01/12/24 07:06 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

I asked my mom which was more inconspicuous, a backpack or a messenger bag.

Jeanette Isabelle

I fail to understand why a backpack would make you less inconsicuous.Especially if the backpack is civilian and bright colored and not tactical with molle.

#302219 - 01/12/24 07:36 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Herman30]
Carpal Tunnel

I fail to understand why a backpack would make you less inconsicuous.Especially if the backpack is civilian and bright colored and not tactical with molle.

The key factor is the attire of other individuals in the vicinity. If you carry a backpack, regardless of whether it appears as a non-military design, and none of the other people in the area are carrying one, then it will attract attention. I wouldn't even want to hint that I'm a prepper.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302220 - 01/12/24 07:55 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

The key factor is the attire of other individuals in the vicinity. If you carry a backpack, regardless of whether it appears as a non-military design, and none of the other people in the area are carrying one, then it will attract attention. I wouldn't even want to hint that I'm a prepper.

Jeanette Isabelle

OK, since I donīt know your surroundings itīs hard to comment anything. Here in my country we donīt have that kind of problem. Backpacks are a commong thing to lug your daily stuff and prepping is not a thing here.

#302221 - 01/12/24 08:04 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Herman30]
Carpal Tunnel

OK, since I donīt know your surroundings itīs hard to comment anything. Here in my country we donīt have that kind of problem. Backpacks are a commong thing to lug your daily stuff and prepping is not a thing here.

I strive to provide comprehensive information, but I am uncertain how it is received, particularly by individuals from different regions of the world.

Additionally, most Americans do not engage in prepping, which is why we aim to maintain a low profile.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302240 - 01/22/24 04:49 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Can you add a waist belt or a second shoulder strap to distribute the load?

I use an old pill bottle for sharps.

Fluids are the heaviest. Perhaps carry just water and bring powdered ingredients to mix needed drinks.

There are backpacks that don't look prepper at all. Maybe something in Hello Kitty.

Edited by clearwater (01/22/24 05:09 PM)

#302242 - 01/22/24 05:36 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: clearwater]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: clearwater
Fluids are the heaviest. Perhaps carry just water and bring powdered ingredients to mix needed drinks.

I assume you're suggesting that having Powerade or Propel with two bottles of water is too much. While I like the security of carrying extra water, I understand the weight issue and will consider it.

Originally Posted By: clearwater
There are backpacks that don't look prepper at all. Maybe something in Hello Kitty.

Wearing a backpack, even a Hello Kitty one, would attract attention if no one else in the area is wearing one.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302244 - 01/22/24 06:35 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In a previous post, you shared a link to the following. Is this the unit you recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09V5QYRP6?th=1

Jeanette Isabelle

Those are the ones I ordered. Wife changed from trulicity to ozempic a few months ago, the Ozempic have just a tiny double ended needle cap that unscrews from the pen. These containers appear to be designed exactly for the ozempic as the needle end of them fits in exactly.

#302245 - 01/22/24 07:44 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Eugene]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Those are the ones I ordered. Wife changed from trulicity to ozempic a few months ago, the Ozempic have just a tiny double ended needle cap that unscrews from the pen. These containers appear to be designed exactly for the ozempic as the needle end of them fits in exactly.

According to the video, the device accepts any lancet.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302246 - 01/23/24 12:26 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Wearing a backpack, even a Hello Kitty one, would attract attention if no one else in the area is wearing one.

And you donīt think a fully laden messenger bag draw any attention if someone is out for a prey?
Sorry but I think it is silly this fear of carrying a backpack.

Edited by Herman30 (01/23/24 12:27 PM)

#302247 - 01/23/24 02:28 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Herman30]
Carpal Tunnel

And you donīt think a fully laden messenger bag draw any attention if someone is out for a prey?
Sorry but I think it is silly this fear of carrying a backpack.

When someone is on the lookout for something, they become highly alert and observant, noticing even the slightest of details. Therefore, trying to be incognito or hiding will not work against that person. No matter how hard you try to blend in, they will spot you.

To avoid drawing any attention, my objective in being the "grey man" is to become a part of the background, disappearing into the crowd. The idea is to be as unremarkable as possible so that nobody remembers you.

Being the "grey man" is not about being invisible but about being unnoticed. It's about not leaving any lasting impression on anyone's mind. The goal is to be like a chameleon, seamlessly blending in with your surroundings and adapting to any situation.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302248 - 01/23/24 02:33 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I agree with Herman30, carrying anything will make more of a target than not carrying anything and a messenger bag is going to be easier to steal than a backpack so it would make you more of a target.

#302249 - 01/23/24 03:29 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Eugene]
Carpal Tunnel

I agree with Herman30, carrying anything will make more of a target than not carrying anything and a messenger bag is going to be easier to steal than a backpack so it would make you more of a target.

I specifically addressed Herman's concern about "if someone is out for a prey," not which type of bag is easier to steal.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302250 - 01/23/24 09:43 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What I mean is the messenger bag makes you less of a greyman and more "prey" because its easier to grab and run.

If your a "bad guy" and see three people walking, one has nothing, one a backpack, and one a messenger bag, which would you target?

The "bad guy" is going to target the messenger bag because he can run by and grab and yank it off easily. The backpack with two straps would be harder to take allowing the wearer more time to fight back.

So the messenger bag is the least "grey" of all.

#302251 - 01/23/24 10:51 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Eugene]
Carpal Tunnel

What I mean is the messenger bag makes you less of a greyman and more "prey" because its easier to grab and run.

If your a "bad guy" and see three people walking, one has nothing, one a backpack, and one a messenger bag, which would you target?

The "bad guy" is going to target the messenger bag because he can run by and grab and yank it off easily. The backpack with two straps would be harder to take allowing the wearer more time to fight back.

So the messenger bag is the least "grey" of all.

My concern is not the pickpocketer scanning a crowd to find the next victim. It's about not leaving a lasting impression on anyone's mind.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302252 - 01/24/24 01:26 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

My concern is...about not leaving a lasting impression on anyone's mind.

So what is the bottom line why you donīt want anybody to remember you or what you look like? What do you fear would happen if someone remember and recognise you? If itīs not fear of someone stealing your stuff.

Because the way I dress and carry a front pack on my breast I stand out like a sore thumb and I donīt care one bit about it.
It might be my age (57) that makes me not give a flying hoot what others think of me.

Edited by Herman30 (01/24/24 01:32 PM)

#302253 - 01/24/24 02:44 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Herman30]
Carpal Tunnel

So what is the bottom line why you donīt want anybody to remember you or what you look like? What do you fear would happen if someone remember and recognise you? If itīs not fear of someone stealing your stuff.

Because the way I dress and carry a front pack on my breast I stand out like a sore thumb and I donīt care one bit about it.
It might be my age (57) that makes me not give a flying hoot what others think of me.

Imagine if I were to wear a backpack in a place where most people don't wear them. It wouldn't matter if the backpack was something as harmless as a Hello Kitty backpack, I would still give off the impression that I am a prepper. While this may not be seen as negative at the moment, I worry that in a catastrophic event like a New Madrid earthquake or a collapse of the dollar, people will remember me as a possible prepper. This is something that I would like to avoid.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302254 - 01/25/24 02:45 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

• Washcloth - coughing, holding it helps with anxiety

Yesterday, I had a meeting with my social worker to discuss ways to cope with my anxiety. During our conversation, we delved into the topic of things that help me feel better when I'm feeling claustrophobic. I pulled out a soft, white washcloth from my bag and explained to her how holding it helps me stay calm. She then asked me if it was the texture of the cloth that helped me feel better. While I wasn't sure, I mentioned that I had considered switching it out for something like a bandana, but I didn't think it would work.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302255 - 01/26/24 01:23 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Today, while I was shopping in the travel-size section, I bought a one-ounce bottle of hand sanitizer and a travel-size pack of flushable wipes. Additionally, I came across a 1.75-ounce jar of Vaseline. Although I cannot recall ever needing Vaseline during any of my impromptu adventures, I have found it necessary for my weekend trips. I am undecided whether I should include it in my EDC bag, but I will update my list once I assemble my first aid kit, which I plan to do in February.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302267 - 02/01/24 07:30 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I won't be able to purchase the necessary items to assemble my first aid kit this February. Additionally, I have an expense that I need to cover in March, which may further delay my ability to obtain the supplies. I want to build my kit by April.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302269 - 02/03/24 12:25 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Interesting thread about what and how to carry. Messenger bag or backpack is personal preference. Backpack can definitely carry more, but if you prefer the messenger then so-be-it.

In my situation I found that carrying lots of gear on me anytime away from home was a non-starter for many of the reasons mentioned here. The backpack became what you'd take on a weekend hike -- way too much for EDC. Now I'm down to pocket carry for EDC.

My truck OTOH is always nearby -- home, work, shopping, traveling... The kit in the truck is good for quite a few days and includes food, water, coffee (w/ Ti French press), a light sleeping bag and blanket if I need to pull an all-nighter on the road (BTDT), hygiene items and large FAK. Tools sorta go with it being a truck.

If I didn't have a truck I'd have a duffel or container set up as a trunk kit. If you travel by mass-transit -- sorry, I'm out of ideas, back to your messenger bag.

As always, YMMV.

#302271 - 02/03/24 02:18 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
In my situation I found that carrying lots of gear on me anytime away from home was a non-starter for many of the reasons mentioned here. The backpack became what you'd take on a weekend hike -- way too much for EDC. Now I'm down to pocket carry for EDC.

Experience has taught me what I need to have on me when I'm away from home. Experience has also taught me that the first aid kit I have on me is more than what I need, hence why I will build one to fulfill my needs.

Given that experience is my teacher, I would like to know if experience has taught you that you need everything in the backpack you mentioned. If not, how heavy of a bag would you carry if you only carried what you required in the past?

Jeanette Isabelle

#302272 - 02/03/24 03:34 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Experience taught me to lighten the load and leave the bulk of the kit in the truck. Some EDC items need to be on you, I reduced it to pocket carry for daily items -- wallet, keys, cellphone, folder and flashlight; some items just need to be nearby, in my case out in the parking lot.

#302274 - 02/03/24 06:47 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

My truck OTOH is always nearby -- home, work, shopping, traveling... The kit in the truck is good for quite a few days and includes food, water, coffee (w/ Ti French press), a light sleeping bag and blanket if I need to pull an all-nighter on the road (BTDT), hygiene items and large FAK. Tools sorta go with it being a truck.

I regret not addressing this aspect of your post in my previous response. Have you ever been in an unexpected situation where you had to be away from home for a few days? Over the years, I have been fortunate enough to access the food and beverages I require within a few hours or overnight, even if the options were limited. However, I'd like to know if you have faced any difficulties in this regard.

I have always found suitable sleeping arrangements, even if it meant sleeping on a couch or a carpeted floor. However, maintaining hygiene is a bit more challenging when away from home. I always carry the necessary items with me, but for everything else, I have to manage without them. It takes some time, but I have learned to adapt to these situations.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302276 - 02/05/24 12:39 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I have never been stung by a scorpion but have encountered them twice. The first time was when I was a small child, and a scorpion entered our house. The second time was during summer camp when a scorpion entered our cabin. Because of these experiences, I am considering purchasing a Scorpion Finder. I want to see if it will become a part of my everyday carry.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302277 - 02/05/24 06:23 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I try to plan in order to avoid unexpected situations - so far I've been lucky. Those times when I've needed to be away from home I've planned to either camp out with relatives (guest room) or I stayed in a hotel/motel.

Many years back I slept in the truck simply because I over-estimated my ability to put off sleep. Pulled over at an interstate rest stop for 5 hours and then back on the road. A hotel was just across the interstate from where I'd had dinner so it would have been easy to stop, but I chose to press on.

Since that bad choice, I've stopped and used that hotel as a rest stop a few times, the hotel has an excellent restaurant.

One issue in planning is how much time I've allowed for a certain trip. In the past I tried to drive in one day (literally 24 hours) what should done in two or even three days. Weather/season being an issue because driving through some mountain passes in winter can extend time on the road. Now that I've experienced those delays, I plan for it.

#302278 - 02/05/24 06:28 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

https://www.batteryjunction.com/jetbeam-jet-uv-blue is the UV light I have handy. More than a few uses, but nothing that I'd carry for EDC.

#302279 - 02/05/24 06:53 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

I try to plan in order to avoid unexpected situations - so far I've been lucky. Those times when I've needed to be away from home I've planned to either camp out with relatives (guest room) or I stayed in a hotel/motel.

Back in my younger days, I resided in Dallas and had friends who were always up for anything. We constantly got into unexpected situations, but I found them quite exhilarating. Without those experiences, life would have been incredibly dull. However, there was one particular incident that I could have done without. I remember planting both of my knees in the unforgiving concrete and the excruciating pain that followed. For two long months, I was unable to walk correctly, and I had to wear shorts in the dead of winter to avoid irritating my injuries. Despite the discomfort, I was always ready for whatever the unpredictable world had in store for me.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302312 - 02/27/24 02:13 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Last week, I added a pill splitter to my everyday carry. I made sure to get a compact unit. Sometimes, when I'm out, I may need to take my Lorazepam, but half a pill or even a quarter is all that I need. Breaking the pill in half without a splitter is hard enough as it is because the break is only sometimes even. Attempting to break it into a quarter without a splitter evenly is even more difficult.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302313 - 02/27/24 04:36 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Kind of a boring one but I added a few hundred more round of .300 Blackout and 5.56 ammo to my stash. grin

#302314 - 02/27/24 01:42 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

Having essential preventative tools is important, but how have you reduced the weight of your everyday carry?

Jeanette Isabelle

#302317 - 02/28/24 08:07 AM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Sorry, Jeanette- I was trying to post in the "what have you done to prepare today" thread. blush I had two windows open at once! My EDC is unchanged although lately I've been leaving my HK P2000 at home and carrying my Ruger LCRx instead. Less capable than the HK but half the weight.

#302325 - 03/02/24 04:12 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
I reduced the weight by going from a Glock 19 to a Glock 43 as part of my edc. drastically lighter, the 19 was moved into a support role as part of my car kit. picked up a pen and am pleased with it so far.

pen

https://countycomm.com/collections/pens/products/pop-pop-out-pen-by-acme-tek
I have an extra.

#302374 - 04/16/24 02:42 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

The list below outlines the essential items I intend to include in my first aid kit and the bag I plan to store. I have considered all the required items while traveling or away from home, not just for myself but also for others. For instance, there were two instances in which someone else required Ibuprofen, and there was one instance where I needed an ice pack. However, considering the bulkiness of an ice pack, it would be impractical to carry it daily, so I am open to suggestions for lighter-weight alternatives. I sincerely hope that everything else on my list will fit into the bag, but I am open to any suggestions you may have.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01420rd/minimalist-bag.html

MEDICAL INFORMATION
(1) Wilderness & Travel Medicine

PERSONAL PROTECTION
(1) Biohazard Waste Bag
(2) Personal Antimicrobial Wipe
(1) Respirator Mask
(1) Bear Claw Glove Kit

WOUND / BLISTER / BURN
(1) 30 Band-Aid, 6 Knuckle, 6 Moleskin
(1) Durapore Tape, 1"
(1) Stretch Gauze, 3" x 12 yds.
(4) Sterile Gauze Pad, 3" x 3"
(6) Povidone-Iodine Prep Pad

IMMOBILIZATION
(1) Elastic Bandage Wrap, 3" x 4.5 yds.

MEDICATION
(6) Ibuprofen, 2/pk (Anti-inflammatory)
(6) Triple Antibiotic Ointment, 0.9 g
(3) Alka-Seltzer
(3) Propel Packets
(1) Insect Bite Treatment

INSTRUMENTS
(1) EMT Shears, 7.25"
(1) Tweezers
(2) Safety Pins

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (04/16/24 03:22 PM)

#302375 - 04/16/24 03:13 PM Re: EDC Reduction [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

During a previous incident at my workplace, I accidentally cut my hand with a box cutter. This incident made me realize the importance of having the right first aid supplies readily available. The person who assisted me used hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound and then dressed it with a few gauze pads and some tape. However, in a similar incident, a 5" x 9" trauma pad, a solution I'm considering, may not be suitable for the palm of my hand. Also, the four or five gauze pads I plan to include in my first aid kit may not be enough to treat such an injury. Therefore, I am urgently seeking to understand if I could include compressed gauze or another solution in my first aid kit and if it would be more effective in treating such an injury.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 266 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.