The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#301870 - 07/06/23 05:29 PM FAA first aid kit for passenger-carrying airplanes
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

14 CFR § 121.803 Emergency medical equipment:

"For treatment of injuries, medical events, or minor accidents that might occur during flight time each airplane must have the following equipment that meets the specifications and requirements of appendix A of this part

I was interested to see that it's not a huge list. Here, for example, is the full list of drugs (some of which are injectable):

Analgesic, non-narcotic, tablets, 325 mg
Antihistamine tablets, 25 mg
Antihistamine injectable, 50 mg, (single dose ampule or equivalent)
Atropine, 0.5 mg, 5 cc (single dose ampule or equivalent)
Aspirin tablets, 325 mg
Bronchodilator, inhaled (metered dose inhaler or equivalent)
Dextrose, 50%/50 cc injectable, (single dose ampule or equivalent)
Epinephrine 1:1000, 1 cc, injectable, (single dose ampule or equivalent)
Epinephrine 1:10,000, 2 cc, injectable, (single dose ampule or equivalent)
Lidocaine, 5 cc, 20 mg/ml, injectable (single dose ampule or equivalent)
Nitroglycerin tablets, 0.4 mg

#301871 - 07/06/23 10:23 PM Re: FAA first aid kit for passenger-carrying airplanes [Re: Michael2]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Seems to make sense. Looks like for treating potentially fatal allergic reactions & heart complications. Dextrose I guess is for hypoglycemia.

#301872 - 07/07/23 12:43 AM Re: FAA first aid kit for passenger-carrying airplanes [Re: Michael2]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm sure the list of meds has been carefully chosen and well-vetted. The goal is to get a passenger on the ground alive, where EMS can take over.

To my mind, the challenge is assessment, determining which medication to use. This is surely far above standard first aid. I suppose if there is a physician or paramedic on board, it gives them tools to work with.

#301873 - 07/07/23 01:24 AM Re: FAA first aid kit for passenger-carrying airplanes [Re: Ren]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Ren
Dextrose I guess is for hypoglycemia.

I have just searched on Google and can confirm that your statement is accurate.

https://www.mtshs.com/dextrose-50-injection-single-dose-vial-50-ml.html

Jeanette Isabelle

#301874 - 07/07/23 02:04 AM Re: FAA first aid kit for passenger-carrying airplanes [Re: dougwalkabout]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

The kits were initially developed when it became apparent that medical help was available on board, but too often drugs needed were not.

The med kit is based on the experience that the vast majority of flights have someone on board who has some medical experience, nurse, doctor, NP, PA, EMT, paramedic, other first responders, etc. First thing is the announce on the PA seeking such folks. Been on flights when that happens and each time there's more than one and the most appropriate is selected to work the patient. That's who assess the patient and, if needed, will administer drugs and decide if an emergency landing at the nearest city or town is needed. Fallback is the Flight Attendants who are well trained in the most likely issues and when and when not to intervene.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#301875 - 07/07/23 03:29 AM Re: FAA first aid kit for passenger-carrying airplanes [Re: Michael2]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Makes sense! Thanks for the details.

#301969 - 08/22/23 05:49 AM Re: FAA first aid kit for passenger-carrying airplanes [Re: Michael2]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

Query: If u r an EMT or Paramedic or even a former EMT/Paramedic or trained in Advanced First Aid by Red Cross, in your home state, and you answer a call for help from the flight attendant, over ur home state or a different state, do u get any immunity from lawsuit or criminal prosecution if say the patient dies or has an allergic reaction, etc.? Is there a Federal Good Samaritan Law or equivalent FAA Rule or Statutory protection? And yes I am a former volunteer EMT who is also an attorney. Honestly, I would be leery of volunteering my help without such protections. This is especially true if it came to administering medications, even with a physician on the ground giving me radioed instructions.

#301972 - 08/22/23 07:46 PM Re: FAA first aid kit for passenger-carrying airplanes [Re: Michael2]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
The Good Samaritan Laws should cover everyone, with limitations that might include administering prescription meds (guessing).

I would never give prescription meds or otc meds above what is on the label unless I had a medical license and liability insurance.

#301973 - 08/23/23 02:14 AM Re: FAA first aid kit for passenger-carrying airplanes [Re: Michael2]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Acropolis50 asks a good question.

In the USA, on a commercial aircraft in controlled airspace, are you solely in a federal jurisdiction? And what are the rules regarding liability?

Or, are you subject to the laws of the jurisdiction you happen to be flying over at the time? That would be a legal nightmare.

#301975 - 08/23/23 05:36 PM Re: FAA first aid kit for passenger-carrying airplanes [Re: Michael2]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm not an attorney.

Here's what I found: "...the US adopted legislation in 1998 in the form of the Aviation Medical Assistance Act, which includes a Good Samaritan provision. This protects passengers who step forward to offer medical assistance from liability unless they are guilty of gross negligence or wilful misconduct."

If you stay within your scope of practice you should be in good shape with regard to liability.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (gcarlson), 248 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.