Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#301822 - 06/20/23 10:06 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: MartinFocazio]
Robert_McCall Offline
Stranger

I am licensed as well (Extra). What most overlook about shortwave/HF comms for preparedness is that the real value is in single sideband (SSB) transmissions. Yes, broadcast shortwave isn't what it was 30 years ago. But being able to hear SSB from amateur/pirate/emergency transmitters is valuable. In a regional emergency, amateur radio operators will utilize NVIS antenna arrangements to mitigate the skip effect and send info much closer to home.

When shopping for a shortwave receiver, get one that handles SSB, such as the TecSun PL-660 or the amazingly compact Crane Skywave SSB2.

Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio

TLDR: "I haven't been very successful at operating on HF."

Buy a radio like the C.Crane Skywave SSB2 and you'll get FM/AM/NOAA weather/aviation/shortwave SSB in a superbly compact package with it's own longwire antenna for the shortwave. It will be perfectly at home in your EDC or get-home bag, and it runs on a couple of AA batteries. It will be a better radio than most for the common bands, and you'll have access to SSB shortwave. Easy.

#301833 - 06/24/23 05:33 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: Robert_McCall]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Hand a person who knows nothing about radio, SSB, AM, FM, whatever, a SW radio or an FM Radio.

Tell them to find a broadcast. I’ll wait.

Look, I’ve messed with HF, and the term hams use “working” a band or mode is 100% true. It’s work. Yes, you can dial around and hear something with ordinary SW, but I’ll go to the evidence in the case of recent and real major widespread emergencies (Hurricane Sandy, West Coast Wildfires, Blackout in Puerto Rico) and I can’t find anything where SW radio as a broadcast medium was used to communicate with the general populace.

#301860 - 06/29/23 09:39 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: MartinFocazio]
Robert_McCall Offline
Stranger

Hand a person who knows nothing about a fire lay, how to prep tinder, how to find natural tinder, how to shield a fire from wind, etc a ferro rod, Bic, or propane torch.

Tell them to start an effective fire. I'll wait.

You know the rest.

Learn something about a skill, or God forbid practice that skill by working it?! Heaven forfend! Too much effort.

It's easier to just read posts on internet survival forums and call it good.

#301862 - 06/30/23 04:03 AM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: Robert_McCall]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Robert_McCall
Hand a person who knows nothing about a fire lay, how to prep tinder, how to find natural tinder, how to shield a fire from wind, etc a ferro rod, Bic, or propane torch.

Tell them to start an effective fire. I'll wait.

You know the rest.

Learn something about a skill, or God forbid practice that skill by working it?! Heaven forfend! Too much effort.

It's easier to just read posts on internet survival forums and call it good.

The problem with the SW radio is that it is not that obvious that you may need some knowledge and actual practice for operation. The expectation is that the radio is basically plug and play. For many it is just throw in your BOB and call it prepared. I am willing to help people in real live on that topic. Some do not need help. Those how would are mostly in he line of "It´s a radio. Turn a knob and it makes a sound. How hard can that be?".

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 243 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.