The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#301784 - 06/08/23 05:27 PM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: MDinana]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Only so much "preparing" you can do. Whether it's budget, space available, family buy-in....since logging in here, I've moved to 4 different states, and added a wife and 2 kids. Kind of hard lugging all this stuff around.

My record is about the same number of states. For me that means my equipment needs to be moveable. Getting a generator to power the house or storing fuel are out of the equation for me. They are not worth the investment if you're going to move to another state in a few years, or they are too inconvenient to move. That also means I won't keep a garage full of construction material, because I'm not going to move that stuff. If I grow vegetables in my garden, it's just for fun, not for homesteading.

If you aren't so concerned about moving, then you can stock up on all kinds of stuff. The preparation looks like a shopping game. But us mobile folks have to think about what we really need, and if we just need to survive, we don't need that much.

#301786 - 06/09/23 08:47 PM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I think that there are many "general purpose" community sites that encompass the topics we cover here - Reddit being most likely the largest, but we can't rule out the Meta platform.

Those are more modern platforms as well, we're definitely in the "Old School Tech" world here.

That said, I do wish to be more active here, and thanks for the reminder to give this community more attention!

I'll post a few things ASAP!

#301788 - 06/09/23 10:50 PM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I do hang out at Reddit but so far I haven't found a sub as good as ETS. While I don't post every day here I do visit multiple times per day. Generally I try to post only if I can add something substantive to the discussion.

#301807 - 06/14/23 12:02 PM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: Phaedrus]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I do hang out at Reddit but so far I haven't found a sub as good as ETS. While I don't post every day here I do visit multiple times per day. Generally I try to post only if I can add something substantive to the discussion.
I don't do Reddit, but agree about posting.

I pop in about once a month.
Notice the same topics and about the same 5-10 posters.

At the end of the day, though, a lot of the posts are pretty similar. For most of us in N America, there's really only a few things to prep for: loss of power in really hot or really cold weather; hurricanes; tornadoes; earthquakes; civil unrest, and the scary but mythical EMP (which I only care about when it knocks out the power grid, not if my radio and car don't work). That covers like 99% of issues, and if you can cover down on those, you should be good for the other 1%.

Biggest prep most people miss is personal health and wealth (which won'tbuy happiness, but waiting out a disaster by taking a trip to Europe for 2 weeks seems better than gutting it out at home), neither of which this board focuses on.

Edited by MDinana (06/14/23 12:05 PM)

#301811 - 06/16/23 03:44 PM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I miss the contributions of the SAR folks. That kept the discussion lively. It's too bad we've lost the connection with first responders.

I'm glad Mr. Ritter has decided to keep this board alive. No doubt that costs money. As a contributor who tried to make it a good resource, I'd like to voice my appreciation.

I still think a few volunteers building an topical index of threads would be of value. It would make the wealth of knowledge much more accessible, giving us a single link we could share in other places.

#301815 - 06/17/23 12:48 PM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Good idea on the topical index, dougwalkabout.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ratch, Jeanette_Isabelle), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.