Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#301775 - 06/07/23 03:05 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: MDinana]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: MDinana
I guess that's something for you to figure- do your locals broadcast? What are you trying to gain from a shortwave?

I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand your initial question. Shortwave radio is used to receive broadcasts in areas where local broadcasts are not available.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301777 - 06/07/23 03:14 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: M_a_x
OTOH an EMP might fry the equipment of potential braodcasters as well.

To stay connected in case of an EMP, shortwave radio is necessary. Local broadcasters may be affected, but those from other parts of the world will still be accessible.

Jeanette Isabelle

That depends on what "stay connected" means to you. Local broadcasters would be likely to provided information required for managing the problems at hand. An EMP would render anything unshielded using semiconductors useless. That affects large parts of infrastructure. Apart from that many broadcasters limit their power and range to avoid interference.
Anyway a working receiver could be a valueable asset. Just be aware that it could turn out it has limits.
I even have a transceiver built into an Altoids can for emergency comms. It is limited to CW. With a big antenna it has a decent range.

#301778 - 06/07/23 03:24 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
That depends on what "stay connected" means to you. Local broadcasters would be likely to provided information required for managing the problems at hand. An EMP would render anything unshielded using semiconductors useless. That affects large parts of infrastructure. Apart from that many broadcasters limit their power and range to avoid interference.

To prepare for emergencies, we store our shortwave radio in a Faraday bag. In the event of a local blackout caused by a major incident, international broadcasts may be the only way to stay informed. It's likely that news of the incident would spread globally if it was significant enough.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301780 - 06/08/23 03:48 AM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I guess that's something for you to figure- do your locals broadcast? What are you trying to gain from a shortwave?

I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand your initial question. Shortwave radio is used to receive broadcasts in areas where local broadcasts are not available.

Jeanette Isabelle
you asked if I still had access to local broadcasts.

I don't recall.

But I'm not sure anyone was using shortwave locally before an earthquake either. My point is, what I DID hear wasn't useful. And local AM/FM worked just fine.

If there is a disaster, what exactly do you plan to get out of a shortwave? It's not like the radio station half a world away is going to tell you where FEMA is handing things out.

#301782 - 06/08/23 01:40 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: MDinana]
Carpal Tunnel

If there is a disaster, what exactly do you plan to get out of a shortwave? It's not like the radio station half a world away is going to tell you where FEMA is handing things out.

In the event of a local blackout caused by a major incident, international broadcasts may be the only way to stay informed. News of the incident would likely spread globally if it was significant enough. An international broadcast would only say what happened, not what FEMA is doing.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301785 - 06/08/23 05:40 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: MDinana]
Carpal Tunnel

It's not like the radio station half a world away is going to tell you where FEMA is handing things out.

It may be difficult to persuade someone to prepare for emergencies if recent events have not convinced them to do so. Therefore, why would someone be interested in knowing where FEMA is distributing aid?

Jeanette Isabelle

#301789 - 06/09/23 11:11 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a shortwave receiver which is version of the Kaito Electronic Inc,
Tecsun Digital PL368 AM/FM/LW/SW Worldband Radio with Single Side Band

The #1 reason I like this radio is that it's small enough to store in a shielded can. #2 is that it can be recharged via either a USB charging cable or you can remove the battery and charge it outside the radio. I have spare batteries so can go either way.

Receiver bands:
-FM: 64.0 – 108 MHz (4 ranges selectable)
-AM: 520 – 1710 kHz (Tuning step 9/10 KHz selectable)
-LW: 153 KHz to 513 KHz
-SW: 1711 HHz to 29999 KHz

I use it primarily for AM broadcast. It has an internal AM antenna but it also has an AM antenna jack on the top of the radio and a removable external coil antenna which rotates. That small antenna is able to reduce noise and clean up an AM signal quite well by simply rotating to align with the strongest/cleanest signal.

A shortwave long wire antenna clips to the FM antenna if you prefer SW.

FM broadcast is very local, but while some AM stations I've heard are in the state, they aren't necessarily local; AM Clear-Channel stations have lots of power and can have very long range. The SW I've received here seems irrelevant to any emergency and receiving is too dependent on skywaves and such. IMO it's not reliable enough and AM is a better option.

Do a google on "North American ClearChannel AM Radio Stations" and one of the links you'll find is at wikipedia -- Clear-channel_station That wiki-page has a list of "Class A (former I-A/I-B) stations". Since in an emergency the internet may not be available, I compiled station data from different sources (including wiki) and have it stored on my laptop and tablets. I can recharge all electronics using solar panels and power banks.

Transceivers here are all GMRS. I recommend you get a licence, easy and not expensive. It's another good to have option; better to have and not need.

FYI: I did a post about portable solar panels so yeah, I also recommend solar to recharge small devices. YMMV

#301812 - 06/16/23 06:52 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: chaosmagnet]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Like Chaosmagnet, I'm also a radio nerd, licensed on ham radio, GMRS and a lot of other things. I agree 100% with the "SW is last on the list" view.

I've always been at a loss to understand the "we need a SW radio in case of an EMP which will devastate all electronics, so you better get some...electronics...to listen to the SW broadcasts that require...electronics...to function.

Let's skip over that part and go into all the reasons why SW radio is the least optimal choice for almost everyone:

1) It's finicky. That signal you heard just fine 15 minutes ago just faded away. Why? Because (insert long list of reasons).

2) To cover a large area, it requires a HUGE antenna connected to a powerful transmitter to be of any use on the TRANSMIT side, that is unless you DON'T want to cover a large area, in which case atmospheric conditions will align so your signal is skipping through the ionosphere from Washington CD to Florida, but you can't reach the person 5 miles away.

3) When it does work, it's prone to noise from any number of things, like LED lights, lightning that is far far away, and so many other things.

There are more reasons, but these are my majors.

#301813 - 06/16/23 06:57 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Here's some relevant information about SHARES and how it might intersect SW radio:

https://www.cisa.gov/resources-tools/resources/shares-documents

#301814 - 06/16/23 06:59 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

From whom do you expect to get "local" SW "broadcasts" ?

To be clear: It's not like NBC and ABC have the equipment needed to get onto SW frequencies.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.