The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#301759 - 06/06/23 11:27 PM Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
During dinner tonight, my mom and I talked about current events and the possibility of an EMP. We currently own a shortwave radio, but my mom suggested that it would be a good idea for everyone to have one. What are your thoughts on this? Do you believe that everyone should have a shortwave radio?

Jeanette Isabelle

#301760 - 06/07/23 01:41 AM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I’m a radio nerd. I’m an active ham radio operator, have a GMRS license and train others on emergency communications regularly. Predictably I have a bunch of radios, many of them that can receive shortwave broadcasts.

Unfortunately, there hasn’t been a lot of shortwave broadcast radio that has been interesting to me. While I’m a fan of having a one, it would be a lower priority for me in the “communications” group than a good local AM/FM receiver and communications with your neighbors. If your space, financial or other constraints keep you from having all the radios you want, my suggestion is that shortwave be last on your list.

You can easily get a receiver that covers shortwave and local broadcast, of course. One of my favorite radios is the now-discontinued Kenwood TH-F6A, which is a VHF and UHF ham radio transceiver. It also receives AM, FM and broadcast radio. It’s small and easy to carry — I keep one in my laptop bag.

Edited by chaosmagnet (06/07/23 11:39 PM)
Edit Reason: Fixed a broken sentence

#301761 - 06/07/23 05:03 AM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: chaosmagnet]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

For a while I thought I could use SW radio to get news from BBC World Service when the local FM/AM stations are down. But then I learned that BBC and most broadcasters have stepped away from SW in favor of internet radio. It's not the 1960s anymore. Whodathunkit? So what I can reliably get in my region? Mostly religious stuff. So I decided not to spend the money.

#301763 - 06/07/23 11:25 AM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
If someone is going to broadcast in a desaster scenario, a shortwave radio might be useful. For the EMP scenario it should be an oldfashioned glow in the dark radio or have a shielded storage. OTOH an EMP might fry the equipment of potential braodcasters as well.
In Germany there is a government agency responsible for desaster managment and providing information about preparing for citizens. They recommend having a shortwave radio - preferably with a dynamo charger - too.
As a HAM operator I own a shortwave radio with dynamo charger and a couple of other items capable of receiving SW.

#301765 - 06/07/23 01:03 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Not needed. Had one as a kid in the 90s, was a novelty for a week.

Sorry, but listening to the BBC after an earthquake in CA wasn't particularly relevant.

#301766 - 06/07/23 01:05 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
OTOH an EMP might fry the equipment of potential braodcasters as well.

To stay connected in case of an EMP, shortwave radio is necessary. Local broadcasters may be affected, but those from other parts of the world will still be accessible.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301767 - 06/07/23 01:10 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: MDinana]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Sorry, but listening to the BBC after an earthquake in CA wasn't particularly relevant.

Did you still have access to local broadcasts?

Jeanette Isabelle

#301771 - 06/07/23 02:46 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Well, I listen to BBC ***WORLD SERVICE*** not for local news, but for international news. During hurricanes & blackouts, I often have time on my hands. Since I already listen to BBC anyway, why not catch up on cricket through SW, I thought, not realizing SW is no longer supported.

I recommend international news services like Radio France, Deutsche Welle, Kyodo News, etc. for a different view of the world. For example, US news sources tend not to cover Africa, but BBC does (esp. former British colonies).

#301772 - 06/07/23 02:54 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
I thought BBC restarted SW broadcasts due to the Ukraine war.

#301773 - 06/07/23 02:56 PM Re: Everyone Should Have a Shortwave Radio [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: MDinana

Did you still have access to local broadcasts?

Jeanette Isabelle

Pretty sure there were no local broadcasts, even in normal times. But you're talking 30 years ago, in Los Angeles.

I guess that's something for you to figure- do your locals broadcast? What are you trying to gain from a shortwave?

Edited by MDinana (06/07/23 02:57 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 547 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.