The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#301745 - 06/05/23 06:34 AM What Belongs in Your Survival Kit from 8 who know
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
nyt article:https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/06/01/business/survival-kit-tools.html

[First time I've seen someone mention coffee. A survival situation is not the time to be having caffeine withdrawal - qjs]

“This is a way of life for us, defending against storms. Come June, we all get in the mode. What are you going to do when someone says “Storm’s in the Gulf”? When you lose electricity, the refrigerator leaks. We all eat seafood, so you have nasty seafood juice all over your floor. We prep our freezers and put everything in plastic garbage bags so if it gets liquified, it’s contained. We learned that after Katrina.”
Cynthia Lee Sheng, 56, President of Jefferson Parish, Louisiana

“I have a kit, or a go bag, but I also keep things in the shelter during tornado season, so we don’t have to move them. We have a case of water, rain boots, extra outfits. And we have a hand winch that my dad always referred to as a “come-along.” It’s essentially a hand-jack so if the shelter door gets stuck, we can put the hand winch in there and crank it open.”
Ashleigh Gibson, 37, Oklahoma City

“Just imagine what it would be like to have no coffee for 11 days. And you’re in a disaster zone with your family. You want the coffee. So I’ve got cold-brew instant coffee. After Hurricane Ian, I thought, ‘Do I like it here enough to live through this again?’ But there are really no disaster-free areas now.”
Kelli Harris, 47, Venice, Fla.

“I have $100 in singles because I was told if we’re in an emergency and everyone’s got very little cash and the ATMs don’t work, we should always have ones to buy what we need. We have a deck of cards in the kit and because I have a toddler we have a stuffed animal (a little kitty) that makes my kid feel happy and safe.”
Damaris Dragonas, 45, Nevada City, Calif.

“Boots are really important. Cut feet are one of the biggest injuries in earthquakes. But the most valuable thing in terms of emergencies is knowing your neighbors. I got these signs – one side is red and says ‘Help,’ and the other side is green and says ‘OK.’ If you need help, you put ‘Help’ in your window. I got them for everyone on the block.”
Lynda Bishop, 72, Portland, Ore.

“I recommend making sure you have stuff you actually want to eat. Like junk food. We have Pringles in our kit. We throw an earthquake-themed dinner party every year as a way to teach friends and family about earthquake preparedness. The whole party is candlelit, we do quizzes about what you need to know. We have all the kids go under the table and we shake the table. It’s a fun thing, but hopefully when the next big earthquake comes, our friends are ready.”
Emily F. Peters, 43, San Francisco

“What pushed me to get an emergency kit was the big winter storm Uri in 2021. That was pretty dramatic here. I bought a kit from JUDY. It’s a highly designed kit. The whole kit and kaboodle comes in a waterproof bag. The list of what it had matched what I was looking for.”
Natalie Davis, 42, Austin, Texas

“It’s important to have flip-flops in times of flood. You don’t want to be in shoes. Your shoes will always be wet.
Since 1989 I have been helping people in times of disaster. You have to be compassionate with people. Recently at a shelter I was passing around toothbrushes. I was going to give this person a pink toothbrush and he said, “Can I have a blue one?” At first I thought, ‘Oh this is a person who is being picky.’ But then I remembered he just lost everything. If that blue toothbrush is going to make him happy, he can have it.”
Ayenza Matthews, 54, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

#301746 - 06/05/23 01:17 PM Re: What Belongs in Your Survival Kit from 8 who know [Re: quick_joey_small]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Good post!

Note the empasis on tiny creature comforts as well as "all the big stuff." Small things, to boost morale.

#301747 - 06/05/23 01:46 PM Re: What Belongs in Your Survival Kit from 8 who know [Re: quick_joey_small]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Not sure about flip flops, even crocs seem like a better option if wading through muddy water.

#301748 - 06/05/23 01:52 PM Re: What Belongs in Your Survival Kit from 8 who know [Re: quick_joey_small]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
“What pushed me to get an emergency kit was the big winter storm Uri in 2021. That was pretty dramatic here. I bought a kit from JUDY. It’s a highly designed kit. The whole kit and kaboodle comes in a waterproof bag. The list of what it had matched what I was looking for.”
Natalie Davis, 42, Austin, Texas

While Judy's fashionable survival kits are certainly unique and may be useful in certain situations, it's important to note that they may not offer the same level of comprehensive preparation as other pre-made survival kits on the market.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301749 - 06/05/23 08:15 PM Re: What Belongs in Your Survival Kit from 8 who know [Re: quick_joey_small]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I thought the dinner party themed for whatever disasters are most common in your area was a good idea.

#301750 - 06/06/23 04:17 AM Re: What Belongs in Your Survival Kit from 8 who know [Re: jshannon]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: jshannon
I thought the dinner party themed for whatever disasters are most common in your area was a good idea.

You know, that is a very good idea. Sort of like fasting to focus the body and mnind.

Just for laughs, we agree to be completely off-grid for 24 hours, over a weekend. No power, no water, no phone, no data services, it's all off limits, just to see what it looks like. Neighbours are of course welcome, and maybe fires and BBQ, and help to anyone who needs it. And it's fun, and it plants a seed.

#301751 - 06/06/23 04:41 AM Re: What Belongs in Your Survival Kit from 8 who know [Re: quick_joey_small]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
And we have a hand winch that my dad always referred to as a “come-along.” It’s essentially a hand-jack so if the shelter door gets stuck, we can put the hand winch in there and crank it open.

Does anyone have a solid idea of what they're talking about? It seems like a crowbar would be more direct and easier to use. I'm guessing the winch would have to be anchored somewhere. It might be a mess trying to set it up. Then the mechanical advantage of the winch would hardly be greater than a long crowbar.

#301752 - 06/06/23 01:57 PM Re: What Belongs in Your Survival Kit from 8 who know [Re: quick_joey_small]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
A "come along" is one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/TR-Industrial-Portable-4-Ton-Puller/dp/B074986SW9/

Amazingly useful. Without knowing the problem I was addressing I'm more likely to have a crowbar than a come along, but both are great.

#301754 - 06/06/23 06:11 PM Re: What Belongs in Your Survival Kit from 8 who know [Re: Bingley]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
It seems like a crowbar would be more direct and easier to use. I'm guessing the winch would have to be anchored somewhere. It might be a mess trying to set it up. Then the mechanical advantage of the winch would hardly be greater than a long crowbar.

You're right -- the come-along (winch) would need anchor points. That could be built into the shelter design, and I assume it would be.

A crowbar is much handier, but it can't provide anywhere near the brute force of a come-along (4 tons of direct pull on some models).

#301756 - 06/06/23 11:13 PM Re: What Belongs in Your Survival Kit from 8 who know [Re: quick_joey_small]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd guess their shelter door must open inward so they can anchor the come-a-long to the door and something else inside?
Anyway, I keep one in the truck. If you ever get stuck somewhere you can usually find an anchor point to pull yourself out with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 534 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.