The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#30172 - 08/12/04 03:11 AM Shoes or Boots
aztecb Offline
Stranger

Loc: Texas, USA
What brand and type of foot wear do you buy so you can walk comfortably for long hours without harming your feet.

#30173 - 08/12/04 05:59 AM Re: Shoes or Boots
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It depends on the terrain and season of course, but for most hiking I use a classic pair of Corcoran paratrooper boots. The Munson last is about the finest for natural foot alignment short of a custom fitted boot. I dislike aggressive lug patterns, as they tear up the environment. For snow I use Steger Mukluks, mud and rain classic Wellington rubber boots, hot desert lightweight running shoes.

#30174 - 08/12/04 06:28 AM Re: Shoes or Boots
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
hey chris do you have any foot problems like flat feet?
just wondering how those boots would preform for someone with flat feet like myself.

#30175 - 08/12/04 12:41 PM Re: Shoes or Boots
aztecb Offline
Stranger

Chris, Thank you for your reply.

The Munson Last is new to me. where do you go for purchase? What casual foot wear would you wear for every day use. I am retireing from the northwest plateau, four corners of New Mexico, to a place 90 miles east of Dallas.

I will be about fishing and float trips and just being about town. Is there an an kind of all around kind of footwear I should be considering?

For here where I live now I'm good for footwear. But retirement is new territory. I will enjoy meeting new people
but I want to be prepared for the unexpected. Especially with the new threats to our society and living down wind from what must be a tempting target city.

#30176 - 08/12/04 12:56 PM Re: Shoes or Boots
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shoes are important - there are deck shoes, Construction boots, steel toed a**-kickers and stilettos in my closet.

I find that for the most part, I dress my feet for the situation, but it is the socks that are the most important - great shoes will turn your feet to chopped meat in no time if the socks you have are not appropritae.

My favorite deep woods hiking/camping 'shoe' is either nothing (I am crazy, I know), or regular athletic shoes. Athletics are easily taken off, can be expanded to accomodate a little swelling and can be washed.

If I know I am going to be dealing with cutting and forming wood, I wear the steel toed boots. I do not find that they are good for long term wearing, no matter what I do to 'break them in'.

But then again, I am female with a women's 11 wide foot. In men's that is about a 9, but then again, sometimes it is a 10 - and still wide. It is hard to find shoes for any occation that fit.

Just like back-packs, if I find one that fits, I buy any shoe that fits. A look into the closet will tell you a lot about someone!

Sorry for the ramble...

Rena

#30177 - 08/12/04 01:05 PM Re: Shoes or Boots
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Socks - ah, socks. MOST people wonder why my everyday carry bag had a nice pair of boot socks in there. Then you have the folks who have hiked/spent all day on their feet - THEY smile when they see it. I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten stuck in the office/on a call out over night, and you change your undies, your socks, wash your face, brush your teeth - your good to go for another few hours.

Another trick - I'm sitting at my desk, and I'm NOT likely to have to get up for the next 2-3 hours, except to walk 1-2 steps to my file cabinet - guess what? The shoes (boots) are OFF - let my feet air out
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#30178 - 08/12/04 01:43 PM Re: Shoes or Boots
aztecb Offline
Stranger

Rena, and journeyman thank you for your imput. I will put an extra couple of pair in my evolving BOB.

I too will usually slip off my shoes when I am home.. My wife says she gets embarrased when I do it without thinking and we are in church.

#30179 - 08/12/04 03:19 PM Re: Shoes or Boots
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
I usually wear nike trail runners but somtime also wear redhead gortex hiking boots. Sometimes I even go with regular old running shoes or super thick super insulated full height timberland boots. Like Chris said, it really depends on the climate and terrain. Over all I think my trail runners get the most use just because of where I usually hike/camp and what the weather is usually like.

#30180 - 08/12/04 04:27 PM Re: Shoes or Boots
aztecb Offline
Stranger

Thank you Ryan for your reply.

I just retired on the 5th. We are relocating to a town ninety miles east of Dallas. Lots of lakes and private ponds. Texas also has a lot of flat water rivers some of which I plan to float.
I will probably be alone on my float trips no one to invite. I will mostly float on week days because there will be less boat traffic and camp on sand bars and such like. Those trail shoes sound good.
There are over twenty million people in Texas, I think so many new friends.

#30181 - 08/12/04 08:40 PM Re: Shoes or Boots
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Lacrosse waterpoof lace-up boots. Got them on Sportsmansguide.com best boots i ever owned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 533 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.