The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#301652 - 05/19/23 02:43 PM Packing My Bags
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I previously mentioned my plan to move to Israel when it becomes a more favorable place than America. I have connections to make it happen, and we're eager to stay where we are for as long as possible since we have all our belongings here.

I need advice on packing for our air travel. I plan to bring my EDC bag, medical supplies, and a large suitcase with essential items such as identification documents, money, digital documents and photos, clothes, hygiene products, prescriptions, supplements, food and drinks, flashlights, survival gear, and anything else necessary for the trip.

I'm also considering bringing sentimental items that are not essential or digitized, such as my high school diploma, three books, and a small vial of mineral oil. However, I'm confident that these items won't add too much weight or take up too much space. Do you think it's too much to bring?

Jeanette Isabelle

#301654 - 05/20/23 03:36 AM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
What you choose to do is, quite rightly, your own business.

I personally would be dis-inclined to move from a continent with near infinite land resources to a place with hostile neighbours and limited water.

Not dissing the place in question, you understand; just wondering if there are places on the N.American continent that might suit your needs in a more practical way.

#301655 - 05/20/23 06:06 AM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Having moved by air a few times before, I am guessing you probably won't have room for much of your gear. This is something you can find out just by packing. I'd probably just ship the gear or reacquire it over there.

Also, if you're traveling internationally, find out how much cash you can take out or take into a country.

#301656 - 05/20/23 01:38 PM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: dougwalkabout]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I personally would be dis-inclined to move from a continent with near infinite land resources to a place with hostile neighbours and limited water.

Not dissing the place in question, you understand; just wondering if there are places on the N.American continent that might suit your needs in a more practical way.

As mentioned earlier, this plan is for when Israel becomes a preferable location to North America. The reason I chose Israel is because I have connections there. However, I would prefer to stay where we currently are for as long as possible, as all of our supplies are here.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301657 - 05/20/23 01:50 PM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Having moved by air a few times before, I am guessing you probably won't have room for much of your gear.

Yes, your assumption is correct. That is the reason why I asked that question.

This is something you can find out just by packing.

I believe that the items I pack are dependent on the supplies that I currently have. For example, if I have run out of toothpaste but still have toothbrushes, and the only supplement left is Vitamin B12, my circumstances have already determined my packing choices.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301660 - 05/21/23 09:30 PM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: dougwalkabout]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

Doug walk about: In reply to your response to Jeanette-Isabelle’s post on what she should carry on for her ( somewhat fanciful) theorized emigration flight to Israel, I note the common sense of your comments. Big and well resourced vs. small, water challenged and surrounded by hostile forces is a fair, SURFACE reading, of JI’s thoughts.

But , as a Jew , I understand her unspoken fear and “longing”. Jews in the USA are used to dealing with jibes about “ secret cartels of Jewish bankers”, “ cheap Jews” , “ Christ Killers” etc. from the usual fringe groups. Because, those bigots aside, Jews, since they first emigrated in the 19th-20th Centurys bought into the American Dream, lock stock and barrel !

Poor, dirty, uneducated, East European Jews , who emigrated to the US in the late 19th- early 20th century, helped to a very limited extent by earlier immigrating , successful self made German Jewish philanthropists, stuck together, engaged in community self-help, established Jewish aid and education societies, even multi family communal farms, Jewish loan agencies, Established hospitals , schools, & graduate schools ( since they were often barred or discriminated against by the non-Jewish majorities) funded by families who had a little extra to lend at low rates,, gobbled - up all the education they could get, worked collectively, for obscene amounts of hours, in little businesses, staffed by family and built bigger businesses, had their parents drill into their heads to walk the straight and narrow, get good marks, go to college, get a licensed profession ( like Doctor, pharmiscist, engineer, etc. ) , because if you had to run away again, that knowledge was portable. Add to that, a very strong and central religious commandment to do “ tzedakah’ , the giving of a tenth part, a/k/a, “justice”. ( there being no word in Hebrew for” Charity”) and an accompanying requirement to participate in “Tikkun Olam’, a/k/a “ repair the world, that is make it a better world, the “Jews” as a people , generally did well in an America prime for strong backs , hard work, entrepreneurship, and economic expansion!

But no Jew ever lived, except perhaps in Israel, who didn’t keep one eye and ear open for rise of anti-semitism and a new Holocaust. After all , who expected it in 1920s-1930s Germany, which was the first European country to offer Jews full citizenship , the right to own land and go to Universities? But 10-15 years later, 4+ million murdered in the camps and an additional 2+ million by the Eisenstaedt movile killing teams. But for European , British and North American guilt in standing by and not stopping the mass slaughter of Europe’s Jews,, even when they knew and could have bombed the camps’ killing “showers”, fences and railheads leading to the camps, but for that , there would never would been a UN vote on the creation of a Jewish Homeland, i.e. Israel.

So someone like me, and probably JI, native born, patriotic , red-blooded, proud Americans, with no desire to be anything but good American citizens, keep our one eye and one ear alert for the rise of Facism and anti-semitism in America, especially if it starts to get normalized by a major American political party who tells us “ There were good people on both sides “ in Charlottesville, Parties that nurture candidates with strong racist- anti semetic backgrounds & orations.

If your “RUN”. Button gets pushed often enough ,you yearn for a place where you are a majority ,not a despised miniority, even if it’s arguably not as well equipped with resources and is surrounded by openly hostile neighbors. WORST CASE I’d rather die fighting back to back with my family and friends than get dragged out of my hiding place, like Anne Frank’s family, to be taken to an extermination camp.

And if, gentle reader, that sounds like paranoia to you, I have two responses. Study history and remember, even paranoids have enemies!

Edited by Acropolis50 (05/21/23 09:40 PM)

#301661 - 05/21/23 11:43 PM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: Acropolis50]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Acropolis50
In reply to your response to Jeanette-Isabelle’s post on what she should carry on for her ( somewhat fanciful) theorized emigration flight to Israel, I note the common sense of your comments. Big and well resourced vs. small, water challenged and surrounded by hostile forces is a fair, SURFACE reading, of JI’s thoughts.

Although I said I had connections, I was worried that my plans might still seem unrealistic.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301662 - 05/21/23 11:44 PM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: Acropolis50]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Acropolis50
Doug walk about: In reply to your response to Jeanette-Isabelle’s post on what she should carry on for her ( somewhat fanciful) theorized emigration flight to Israel, I note the common sense of your comments. Big and well resourced vs. small, water challenged and surrounded by hostile forces is a fair, SURFACE reading, of JI’s thoughts.

But , as a Jew , I understand her unspoken fear and “longing”.

Acropolis50, I ask for your tolerance; it seems I was perfectly clueless regarding this relevant factor.

I am fully aware of the historical horrors you mention, and understand the desire for a "last ditch" safe refuge.

I would note, respectfully, that the click bait of various media does not accurately reflect the thoughts of the reasonable majority who are your neighbours across the street. Engage with them and you may be pleasantly surprised. Click bait is about inflaming people (on all sides!) to generate money. It's pretty crass. My 2c.

#301663 - 05/21/23 11:54 PM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: dougwalkabout]
Carpal Tunnel

I would note, respectfully, that the click bait of various media does not accurately reflect the thoughts of the reasonable majority who are your neighbours across the street. Engage with them and you may be pleasantly surprised. Click bait is about inflaming people (on all sides!) to generate money. It's pretty crass. My 2c.

I apologize if I'm not getting it, but I'm having a hard time seeing how clickbait is related to our conversation. Can you please explain it to me a little more so I can understand? Thanks for your kindness and patience!

Jeanette Isabelle

#301664 - 05/22/23 12:45 AM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

My only thought is that the perception of risk or threat is routinely magnified by social media and other media which all rely on shock/outrage/fear to generate clicks and views, thereby making money. This is the world we live in.

I think it's important to find other ways to gauge risk and threat, and the best way is to engage with other reasonable people. There are a surprising amount of reasonable people out there. Go figure!

Edited by dougwalkabout (05/22/23 12:52 AM)

#301665 - 05/22/23 01:06 AM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: dougwalkabout]
Carpal Tunnel

My only thought is that the perception of risk or threat is routinely magnified by social media and other media which all rely on shock/outrage/fear to generate clicks and views, thereby making money. This is the world we live in.

I understand what you're saying. I prefer to rely on sources that I trust rather than just going with what the mainstream media says.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301668 - 05/22/23 11:22 PM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I'm also considering bringing sentimental items that are not essential or digitized, such as my high school diploma, three books, and a small vial of mineral oil. However, I'm confident that these items won't add too much weight or take up too much space. Do you think it's too much to bring?

I am considering adding more sentimental non-essential items, like programs from a few stage productions. Although they don't take up much space or add much weight, I worry that if I keep adding more non-essential items, it may become a burden and weigh me down.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301669 - 05/23/23 01:38 AM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Aloha Jeanette!

Consider the Big Island of Hawaii.

You would still be in the US of A, for better or worse. Folks are generally very nice and many, if not most, tend to be self reliant.

You can get fairly large parcels of land. And despite the US political situation, it seems more stable and less dangerous here than even the metropolitan Oahu. Certainly seems safer than the CONUS. Less likely to have a missile attack here than Israel, even though we had a recent false alarm.

I still have hope for American. Just my two cents.

#301671 - 05/23/23 02:06 AM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: aloha]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: aloha
Consider the Big Island of Hawaii.

You would still be in the US of A, for better or worse. Folks are generally very nice and many, if not most, tend to be self reliant.

You can get fairly large parcels of land. And despite the US political situation, it seems more stable and less dangerous here than even the metropolitan Oahu. Certainly seems safer than the CONUS. Less likely to have a missile attack here than Israel, even though we had a recent false alarm.

In my opinion, the top destinations to settle down in are Ireland, Scotland, and Israel. However, since I have no connections or financial opportunities in Ireland or Scotland, Israel seems like the most practical choice for me.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301672 - 05/24/23 05:05 AM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I have to say I am a little surprised to see this discussion about which country or area is "better for survival." To me moving to a foreign country for a few years is pretty normal, and in fact it should be encouraged for young people like Jeanette. It's fun, you learn so much about the world, you expand your horizon and life experiences, etc. Sure, it can be challenging, too. That's a part of the experience.

I suppose I wouldn't bother moving to, say, the middle of Wyoming because "it's good for survival" unless I happen to want to live there for other reasons. If we give up the life we want in order to increase our chances of survival, then what are we surviving for?

#301674 - 05/24/23 01:25 PM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

I have to say I am a little surprised to see this discussion about which country or area is "better for survival." To me moving to a foreign country for a few years is pretty normal, and in fact it should be encouraged for young people like Jeanette. It's fun, you learn so much about the world, you expand your horizon and life experiences, etc. Sure, it can be challenging, too. That's a part of the experience.

I suppose I wouldn't bother moving to, say, the middle of Wyoming because "it's good for survival" unless I happen to want to live there for other reasons. If we give up the life we want in order to increase our chances of survival, then what are we surviving for?

I agree with you. If the tradeoff for survival means sacrificing a certain level of comfort, then I have to consider if it's worth it. Aside from that, I find Israel to be an exciting place to live.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.