Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#301665 - 05/22/23 01:06 AM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: dougwalkabout]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
My only thought is that the perception of risk or threat is routinely magnified by social media and other media which all rely on shock/outrage/fear to generate clicks and views, thereby making money. This is the world we live in.

I understand what you're saying. I prefer to rely on sources that I trust rather than just going with what the mainstream media says.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301668 - 05/22/23 11:22 PM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I'm also considering bringing sentimental items that are not essential or digitized, such as my high school diploma, three books, and a small vial of mineral oil. However, I'm confident that these items won't add too much weight or take up too much space. Do you think it's too much to bring?

I am considering adding more sentimental non-essential items, like programs from a few stage productions. Although they don't take up much space or add much weight, I worry that if I keep adding more non-essential items, it may become a burden and weigh me down.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301669 - 05/23/23 01:38 AM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Aloha Jeanette!

Consider the Big Island of Hawaii.

You would still be in the US of A, for better or worse. Folks are generally very nice and many, if not most, tend to be self reliant.

You can get fairly large parcels of land. And despite the US political situation, it seems more stable and less dangerous here than even the metropolitan Oahu. Certainly seems safer than the CONUS. Less likely to have a missile attack here than Israel, even though we had a recent false alarm.

I still have hope for American. Just my two cents.

#301671 - 05/23/23 02:06 AM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: aloha]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: aloha
Consider the Big Island of Hawaii.

You would still be in the US of A, for better or worse. Folks are generally very nice and many, if not most, tend to be self reliant.

You can get fairly large parcels of land. And despite the US political situation, it seems more stable and less dangerous here than even the metropolitan Oahu. Certainly seems safer than the CONUS. Less likely to have a missile attack here than Israel, even though we had a recent false alarm.

In my opinion, the top destinations to settle down in are Ireland, Scotland, and Israel. However, since I have no connections or financial opportunities in Ireland or Scotland, Israel seems like the most practical choice for me.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301672 - 05/24/23 05:05 AM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I have to say I am a little surprised to see this discussion about which country or area is "better for survival." To me moving to a foreign country for a few years is pretty normal, and in fact it should be encouraged for young people like Jeanette. It's fun, you learn so much about the world, you expand your horizon and life experiences, etc. Sure, it can be challenging, too. That's a part of the experience.

I suppose I wouldn't bother moving to, say, the middle of Wyoming because "it's good for survival" unless I happen to want to live there for other reasons. If we give up the life we want in order to increase our chances of survival, then what are we surviving for?

#301674 - 05/24/23 01:25 PM Re: Packing My Bags [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
I have to say I am a little surprised to see this discussion about which country or area is "better for survival." To me moving to a foreign country for a few years is pretty normal, and in fact it should be encouraged for young people like Jeanette. It's fun, you learn so much about the world, you expand your horizon and life experiences, etc. Sure, it can be challenging, too. That's a part of the experience.

I suppose I wouldn't bother moving to, say, the middle of Wyoming because "it's good for survival" unless I happen to want to live there for other reasons. If we give up the life we want in order to increase our chances of survival, then what are we surviving for?

I agree with you. If the tradeoff for survival means sacrificing a certain level of comfort, then I have to consider if it's worth it. Aside from that, I find Israel to be an exciting place to live.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.