Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#294486 - 01/03/20 10:24 PM Took Delivery of a 1989 Station Wagon
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
We usually don't make posts of this nature around here; given the unique situation I found myself in, I'm making an exception.

It's a full-size station wagon, white with a tan interior, a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park. I bought it online. I first considered one from 1980, the same make and model; I was not thrilled with the brown paint job. I wanted white. Since I liked the car anyhow, I was about to buy it. Then I saw the white one. Better yet, it was a 1989 model.

Without further ado, here is a picture of what I got. What do you think?

Jeanette Isabelle

#294488 - 01/03/20 11:55 PM Re: Took Delivery of a 1989 Station Wagon [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you like it, it matters not what we think, but here goes. My thoughts are evident in the questions, but for the record I once owned a Ford F-250 with the 460ci V-8 — 10 mpg and I loved it.

How many miles on the odometer and is it the original engine? Which engine?

How far will it take you on a single tank of fuel? Really 3/4 tank, the last 1/4 is for emergencies.

Keep cash available to keep the tank full if you need to bug-out from a hurricane.

How will the availability of this largish and very capable vehicle change your bug-out kit?

Edit: a few answers are available at:
1989 Mercury Grand Marquis 1gen Colony Park
and
1989 Mercury Colony Park GS specs

302ci V-8, 18 gal fuel tank, 14-20 mpg depending on how you drive (20 hwy, 14 combined?)

As a comparison, my pick-up has a 20 gal fuel tank and the worst fuel economy I’ve seen is 17mpg. On the hwy I get ~22 mpg.

#294490 - 01/04/20 01:05 AM Re: Took Delivery of a 1989 Station Wagon [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Janysboy Offline
Journeyman

I'm looking at the new 2020 all wheel drive Toyota Prius. Some one here posted a few years ago he powered his home with a prius and a transfer switch after Super Storm Sandy(?).

#294496 - 01/04/20 05:52 PM Re: Took Delivery of a 1989 Station Wagon [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

I was perplexed by your reply. Therefore I mentioned to Mom what I wrote, that I did include the picture of the car that I bought online (which I received yesterday) and the responses I received.

Mom asked to see the post I made. I showed it to her. At first, she said something that, to me, added to the confusion. She went on to say it would be evident to a person like me, who is familiar with the details of a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis, that an image of a toy car is indeed a toy car. For a person who is not familiar with the details of a given make and model, an image of a toy car would look like a real car.

Believing that everyone would recognize an image of a toy car for what it is, I expected that people would see the intended humor.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294497 - 01/04/20 06:31 PM Re: Took Delivery of a 1989 Station Wagon [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Interesting. A picture is just a representation of a real thing. A toy car is also a representation of the real thing. A picture of a toy car in the age of photoshop, et al is a representation of the real thing. So yeah, I thought you bought a real car, not a toy.

Quote:
... full-size station wagon, white with a tan interior, a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park...

That to me sounds like a real car because it is a real car. My apologies for taking your post literally.

#294498 - 01/04/20 07:30 PM Re: Took Delivery of a 1989 Station Wagon [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Quote:
... full-size station wagon, white with a tan interior, a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park...

That to me sounds like a real car because it is a real car. My apologies for taking your post literally.

I did set up the joke to make it first appear I bought a real car (everything had to be technically accurate. Otherwise it would not be a joke) and delivered the punchline in the form of an image.

As I said, because I know what a real 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis looks like, I thought it would be evident to everyone that the car in the image is not real. You did not know what details to look for and therefore missed the punchline.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301533 - 03/13/23 01:11 AM Re: Took Delivery of a 1989 Station Wagon [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

That toy car just now fell off my shelf and was totaled: Three wheels came off, and the tailgate was damaged. No, I don't have insurance on my toy car.

I looked online for a replacement, but everyone is out of stock. frown

Jeanette Isabelle

#301535 - 03/13/23 05:15 AM Re: Took Delivery of a 1989 Station Wagon [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Awww! That sucks! I used to have that problem occasionally when I was a kid building scale models. I had a pretty huge collection of them at one time.

#301539 - 03/16/23 12:00 AM Re: Took Delivery of a 1989 Station Wagon [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I was able to put the tailgate back in, and the two back tires were easy to snap back on, though bent. However, the right front tire, made of plastic, did break. Using Gorilla Glue, I was able to put that tire back together.

The back wheels don't move evenly, and the front does not move, but the car is for display only.

Jeanette Isabelle

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.