Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#301006 - 05/17/22 05:33 AM There are many good people out there
Chisel Offline
Veteran

#301007 - 05/17/22 05:37 AM Re: There are many good people out there [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

A brave lady rushes to help.
Then a few good people work together to save the driver.

This gives us hope that in shtf situations , there are still many good people out there.

I hope the car driver is OK now.

#301008 - 05/17/22 05:47 AM Re: There are many good people out there [Re: Chisel]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Well done! I'm curious as to what her health issue was? This is evidence that there's more good than bad in this world. grin

#301009 - 05/17/22 07:44 AM Re: There are many good people out there [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Right.
And there is the other side of the story : some people make helping them even harder. I am not specifying this driver, but it is an example. People trying to help but the doors are locked. This very much resembles many situations I have seen first hand. When you try to help someone and they are not helping themselves, or even worse making it harder for you to help.

I remember a work colleague a few years ago who was bullied by another arrogant colleague. One time the arrogant guy went too far, and I tried to interfere, but the weaker colleague put me in a bad spot in front of the boss; almost saying that he himself was wrong and the other guy was right !!! He was too scared to even defend himself in front of the boss.

Back to our story.
Maybe there was a reason for the driver to lock the door. I personally lock the car doors when using the ATM to get cash. But having the doors locked in this situation slowed the rescuers, and made it necessary to break the glass to be able to help.

Same thing regarding the outdoors. Many times I see TV shows where people fly in small planes, or hiking in the wilderness and colors of their clothes (or the plane colors) makes it hard to see them if they get into trouble.

#301010 - 05/17/22 08:50 AM Re: There are many good people out there [Re: Chisel]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Chisel

Maybe there was a reason for the driver to lock the door. I personally lock the car doors when using the ATM to get cash. But having the doors locked in this situation slowed the rescuers, and made it necessary to break the glass to be able to help.

I cannot tell for he car. Mine locks the doors after a few seconds after closing the doors. The manufacturer decided that that risk of being hijacked is greater than the risk of locking out rescuers in the case of an accident. After all it´s easy to break a car window with the glass breaker so many people are used to not carry.

#301011 - 05/17/22 11:59 AM Re: There are many good people out there [Re: Chisel]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, my car doors lock automatically when the transmission does into gear. There's a menu to change how the locks work but the default in most newer cars is to automatically lock. Probably not just for carjacking but to keep kids and other passengers from falling/jumping out.

#301012 - 05/17/22 12:12 PM Re: There are many good people out there [Re: Chisel]
Ren Online   content
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Came across a similar situation after it ended. Driver blacked out crossed central reservation and two lanes going in the opposite direction and crashed into a bus stop. Fortunately no one injured. Driver was a diabetic.

#301013 - 05/17/22 02:50 PM Re: There are many good people out there [Re: M_a_x]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Mine locks the doors after a few seconds after closing the doors.

Yes, that could be the case. Didn't think of it because I have always bought the cheapest model of whatever car, without any extra features, especially "automatic" this or "automatic" that. I even use manual gear shift. LOL.

And yes, maybe the driver is diabetic. This raises a concern. What if a diabetic person is alone . What are the health implications ? Let's suppose s/he is not driving but sitting in the living room and there is no immediate danger. How long can s/he survive ? And can they wake up an hour later to help themselves ? In another word, can they do anything about it if they are alone ??

I am diabetic type2, but my concern comes from a few near misses. I am an active handyman around the house. And prefer to work alone when everyone is sleeping or away (peace of mind, and less interruptions). One time I slipped and fell , being overweight and severe lack of fitness, I was lucky not to hurt a knee or thigh joint. Another time, a shelf rack collapsed on me but luckily nothing heavy there.

So, the cell phone is always on me while working, but losing consciousness is another type of trouble.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 173 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.