The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#300605 - 01/19/22 12:15 PM Computer questions
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Hi everyone

I have a small desk and the area left beside the laptop is very small. So, time to time I have to put papers or notepad on the laptop keyboard when I am writing something. This may accidently press some buttons. A few time I got a screen turned 90 degrees !!!. And the only way I knew to fix it back was to shut down the computer and turn on again. It must be some button combination that I have not figured out yet.

Yesterday, another thing happened the same way. I had papers to write on and something happened on the laptop screen. I coudn't figure it out initially, but later seems like a resolution issue. I had a picture as a background in the center of the screen. This picture reduced in size. I started Word and Excel, both fill the screen OK. The file explorer seems OK too , but seems there is a change in the file names : the font seems smaller or thinner. I wasn't as comfortable to read them like before. Seems to me (according to my limited knowledge) that screen resolution might have been increased to the max. I tried to change it back but there seems to be only one (the recommended) option which was: 1920 x 1080

I restarted the laptop , and nothing changed.

What can I do to undo this and make reading a bit more comfortable like before ?

Thanks

#300606 - 01/19/22 02:48 PM Re: Computer questions [Re: Chisel]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Windows (assuming windows but when asking a computer question its always a good idea to tell if windows/mac/linux/whatever) has rotate in as a keyboard shortcut, hold the ctrl and alt and then cursor keys, the up will return to 'normal', down will flip, left and right will rotate left and right.

Laptops and LCD's typically have one resolution to choose from since the pixel size can't change but can sometimes include other resolutions and scale the display.

Sounds like its missing the monitor definition (.inf) or video drivers, but you would need to give more details (windows, computer/laptop make and model).

#300607 - 01/19/22 02:51 PM Re: Computer questions [Re: Chisel]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
In Windows 7 go to Desktop. Right click in the desktop area.
You should see a choice for Screen Resolution. You can change it there.

I use less than maximum resolution for ease of reading.

Since you didn't say what OS you are using my advice may not (probably won't) apply.

I'm using Win 7 as long as I can as I'm certain that 3/4 of my apps won't migrate to Win 10 or later. (I hate & despise "upgrades")

#300608 - 01/19/22 03:37 PM Re: Computer questions [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks guys

I am using a HP Pavilion laptop , with Windows 10

#300609 - 01/19/22 04:59 PM Re: Computer questions [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
1) Please don’t use any version of Windows that can’t be kept up to date with security patches. Currently Microsoft supports Windows 10 and 11 for desktop/laptop operating systems. If you absolutely must use an earlier version of Windows, it should be disconnected utterly and permanently from the Internet. There is no way to run unsupported versions of Windows safely with any kind of Internet connection.

2) I would recommend that if a laptop is having screen resolution issues and you cannot correct them by changing the display resolution settings, you should download and reinstall the graphics card driver from the manufacturer’s website.

With that said it’s likely that 1920x1280 is the right resolution. In Windows 10, right click on an empty area of the desktop, select Display Settings from the menu, and look at the settings screen that comes up. Consider changing the scaling factor here to make things look the way that works best for you.

#300610 - 01/19/22 05:13 PM Re: Computer questions [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks

Quote:
1) Please don’t use any version of Windows that can’t be kept up to date with security patches. Currently Microsoft supports Windows 10 and 11 for desktop/laptop operating systems. If you absolutely must use an earlier version of Windows, it should be disconnected utterly and permanently from the Internet. There is no way to run unsupported versions of Windows safely with any kind of Internet connection.

I have Windows 7 on a desktop computer that is disconnected from the internet. It was working beautifully until we moved stuff around the house, and is now having glitches. I don't know what happened there, but that is another issue.

Back to the laptop, any ideas what could cause such a sudden change in resolution ? It was great until the moment I was writing something on a notepad and noticed the change in the laptop screen. Initially thought it was one of those times, and would only need a restart. But it is a different story this time. Can it be a graphics card problem ?

#300611 - 01/19/22 05:40 PM Re: Computer questions [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Most likely it’s an internal Windows driver issue. The driver was updated and failed, or wasn’t updated and failed, or something like that. Most commonly reinstalling the display driver resolves the issue. In extreme cases (I haven’t seen this in Windows 10, but I imagine it’s possible) reinstalling Windows may be needed. Don’t do that unless you are certain that you need to, and make sure to have complete and redundant backups.

Much less commonly it’s a symptom of a partial hardware failure.

#300612 - 01/19/22 09:50 PM Re: Computer questions [Re: Chisel]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I don't use Windows, so can't guess what it may have done to your here, but it's generally best to set your screen resolution to the physical monitor resolution. If you set it to other than native resolution you can get some horrible looking displays. If native resolution is too small for you to comfortably read, don't fix that by changing resolution, fix that by using settings in the OS and in applications themselves. I'm sure Windows must support this, but it's been eons since I used that, and couldn't begin to tell you where to find the settings.

Since you've had problems before (albeit fixed by a reboot), you might want to consider not doing writing on top of your computers keyboard. Maybe set up a small table to the side of your desk for writing on. You can get folding TV trays that would work for this (not the cheap metal kind we had as kids, but nicer wooden ones).

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Classic-Dinner-Snack-Table/dp/B07MKQGJSW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=25BM4U26UH7SP&keywords=folding+tv+tray&qid=1642628868&sprefix=folding+tv+tra%2Caps%2C471&sr=8-1

#300613 - 01/19/22 11:08 PM Re: Computer questions [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
I don't use Windows, so can't guess what it may have done to your here, but it's generally best to set your screen resolution to the physical monitor resolution. If you set it to other than native resolution you can get some horrible looking displays. If native resolution is too small for you to comfortably read, don't fix that by changing resolution, fix that by using settings in the OS and in applications themselves. I'm sure Windows must support this, but it's been eons since I used that, and couldn't begin to tell you where to find the settings.

Windows supports this and I agree that it's the preferred way to make the display work best for who is using it.

#300614 - 01/20/22 09:52 AM Re: Computer questions [Re: haertig]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks guys

Quote:
Maybe set up a small table to the side of your desk for writing on.

Actually, my original home office consists of two tables; one for desktop computer and one for general writing or reading. But due to home remodelling projects the home office these days is no more than a table located at the entrance of the bedroom. Expansion of this office by one square inch would get me in serious trouble. LOL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.