Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 54 of 57 < 1 2 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 >
Topic Options
#302113 - 12/02/23 01:29 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Phaedrus]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
True. But ETS is not really an EOTWAWKI kind of place and I'm not a "Doomsday Prepper."

In light of the events of 2020, if anyone is not already prepared for such an event, there is no action I can take to alter their level of readiness.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302115 - 12/02/23 01:57 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I think it's folly to expect to survive the End of the World. Hell, I'm not even sure I'd want to. While I love the wilderness and have tons of wild lands in my back yard (I'm in Montana), I am a human. Humans are social animals, and outside of the context of living as part of a social group what meaning does life have? I'd rather work to make the world we share better, not stockpile stuff to ride out the end of it. Besides, if the whole thing comes crashing down no one is going to be able go it alone no matter how many beans and bullets they have stashed. At least that's my analysis.

Still, I suppose if I go out that way it will atop a very impressive pile shell casings! grin

#302117 - 12/02/23 02:12 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

I think it's folly to expect to survive the End of the World. Hell, I'm not even sure I'd want to.

My ultimate aim does not involve any specific achievement. Instead, it revolves around preserving the level of comfort I am already familiar with until the day arrives when I can reunite with my beloved father.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302119 - 12/02/23 09:04 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Repaired my storm door. One of the latches broke holding up one of the removable glass panels. Fortunately, the glass didn’t break, and everything is working properly now. When the weather gets colder I’ll be really happy that got fixed.

#302120 - 12/03/23 02:24 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Phaedrus]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I think it's folly to expect to survive the End of the World. Hell, I'm not even sure I'd want to. While I love the wilderness and have tons of wild lands in my back yard (I'm in Montana), I am a human. Humans are social animals, and outside of the context of living as part of a social group what meaning does life have?

I regularly go for months with very little human contact, partly because of my work. That can be pretty hard if you still want the usual human things, and most people in my situation do, at least in the beginning. That can cause behavioral changes that are not good for you and not good for social interaction when you do come across people. If you aren't prepared for isolation and you suddenly find yourself alone in an End of the World situation, you probably will do rather poorly.

Years of meditation, though, has enabled me to be able to handle isolation far better. It has also taught me to see the world and oneself in a completely different way. Yes, there is meaning beyond living as part of a social group. Now I can sort of see how Indian yogis are able to spend decades isolated in a cave somewhere.

If this is a concern, I would recommend studying this before you actually face prolonged isolation. You develop skills faster if you have teachers and classmates, and these may be in short supply at the End of the World.

#302121 - 12/03/23 07:57 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
M_a_x Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Check and recharche my rechargeables.
Printed some covers for BIC lighters. That allows to have them in the pocket without the risk of inadvertendly leaking gas. It also makes the wrap of tape transferable once the lighter is spent.
Some problems with my hip flexor required attention and additional excercise.
On the more fun side I got into brewing a light ginger beer for anti-inflamatory qualities of ginger. I also made some (non-alcohlic) hop water for my bitters. Cooled and carbonated it tastes fine.

#302122 - 12/03/23 09:28 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I think it's folly to expect to survive the End of the World. Hell, I'm not even sure I'd want to. While I love the wilderness and have tons of wild lands in my back yard (I'm in Montana), I am a human. Humans are social animals, and outside of the context of living as part of a social group what meaning does life have?

I regularly go for months with very little human contact, partly because of my work. That can be pretty hard if you still want the usual human things, and most people in my situation do, at least in the beginning. That can cause behavioral changes that are not good for you and not good for social interaction when you do come across people. If you aren't prepared for isolation and you suddenly find yourself alone in an End of the World situation, you probably will do rather poorly.

Years of meditation, though, has enabled me to be able to handle isolation far better. It has also taught me to see the world and oneself in a completely different way. Yes, there is meaning beyond living as part of a social group. Now I can sort of see how Indian yogis are able to spend decades isolated in a cave somewhere.

If this is a concern, I would recommend studying this before you actually face prolonged isolation. You develop skills faster if you have teachers and classmates, and these may be in short supply at the End of the World.

I have much lower need of social contact than anyone I know IRL. But that's not the point, really. A man in an Antarctic research station or the ISS may be very isolated but he knows "home" is there, waiting for him. There's a sense of being a part of something even while being temporarily distant from it. In a true EOTWAWKI situation there's nothing to go back to, no way to go "home." Individuals may live on as animals and maybe in twenty generations something of a civilization may emerge from the chaos. You may be interested in toughing it out so that some future society can exist; if that's you, great! That is noble. I've been through enough in my life that I'm probably not selfless enough to scratch out an existence for a couple decades in the hope of leaving the embers a little better off.

But I'll also say that I calculate the odds of this type of event within my lifetime as being pretty small. Not zero of course, but not worth devoting a lot of mental and emotional bandwidth to. My preparations are primarily focused on the likely things that have affected me in the past and/or probably will in the future. It's common to face weather events (eg blizzards here, hurricanes in some places), Earthquakes, financial reverses due to employment or health issues and disasters like fires and floods. On an even more mundane level preps include things like spare tires, bandaids, things to get through minor issues. Lastly, my preps include firearms, rifle-rated body armor, ammo and other security related items.

In short, my preps are based around the things that seem relevant to me and my life.

#302123 - 12/03/23 01:55 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley

As I contemplate the potential end of the world as we know it, I can't help but picture a future where humanity has adapted and continued to thrive. In this envisioned world, people continue to form meaningful connections with one another, and social interactions are just as prevalent and vital as they are today. I see a society that has found a way to persevere despite the chaos and uncertainty that may surround them. And in this society, I see myself as an active member, surrounded by people with whom I share mutual respect and understanding.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302124 - 12/03/23 02:27 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

A man in an Antarctic research station or the ISS may be very isolated but he knows "home" is there, waiting for him. There's a sense of being a part of something even while being temporarily distant from it. In a true EOTWAWKI situation there's nothing to go back to, no way to go "home."

Even after relocating permanently, the feeling of being a part of something can endure, so long as you manage to connect with a group of people who share your worldview and aspirations. As for myself, I'm fortunate enough to have other students of prophecy around me, who are equally passionate about uncovering the secrets of the future. I can already envision the animated discussions and debates we'll have, as we pore over ancient texts and prophecies, trying to decipher their meanings.

While I'm excited to immerse myself in this community, I'm also a little apprehensive about what the future holds. I don't know what kind of environment I'll find myself in, or what challenges may arise. As the old saying goes, "The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry," and I know that even the most carefully thought-out plans can be disrupted by unexpected events. Nonetheless, I feel confident that my sense of belonging and purpose will help me weather any storms that may come my way.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302130 - 12/09/23 05:22 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Carpal Tunnel

Yesterday, I ordered four 8-packs of evaporated milk and a thirty-count box of Nature Valley bars from Sam's Club.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 54 of 57 < 1 2 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 522 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.