Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#299106 - 06/14/21 04:25 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

So, thought I would update things as I have made some significant changes

Springfield Hellcat OSP

Changed the red dot from the SIG ROMEO Zero to a Holson HS507K-X2 with a CH Precision Components adapter plate (The plate works great, however the screws they supplied were damaged when they shortened them to fit and didn't QC them very well. QC is apparently an issue with this company, based on online comments) Bigger window and better dot options, plus more solid aluminum construction and easy to change out battery. Anyone need a ROMEO Zero cheap?

Viridian C5L Green laser/light combo (This is working great. I love it! At short to moderate ranges most typically involving self-defense I can literally put the green dot on the target without even bringing the pistol to eye level and hit exactly where the dot is. That could be a lifesaver. And, just to reiterate, the other best reason to install a laser is that green dot on an assailant's chest might hopefully persuade them to stop, saving me the significant hassle that results from pulling the trigger.)

In that regard, I also should note that through Knife Rights I am signed up for U.S. Law Shield. https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/protect-yourself/ KR gets a nominal payment when you sign up. Not having some legal protection plan/insurance if you ever consider you might defend yourself, at home or away, is insane and irresponsible to your loved ones, IMHO.

You might also gain some useful info from this article: The Aftermath of Self-Defense – What to Do & What NOT to Do https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/aftermath/

Trigger has been changed out a few times. <sigh> I am still using the spring set from the APEX Action Enhancement Trigger, but the actual trigger is an adjustable Hive Monarch Trigger. Finally, found the right one, I think.

DPM Systems Recoil Spring System (have settled on the medium spring)
Hogue HandALL Beavertail Grip Sleeve
Theis Holsters IWB Hybrid Holster w/ ECR While the Theis holster works fine, there's still the issue of the weight of the gun dragging down the pants, even with a tight belt. I am using a Groove belt and liking it.

I have alternatively lately been using an inexpensive UnderTech UnderCover Original Belly Band which I find less bothersome in most regards. I have modified it by removing some stitching to allow it to fit the pistol with the light/laser. I am still working on this and may eventually try some other Belly bands or get one custom built to suit my purposes. Not that I am OCD mind you...

I have now officially spent more on stuff than the original pistol cost! blush

Having moved the pistol to IWB, I was looking for an alternative less conspicuous way to carry a trauma kit than also carrying my man bag. I still have the bag depending on circumstances, but wanted another option.

Based on a recommendation from my fried Tom, I am wearing a Ryker Nylon Gear AFAK (Ankle First Aid Kit) that he generously provided. I was worried that it would be annoying around my ankle, but wearing it at BLADE Show where I was on my feet for 4 days straight, I literally forget it was there. I suppose that it helps that I wear old man jeans with pretty wide pants leg opening. Carried in the AFAK:

Small Trauma Shears
TacMedSol SOF-T tourniquet
QuickClot Hemostatic Combat Gauze (Z-Fold)
H&H Mini-Compression Bandage
Hyfin Compact Chest Seal
1 Pair Nitrile gloves
Wet-Ones Towelette
Phokus Frog Tape pack
4 x 1" Coverlet Adhesive Bandages in zipperlock bag
2 x 2x4" Curad X-Large Flex Fabric Adhesive Bandages in zipperlock bag
Vacuum-sealed Chewable Benadryl 12.5mg x 4
Vacuum-sealed Low Dose Aspirin 81mg Coated x 2
Sharpie Mini

Edited by Doug_Ritter (07/11/21 02:42 PM)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299107 - 06/14/21 08:25 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Nice! I'd like to get at least one sidearm set up with an optic.

#299111 - 06/15/21 01:07 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I’m personally choosing to stay with iron sights on handguns for now. I only want to train one way. But I do think that the red dot on handguns is here to stay, and one day I’m sure I’ll make the switch.

#299112 - 06/15/21 01:59 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't have a lot of trigger time behind handgun optics but my experiences to date have me convinced that RDS are the future, on all firearms. It's so much easier to get hits, especially at speed, that it's almost cheating. It would truly to suck to ever have to use my sidearm in a defensive situation and find myself & an iron-sighted sidearm facing an attacker that had a RDS on his or her sidearm! eek

#299113 - 06/15/21 03:06 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Phaedrus]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

The difficulty with the RDS is changing your muscle memory from iron sights. It takes hundreds, if not thousands, of draws to get to the point that the dot is ALWAYS immediately visible. A new shooter has the advantage of not having to unlearn years of muscle memory and I've seen them take to it readily.

An RDS is easy with a rifle. A pistol is a lot harder. If you have to search for the dot, you lose a significant part of the advantage in quickness. At short ranges, typical of most self-defense use, my first option is always the laser because I can see it on target even before I get the sight into position, and if necessary I can shoot before it is even in my RDS. But, I practice mostly with the laser off, because it's just so easy to use it would become a crutch.

Belt and suspenders. I can be more accurate, particularly at higher ranges, quicker and more consitant with the RDS than with iron sights on my Glock. But, I still need to get the muscle memory down to the not thinking about it point. Still working on that. Not ever going back to iron sights.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299114 - 06/15/21 05:20 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It does take some reps but not necessarily a lot of live fire. Have you ever looked at Modern Samurai Project? Scott "Jedi" Jedlinski has some drills that can shave months off of the time it takes to get your draw stroke in line with the optic. It's definitely easier with a rifle; as soon as you get a cheek weld you're pretty much lined up in the dot. It does take more work to learn to use the RDS on a pistol but IMO it's worth the effort. It's especially good for those of us with older eyes. I have pretty strong corrective lenses so it's a real challenge to focus on the front sight. The huge advantage of the RDS is having the "sight" ie the dot in the same focal plane as the target. smile

#299115 - 06/15/21 11:27 AM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I have seriously considered moving to RDS on my HK USP Compact. Aging and it is really annoying to have to ask an attacker to "wait a moment, I need my readers". Good muscle memory and high contrast iron sights work to get it in the center of mass, but a more precise system would be better.

#299117 - 06/15/21 12:45 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I'm scheduled for cataract surgery at the end of the month, but have previously switched to RDS sights on my full sized pistols, mostly because of difficulty with discerning the front from rear tritium lit (all green) sights of my G17... unless I heeled the pistol to make sure which sight I was looking at, it was very confusing... my first RDS on a pistol was via an aftermarket Swensen slide and Vortex Venom on a G17... my final iteration is a Trijicon RMR2 on a G17.3... I had BattleWerx mill the slide and they did an exceptional job.. I used a DPP Titanium anti flicker plate... it had it's first year with a continuous lit dot's birthday last October...

I have several Holosun models (507/510) on my competition firearms, and concur with Doug's choice... if I had a do over, a 507 would be on the Venom sighted pistol... I have the large window 510 on my Steel Challenge rim fires...

my EDC carry is still a G43x with single tritium Dawson front and plain black... not nearly as confusing as a 3 dot system for me

regards Les

#299118 - 06/15/21 01:08 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: LesSnyder]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I'm trying to decide on a Holosun or a Vortex Optics RDS on my hunting pistol. Any recommendations on which brand to get?
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299120 - 06/15/21 01:43 PM Re: What's your current EDC? (Every Day Carry) [Re: Phaedrus]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It does take some reps but not necessarily a lot of live fire. Have you ever looked at Modern Samurai Project? Scott "Jedi" Jedlinski has some drills that can shave months off of the time it takes to get your draw stroke in line with the optic. It's definitely easier with a rifle; as soon as you get a cheek

For sure these reps don't have to be at the range. I'll check out your suggestion. There are lots of "drills" to accomplish this. The most important thing is to do it.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.