Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#299045 - 06/02/21 05:57 AM old timer chat
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Well, I thought you are the only gang out there that can keep a secret. LOL. So I am going to tell you what happened.

Being old retiree, I wake up early , every morning, and do what retirees do; looking for trouble. LOL. I usually do small tasks while everyone is asleep, especially my 'supervisor'. Yesterday, I was spraying alcohol in some corner of the house to get rid of some insects ( I don't like pesticides, so I may use WD-40 to flood ant holes ...etc. ) , and yes, it works. Anyway, I tripped and the alcohol spray bottle fell and slightly opened, and some alcohol spilled, which caused me to slip over it.

OUCH. It was not nice. But God almighty has done several things to prevent it from being worse. For example, the alcohol wasn't spilled completely or else I might have been chocked by the vapors (semi-closed area). Also, my head was so close to a concrete step in the floor and my head didn't bang there. Worst thing that happened was my leg was twisted and needed some time and some manuevering to get it straight. I am obese, and the area is about 3 feet wide only. To this moment my hip is sore.

But shhhhhh , no one noticed.
Went back to my laptop and sat there like a good boy till everyone was awake.

Good stuff
I had my mobile phone on me, so if it was necessary, I would have called my daughter (she is a doctor and best friend, won't tell mom what happened). Cell phone is number one items in core edc stuff. It is with me even at home.

I also think I was calm enough. Didn't panic. Although my twisted leg gave me strange feeling and some worries. But didn't hear anything breaking. It was close.

Bad stuff
I forgot to be careful. Having knee problem, and occasional hip problem , (AND being obese and 65 ..etc.) and hearing so many stories about senior people falling , I should have been more careful

#299046 - 06/02/21 06:03 AM Re: old timer chat [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

OK
Moral of the story
If you are that old and that fat. BE CAREFUL

But I have a question.
Not related to the story.

I am looking for some books and need your help giving me suggestions. A few years back I had a book that may have a title like this ( Everyday Math for homeowners ) . Forgot the exact title. It had math equations to help you do financial calculations, construction calculations, tax calculations ..etc. It had unit conversions for area, volume, pressure, energy ..etc.
I just cannot remember the title, even after googling it

Also, if possible, I am looking for any kind of 'handyman companion' type book like the DESK REF by Glover. I remember another book of that category but my memory cells are falling apart and cannot gather the details

If you know any book that is close to these subjects, I will appreciate it.

#299047 - 06/02/21 08:44 AM Re: old timer chat [Re: Chisel]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I don't know the book but I'm glad your spill wasn't worse! I took a spill at work in early March that broke the ball and socket of my right shoulder, and I just got out of the sling this week. Still can't work and am on work comp. So I understand how dangerous a fall can be! eek

#299048 - 06/02/21 01:07 PM Re: old timer chat [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm glad you weren't more seriously injured.

Is this the book you're looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1K29MT/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

#299049 - 06/02/21 07:47 PM Re: old timer chat [Re: Chisel]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
'Two legs unstable -three legs stable'
Old Irish Saying.
Walk with a stick.
Wouldn't have helped you in that instance I know.
You also have a weapon ALREADY in your hand.
I want airbags in my clothes when I'm doddery!
Qjs

#299050 - 06/02/21 10:13 PM Re: old timer chat [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Yet another geezer chiming in....Statistically, falls are the bane of our existence. Glad yours wasn't any worse.

Walking sticks are really handy, even the fancy-dancy collapsible ones now in fashion. For really serious, prolonged work, there is a lot to bee said for the repurposed shovel handle. Either variety is useful in snake country or crossing streams

#299051 - 06/03/21 05:45 AM Re: old timer chat [Re: Phaedrus]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Phaedrus

Be well, and be careful

#299052 - 06/03/21 05:47 AM Re: old timer chat [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Book is similar but my aching brain cells don't remember the phrase "everyday solutions". Maybe a similar book. I will check it out . Thanks

#299053 - 06/03/21 05:48 AM Re: old timer chat [Re: quick_joey_small]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
I want airbags in my clothes when I'm doddery!

LOL
Great idea

#299054 - 06/03/21 05:53 AM Re: old timer chat [Re: hikermor]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Walking sticks are really handy

Planning to use one, especially when I start the construction project
Project is delayed because of the engineering office messed up the job and I am shifting to another office. Just a day before meeting, he apologized and postponed the meeting cuz he got Corona.

Anyways. Most accidents happen when we are in 5th gear.
We geezers should walk like geezers, not like teenagers.
LOL.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 611 Guests and 133 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.