Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#298478 - 02/25/21 03:41 PM Getting Ready for the Next Disaster
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
https://enewspaper.latimes.com/desktop/l...d4-4c2a3e183800

Here is a really pertinent article about preparing for disasters, pointing out that 'California has a stellar record of preparing for the earthquake we just had.", waring us not to be too smug about Texas' travails.

I apologize for the clunky posting above - the pertinent article is on page A15, toward the bottom. Technologically challenged as I am, I cannot figure out a better way to bring this to your attention.

#298480 - 02/25/21 06:11 PM Re: Getting Ready for the Next Disaster [Re: hikermor]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
This? Just googled the quote you included.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/20...pply-regulation

#298481 - 02/25/21 06:16 PM Re: Getting Ready for the Next Disaster [Re: Ren]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Bravo!! Directly to the article.

#298484 - 02/27/21 04:30 PM Re: Getting Ready for the Next Disaster [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Looking at this particular situation, it seems like a city water distribution grid would be almost impossible to harden reliably. I wonder if upgrading building code to require a secondary water storage tank that's continually flushed is more viable.

Edited by dougwalkabout (02/27/21 04:31 PM)

#298506 - 03/02/21 03:26 PM Re: Getting Ready for the Next Disaster [Re: dougwalkabout]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I wonder if upgrading building code to require a secondary water storage tank that's continually flushed is more viable.

That's a pretty good idea! Something like a water heater but just a storage tank. It might be worth putting some sort of instant, automatic valve system on it so if pipes somewhere do break the tank disconnects itself from the plumbing.
-Blast

Edited by Blast (03/02/21 03:27 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#298515 - 03/03/21 12:53 PM Re: Getting Ready for the Next Disaster [Re: Blast]
NAro Offline
Addict

By no means an expert on plumbing, but what about an actual electric water heater...heating element removed/disabled... plumbed in series with the working water heater/s so that cold intake goes to the dummy...then to the working heaters. That way as you use hot water in daily life the "water storage" dummy heater's water drains/refills and stays reasonably fresh. Ball valves and drain valves could isolate this storage drum.
IF....and I don't really know...there is a reason why you shouldn't consider the water in the actual water heaters potable.

#298534 - 03/04/21 03:08 PM Re: Getting Ready for the Next Disaster [Re: NAro]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: NAro
By no means an expert on plumbing, but what about an actual electric water heater...heating element removed/disabled... plumbed in series with the working water heater/s

I've considered that. Here in Texas it's quite common to have the water heater up in the attic...which sucks for all sorts of reasons. In the 20+ years I've been in our house I've gone through three water heaters. It's easy to tell when it needs replacing because water starts pouring through the ceiling. frown

When it's time to replace the heater the plumbers charge extra to pull the old one down out of the attic. I've considered leaving it up there and plumbing it into the system like you described...but in my mine I see the result being even more water damage when the tank goes bad. frown

Hmmm...maybe moving the old tank outside and just connecting it to an outdoor faucet might be a better idea. I just need to make sure it's drained before a freeze but then it won't have water when I'm most likely to need it. Frustrating.
-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#298536 - 03/04/21 05:07 PM Re: Getting Ready for the Next Disaster [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

How about a tankless system? When our water heater gave up the ghost we went to a tankless system and it works quite well.

Our hot water lines were originally plumbed in the attic so we have the same surefire notification system of any problems....

#298546 - 03/04/21 07:34 PM Re: Getting Ready for the Next Disaster [Re: hikermor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
How about a tankless system? When our water heater gave up the ghost we went to a tankless system and it works quite well.

Our hot water lines were originally plumbed in the attic so we have the same surefire notification system of any problems....

I looked into that but the price was more than I could afford...assuming the salesperson wasn't lying. He claimed I would also need to install a water softening system to avoid voiding the warranty of the tankless heater.
-Blast

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.