The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#298443 - 02/21/21 04:47 PM Re: Texas after action report [Re: Phaedrus]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
The more accurate way to describe the situation if Anthropomorphic Climate Change.

I think you mean "anthropogenic," right? Anthropogenic means caused by (or "originating" from) human activities. Anthropomorphic means looking like human beings.

#298444 - 02/21/21 05:58 PM Re: Texas after action report [Re: Blast]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Great AAR and well done sir.

Originally Posted By: Blast
1. Let myself get really wet while getting generator set up.

The best way to get warm is to stay warm.

Quote:
2. Had forgotten the proper steps to start generator.

I have an inexpensive home laminator purchased from Costco. I used it to protect the Generator Operation Checklist I wrote and attached to our generator. This makes the generator operable by Mrs. Magnet or the Offspring.

Quote:
4. Get spare pull rope for starting generator, just in case.

My generator has a section in the manual describing how to start it with a cordless drill.

Quote:

5. Dig out 12vdc battery-to-MacBook power cables.
6. Get 12vdc power cable for WiFi router
7. Get 12vdc power cable for fiber optic modem.

This is a very good idea. You can also use a relatively inexpensive UPS to provide power stability for your network equipment. It's low draw and if sized correctly you can get a day or more out of it. Since this gear is sensitive to power fluctuations I have mine in place to keep my internet working if our power "bumps" more than an hours-long outage.

Also, keep in mind that any use of a transformer reduces efficiency. If you take 12VDC power and use an inverter to bring it up to 120VAC, then plug your Mac power brick into that, you'll use significantly more watt-hours transforming the power than you might have to. Going direct from 12VDC to 20VDC (which is what my Mac uses, be sure to know the right voltage for your machine!) is going to be a far more efficient use of your limited power budget.

Quote:

8. Make styrofoam block for running power cord through the window
16. Buy hose clamps and flexible hose big enough to slide over broken pipes. No pipes actually broke.

Really good ideas, these had not occurred to me. You can also use PVC pipe couplings for this.

#298445 - 02/21/21 06:05 PM Re: Texas after action report [Re: quick_joey_small]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
But we best drop this subject; pointing out climate deniers are wrong is banned on ETS.

Correct.

Originally Posted By: The Survival Forum Rules and Courtesies
Politics, religion and philosophy can be stimulating to discuss and debate, but this is not the place to do it. Discussion of "Climate Change" inevitably descends into ugly divisiveness that is essentially political, so that subject is also not allowed.

chaosmagnet

#298446 - 02/21/21 06:05 PM Re: Texas after action report [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
The more accurate way to describe the situation if Anthropomorphic Climate Change.

I think you mean "anthropogenic," right? Anthropogenic means caused by (or "originating" from) human activities. Anthropomorphic means looking like human beings.

Bingley is correct regarding the word choice.

#298447 - 02/21/21 06:15 PM Re: Texas after action report [Re: brandtb]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: brandtb
Thanks, Blast & Chaos, for the propane info. Several questions -

For something for the Generac LP3250, how much does it weigh?

Can it be tied directly into the house power system by having an electrician install a transfer switch?

Does it have computerized components that would be fried in a solar storm or EMP?

Run periodically to keep from freezing up (mechanically, not temperature)? How long?

Other than oil and filter, what maintenance?

The Internet tells me that specific unit weights 137 lbs. Mine (a Champion) has a pair of wheels and a folding handle on it that makes it relatively easy to move around on flat surfaces. It's not as easy to move on steps.

Any generator that outputs 120VAC (in the USA at least) can be safely and legally used with a properly installed transfer switch.

My generator doesn't have any semiconductors in it and I expect that it would start and run after an EMP. I imagine the Generac model you mention is similar. I don't begin to have enough fuel on hand for that to matter to me, for more than a few days using the generator sparingly.

My generator has a long-term storage procedure and starts within 2-3 pulls after a year of storage if I follow the procedure correctly. If you don't follow the manufacturers' long-term storage procedure and the manual doesn't suggest an interval to run it periodically, I'd guess at running it for an hour a month.

Oil, gas, air filter, rare spark plug changes (I have a couple spares), and mine allegedly needs a new fuel hose every five years. I've always done that pre-emptively, never having had a fuel hose failure.

If there's a model you're particularly interested in, I bet you could download the manual for it before making a purchase.

Edited by chaosmagnet (02/21/21 06:26 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#298448 - 02/21/21 06:24 PM Re: Texas after action report [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

With any generator:
  • They emit carbon monoxide and other gasses that can kill you. Always run them outside and away from air intakes and windows.
  • They run hot. Don't fuel them when hot. Don't let the exhaust hurt someone or cause a fire. Use a spark arrestor on the exhaust.
  • Ideally you'll have a flat, paved spot out of the rain to operate it. I'd be comfortable operating mine on a flat spot that's unpaved but away from anything flammable. Mine is not designed to run in rain or snowy conditions.
  • Remove all electrical loads before starting, and if you possibly can let it run for at least a few minutes before adding electrical loads. Remove all electrical loads before stopping, and let it run for a minute or so without a load before stopping.
  • Don't let the fuel gum up. Either run it completely dry, or stabilize the fuel and log when you fill it up so that you don't let it gum up after the stabilizer expires. I like to run mine on a 50/50 mix of stabilizer and gasoline for at least a few minutes until it runs dry, then restart it until it won't run any more at all. After that I change the oil (while it's warm or hot) and squirt some oil into the cylinder, as per the long-term storage procedure for my unit.
  • I use expensive full synthetic motor oil for the four small engines I own (lawnmower, snowthrower, generator and gas chainsaw). A local small engine mechanic gave me a thorough butt-chewing over how I maintained the lawnmower that he had just fixed for me a couple decades ago. I've seen him only very rarely since and (when I had him fix a cable on my lawnmower) joked with him again about that incident.

#298449 - 02/21/21 06:29 PM Re: Texas after action report [Re: brandtb]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: brandtb
Thanks, Blast & Chaos, for the propane info. Several questions -

Q1. For something for the Generac LP3250, how much does it weigh?

Q2. Can it be tied directly into the house power system by having an electrician install a transfer switch?

Q3. Does it have computerized components that would be fried in a solar storm or EMP?

Q4. Run periodically to keep from freezing up (mechanically, not temperature)? How long?

Q5.Other than oil and filter, what maintenance?

A1. 137lbs without a 20lb fuel tank

A2. Yes, along with four 120VAC/20A outlets it also has one 120/240V twist-lock outlet that can be connected to the house.

A3. Good question. It doesn't seem to have a computer and looking over the manual, nothing jumps out at me that would need a computer.

A4. Nope, that's the main reason I went with propane over gasoline. The carburetor doesn't get gummed up. Once I'm done using it I follow the instructions to pull the spark plug, pour 15cc of the oil into the cylinder, and pull the pull start four times to spread the oil around. Then reinstall the sparkplug and shove it into the garage until the next disaster.

A5. Change the spark plug every season or before use...which I haven't actually done. Check the air filter before each use, replace if overly dirty. Also note, propane cylinder valves have an expiration date and once it expires propane refillers won't refill it. It's easy enough to swap an expired 20lb tank but I'm not sure what to do with my two 100lb tanks. smirk
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#298450 - 02/21/21 08:15 PM Re: Texas after action report [Re: TeacherRO]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
O.K., Blast & Chaos, great info. I will have to build a little wooden shelter or put it under the deck to keep it out of the rain.

#298451 - 02/21/21 10:00 PM Re: Texas after action report [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Bingley

Hahaha, good catch! That is the word I meant to say. blush

#298452 - 02/22/21 04:09 AM Re: Texas after action report [Re: chaosmagnet]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I have an inexpensive home laminator purchased from Costco. I used it to protect the Generator Operation Checklist I wrote and attached to our generator. This makes the generator operable by Mrs. Magnet or the Offspring.

This is a really good idea. I have such checklists attached to different pieces of equipment. You don't want to make a simple mistake like skipping a step, wondering whether your equipment is broken during an emergency. Reading a machine manual by candlelight is just not as romantic as it sounds. I know from experience.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
This is a very good idea. You can also use a relatively inexpensive UPS to provide power stability for your network equipment.

UPS for everybody! For those who work from home, an UPS should be able to protect you from brief power interruptions during a Zoom meeting. If a hurricane knocks out local power, you may still have internet access through your router as long as you can power it. Don't count on cell service.

Is this how you start a generator with a drill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIqsh4aXFPs

Edited by Bingley (02/22/21 04:10 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.