Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#297873 - 12/28/20 08:19 PM Validation?
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We've been here getting ready for years...Does the pandemic validate our preps and thinking?

#297881 - 12/28/20 09:32 PM Re: Validation? [Re: TeacherRO]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
In my case the pandemic was not a stress test for my preps. It did not even get close. There where only two items I couldnīt purchase in stores temporarily: corned beef and toilet paper. I did not run out of either.
I had the ingredients for hand sanitisers. They still where available e. g. in electronics shops too.
I evaluated my supplies to determine if I could get through 14 days of quarantine. I could and have left plenty to go.
As expected the hoards did not come to my door to loot my supplies. I chose to ignore the griping of others when they complained about shortages. That worked out well too.
Basically all the hoarding in Germany was done in panic. When one person starts it others feel the need to follow. I do not even want to know how many people bought canned goods they do not actually like just to have supplies. I wish them good appetite when they start consuming the stuff.

#297893 - 12/29/20 08:10 AM Re: Validation? [Re: TeacherRO]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I didn't have much hand sanitizer, but the bottle I did had still isn't empty. Hand sanitizer appeared quickly at store entrances. And after a few months were easily found. Did order a few more little bottles, but also got some provided from work and places where I did courses at. So I guess I now have more than I can use before they expire. Wrapped most in aluminum foil to prevent the alcohol from evaporating through the packaging. Avoiding going out and just washing with soap was adequate most of the time.

I had a stack of FFP3-V (European equivalent of N99's), the valved version. So the policy is that masks are there to protect others, so they were the wrong kind of mask for that purpose. Especially at the start with a shortage of PPE, people will give you dirty looks if you wear a proper mask. Then again, I mostly just avoided being at places where others are.

Ordering things just before things are announced is handy. The information would be 'leaked' beforehand, so I ordered extra surgical masks. The price doubled the next day. Then again €3,80 for a 50 pack including package, jumping to €7 isn't that much of an issue. Prices now dropped down a little, but I think my stack will easily be enough until the end of this pandemic.

Having extra food is pretty handy. I had plenty when I had to go into quarantine. Didn't even touch my emergency food or even my weekend crate (crate with food for a last-minute weekender).

Not wanting to get out and buy stuff, made me more creative in fixing things. Good thing I had plenty of glue, epoxy, and other consumables lying around.

Apparently working from home works really well.

So in short; didn't have many issues.

#297895 - 12/29/20 12:08 PM Re: Validation? [Re: TeacherRO]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I would say no. I see 2020 as the start of things to come.

Jeanette Isabelle

#297912 - 12/30/20 11:40 PM Re: Validation? [Re: TeacherRO]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
We've actually done very well. Lucky to have retired before this mess. We call it "groundhog day" because we have to stay home, and each day seems like the one before it. It'll get better.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Doug_Ritter), 258 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Ren
Today at 02:41 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.