The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#297339 - 10/21/20 05:30 PM Re: Election plans [Re: haertig]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: haertig
But these days, the biggest threat to one's life and health is not some misadventure on a trail somewhere. It is your political beliefs! This is very sad. So while we still cannot discuss politics here (and that's a good thing), what we are discussing is surviving political unrest. Identifying people who may possibly attack us for our views. Planning and discussing on how to protect ourselves from such an attack - which by it's nature, is not a pretty or a pleasant thing to discuss.

I don't think preparing for some sort of attack is out of bounds. Some of us have been preparing our whole lives when others attack us for our skin color, our sexual orientation, our religion, etc. In fact, some of us have been attacked, and can share tips for safety.

Not too long ago some big guy in a dirty T-shirt and an old van showed up at my house to tell me "we don't want your kind here." Fortunately my neighbors were all cool. When I told them the story, they offered me their guns.

Getting worried for personal safety over politics is a recent thing. If that's your life experience, then you have been luckier than others. See, you can't hide your skin color, but you can hide your politics. My first advice: don't talk politics, take down all signs, when people come by, give them the impression you're on their side, no matter what you think of them, but you're just too lazy to go out, join groups, take action, or whatever. Sometimes the way you talk and the way you dress can give you away. Change that. This may sound extreme to you, but for a long, long time many people have had to do it for safety.

#297340 - 10/21/20 07:55 PM Re: Election plans [Re: Phaedrus]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Originally Posted By: brandtb

I never got the yard signs, I doubt if they change any minds. At best, an expensive way of aerating a very small part of the front yard.

Same here! Bumper stickers, too! Who here as ever saw a sign in a stranger's yard or a sticker on a stranger's car and thought to himself, "Well, I guess I better be pro-life now!" or "I guess I better vote for Joe Blow now!"

We may be wrong about those yard signs and bumper stickers.

https://www.theonion.com/highly-informed-voter-has-spent-weeks-studying-trump-b-1845427651

#297341 - 10/21/20 10:46 PM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have been known to go collect yard signs after an election (I always ask if I can have them first). They make great target holders for outdoor rifle ranges. Tape your printed targets over them and you have a bunch of ready-to-go stands for your next range trip.

#297342 - 10/21/20 10:49 PM Re: Election plans [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Some of us have been preparing our whole lives when others attack us for our skin color, our sexual orientation, our religion, etc. In fact, some of us have been attacked, and can share tips for safety.

Sorry to hear that has happened to you Bingley. Life is not always fair or just. I wish it were, but realize that sometimes it isn't.

#297343 - 10/22/20 01:46 AM Re: Election plans [Re: Bingley]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Some of us have been preparing our whole lives when others attack us for our skin color, our sexual orientation, our religion, etc.

I have no desire to get into a fight with anyone, and I know the whole situation is supercharged right now. But I will add my voice and say this sort of rubbish is not acceptable to me. I've seen it too often -- small people who can only build themselves up by tearing others down. It's easy to destroy; it's hard to build. My 2c.

#297345 - 10/22/20 11:57 PM Re: Election plans [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
. . . .

A couple mentioned taking down the American flag to be a grey man. In the gated community we live in, everybody, except for those who are gone for a while, keep their flag up. Therefore, to be the grey man, should we keep ours up?

Jeanette Isabelle

The best place to hide a leaf is in a forest.

#297346 - 10/23/20 01:34 AM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Stay safe everyone. I sincerely hope it doesn't get ugly.

#297350 - 10/23/20 05:38 PM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I hope no one is distracted from Corona.
It is still around.

#297462 - 11/05/20 01:30 PM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Does anyone live near protest sites? It looks like unrest is starting.

By the way, thanks for the support, guys. At my current location, I encounter discriminatory acts like the one I mentioned a few times a year, generally at work. There is basically nothing anyone can do to prevent them in the short term. People in supervisory positions generally just tell me they're sorry. Some people don't even want to open their eyes and see what's happening to me.

In the long term, however, just as we try to build a community with our neighbors to prepare for emergencies, so must we do another form of prep-- building a truly fair, just society. We cannot be passive and just comfort ourselves with the thought that we are on the good side. We must do something for the good side.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 149 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.