The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#297292 - 10/18/20 01:09 AM Election plans
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Without getting political, what are your preparations for any demonstrations before-during-after the election?

As for myself, I an taking down my American flag and Gadsden flag, and going grey. I don't expect any major demonstrations in my little town, but there could be minor vandalism.

#297293 - 10/18/20 01:51 AM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm planning to vote! grin That is all. smile

#297294 - 10/18/20 02:12 AM Re: Election plans [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Already voted. Also notified that my ballot has been received, checked, nd will be counted.

Will watch returns Nov 3.

#297295 - 10/18/20 02:23 AM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I will probably try to get in and vote early, too.

#297297 - 10/18/20 03:44 AM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Plans for demonstrations? Stay far away from them. Go nowhere near mobs. Everyone has an opinion, nobody cares what mine is, so no need to demonstrate.

But I am preparing for them to come to me, even if I currently think that is unlikely. Over the last few weeks I have been taking my military and "evil black rifles" to the range alongside the normal precision target rifles I usually shoot. I have been refreshing my memory on where all those seldom-shot "assault rifles" hit, what distance they are zeroed at, etc. And I am creating ballistic cards to tape to each stock. Usually I use a tablet to calculate ballistics, but a pre-printed card is better for defense use.

ALL rifle mags are in the process of being fully loaded and stored alongside the rifle that uses them. All handgun ammo is in the process of being moving into labeled caliber-specific ammo boxes with a firearm (and multiple mags) appropriate for that caliber included in the ammo can. What I'm after are simple "grab-and-go" defense deployments.

Just like wearing a seatbelt when I don't expect to get in a car wreck, I want to be ready for defense even if I don't expect the need to arise. Its easy enough to unload mags and put things away later, at my leisure. Conversely, I wouldn't want to have to assemble them in a rapid manner - I want them completely ready for action in advance.

Paranoid much? Yeah, I am. That's how you stay alive during surprises.

#297298 - 10/18/20 08:48 AM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Mags can be loaded all the time, the spring does not fatique. That´s some old folks tale.

Edited by Herman30 (10/18/20 08:50 AM)

#297300 - 10/18/20 12:13 PM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
We'll do what we normally do every election night, have pizza as we watch the results. It's become somewhat of a tradition going back to the early 2000s.

Jeanette Isabelle

#297301 - 10/18/20 02:25 PM Re: Election plans [Re: brandtb]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Haertig... I've been considering obtaining some Night Vision equipment for a couple of years, but decided against it... my neighborhood has a lot of large overhang trees, privacy fences, relative close houses, and no real clear lanes of vision except for the road way..I live on the corner so I have 4 directions to observe... I have been testing the light gathering ability of my inexpensive Tasco binoculars under normal street light... 7x35 and 12x50, with a 5mm and 4.2mm exit pupil diameters... the slight numerical difference does make my 7x35 slightly better, and the lower power gives me a much better sense of distance at night...

both of my black rifles have Trijicon 4x42 ACOGS and have excellent 8mm exit pupils...

I even added a light mount off the binoculars that hold a P60 high intensity light..

you might want to see how well your long range scopes do as to gathering light, just in case... regards

#297302 - 10/18/20 03:42 PM Re: Election plans [Re: Herman30]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Herman30
Mags can be loaded all the time, the spring does not fatique. That´s some old folks tale.

Understood. Springs don't fatigue under constant pressure. They fatigue from use - compress, stretch, compress, stretch. And it takes a lot of that to wear out a spring.

Most of the mags I have that aren't loaded (thus far) are that way because they are backups - still in their original packaging, unopened. I always keep a minimum of three active (and numbered) mags per firearm, sometimes more. Anything above that I consider backups, and those may remain in their original packaging. Or at least in the past they have remained in their original packaging...

#297303 - 10/18/20 04:05 PM Re: Election plans [Re: LesSnyder]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder

you might want to see how well your long range scopes do as to gathering light, just in case... regards

I am not really set up for night shooting. I only have traditional scopes. On my long range rifles, one is equipped with a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 with a 30mm tube. Another rifle has a scope with the same size tube and objective, but that scope is a Vortex PST 4-16x50 FFP. My scopes go down in quality from there, the next being a SWFA SS 10x42 30mm tube. That's actually a very decent and solid scope, looking at how little money they charge for it.

The best binoculars I have are an old pair of Minolta 10x50's (over 30 years old!) They were considered good quality back then, and they still are reasonable enough to meet my needs today. If I were to buy new binoculars, they would probably be 7x50's. I can handhold 10x steady enough for most uses, but it's not always easy to do (for me). Not with those large Minolta's at least. I am much steadier with 7x.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.