Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#296438 - 06/20/20 08:29 PM Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Excellent query -At what point does trash, junk, and litter become a historic artifact? Actually there is a textbook answer -50 years for historical consideration and 100 years before we turn the archaeologists loose. Obviously, some events are historic well before those guidelines obtain - the twin towers of 9/11, for instance.

As one who has made a decent living and had many wonderful experiences dealing with the trash, junk, and litter, to say nothing of the garbage, of the past, I pay attention to how these potentially informative materials are handled....

i understand various alternatives are currently being considered with respect to the ultimate disposition of the bus. I don't have a dog in this particular fight, but I would only hope that due consideration is given to preservation of the bus and decent presentation of the story it embodies. There are lessons to be learned form that story.

What is it they say? "Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them." or something like that...

The NPS doesn't have any kind of jurisdiction until a sitting president issues a proclamation establishing a National Monument or signs into law a bill, passed by Congress, creating a National Park or equivalent.

Alaska is a prime example of the process. During the Carter Administration, Congress stalled on passing a gargantuan bill creating numerous parks and preserves. Carter therefore proclaimed them as National monuments, forestalling destructive measures, until Congress got around to coming up with the legislation.

#297114 - 09/25/20 03:16 AM Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
The famous/infamous "Into the Wild" bus has now returned to Fairbanks, where it will become an exhibit.
‘Into the Wild’ bus arrives in Fairbanks after one last trip north on the Parks Highway.

Depending on ones point of view, the bus was either a piece of junk littering the wilderness, a historical artifact, or a shrine to Christopher McCandless. As a practical matter, it was an attractant that had led to two deaths (in addition to McCandless), and far too many SAR incidents.
Quote:
The bus served as a shelter for hunters and hikers for years, but more recently started attracting numerous travelers enamored with McCandless' story who ended up needing rescue themselves. Between 2009 and 2017, there were 15 bus-related search and rescue operations by the state, Alaska officials have said.

Note that while the bus has been moved, the Teklanika River is still in its former location. Anyone who wants to hike into the area and try their luck at crossing the river is still free to do so. They will now need to carry a tent to shelter in, however.

#297115 - 09/25/20 03:53 AM Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Nice! Those that want to see the magic bus can still do it and a chunk of pristine wilderness is free of a giant hunk of rusting man-made junk.

#297119 - 09/25/20 03:18 PM Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
It's in better condition than I expected.

#297153 - 09/30/20 01:56 PM Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail [Re: Teslinhiker]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Wilderness 2.0:
We put cable handrails on difficult terrain to permit passage by folks who lack the skills to make the climb. It means that more folks can enjoy nature. Too much traffic starts to degrade the setting, so we establish a permitting/metering systems to control overuse. Then we simulate the experience by manufacturing synthetic climbing walls, creating VR simulations, and bring access to the wilderness into urban settings...which stimulates new folks to experience the real thing...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.