Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#297128 - 09/26/20 08:54 PM Re: Mistakes I have seem... [Re: teacher]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You're much more likely to be in such things as a car accident.

#297129 - 09/27/20 03:24 AM Re: Mistakes I have seem... [Re: Eugene]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Eugene
You're much more likely to be in such things as a car accident.

True. But preparedness isn't statistically analyzing the risks, then preparing for #1 and ignoring all the rest. smirk Maybe the most likely risk is a car accident but that doesn't mean you should live on a diet of fast food, cancel your homeowner's insurance and removed the locks from all your doors. wink

#297152 - 09/30/20 01:45 PM Re: Mistakes I have seem... [Re: chaosmagnet]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I train a bunch of active-duty military, vets, and police officers. They tend to wear plate carriers and plates.

My choice has been that mobility matters more to me than body armor. I’m not morally against body armor, I just don’t think it’s the right choice for me right now.

Maybe it is generational. If you grow up surrounded by plate carriers, you want to have one with you.

I haven't really warmed up to hydration bladders, 5.56 mm weapons or rap music; canteens, shotguns and Bach are quite comforting.

Boomer out-

#297215 - 10/08/20 07:18 AM Re: Mistakes I have seem... [Re: teacher]
nursetim Offline

Loc: the last bastion of PHRASECENS...
Do y’all still think he was being “pessimistic” in light of the riots? As a city dweller, I’m pretty sure he had current human behavior well pegged.

#299319 - 07/12/21 03:15 PM Re: Mistakes I have seem... [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Many people buy the wrong sized pack; both in volume and torso length.

#299323 - 07/12/21 09:54 PM Re: Mistakes I have seem... [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: teacher
Many people buy the wrong sized pack; both in volume and torso length.

Guilty! A couple years ago I bought a $450 Mystery Ranch pack and didn't really pay attention to the sizing. I wanted a large waist belt but I ordered one with the XL yoke! whistle Didn't try the pack out until the return period was over so I got stuck with a pack that I can't adjust down to get the load lifters right. The good news is I finally sold the pack...for $125! cry I'm taking it to the buyer tomorrow. And expensive lesson!

#299328 - 07/13/21 02:35 PM Re: Mistakes I have seem... [Re: teacher]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
In regards to the plate carrier, depending on what's along the route to get home, they may actually be prudent. I live on the north side of Houston and used to work exactly 50 miles away on the south side of the city. How to get home if a sudden SHTF situation was a MAJOR concern. Like most cities, there aren't a lot of straight-through options and those that are available go through high risk areas. A plate carrier probably wouldn't help much.
But circling the city would take me through somewhat less high-risk locations and a plate carrier could help through those. I seriously considered keeping a set in my vehicle but I just didn't have the money to buy it.
-Blast, now happily working from home
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299335 - 07/13/21 10:54 PM Re: Mistakes I have seem... [Re: teacher]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Blast, I'm kinda curious about your reasoning. High risk = plate carrier not needed, lower risk = needed? Care to elaborate your thought process?

#299336 - 07/13/21 11:18 PM Re: Mistakes I have seem... [Re: Bingley]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Blast, I'm kinda curious about your reasoning. High risk = plate carrier not needed, lower risk = needed? Care to elaborate your thought process?

Yeah, not "low risk" but rather, "slightly lower risk than in the high risk areas".
In the high risk areas it would be one versus 5-50 people. Plates aren't going to help in those odds. Skirting those places adds at least another 50 miles to the walk home but the chance of being attacked by a group of people is less...hopefully. It'd more likely be someone sending a warning shot or some group of previously-civilized neighbors than members of the MS-13 street gang.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/2018/07/13/inside-ms-13-gangs-mafia-like-structure/
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#299340 - 07/14/21 08:23 AM Re: Mistakes I have seem... [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Through various sales, etc. I now have two plate carriers decked out with Ceramic/PE plates. One set is Level III and the other Level IV. From tests that I've seen the Level III that I have greatly exceed their ratings and will stop most 5.56 & 7.62 NATO rounds. The Level III is a pound or so lighter so I have that set in my Subaru. The Level IV is set up for home use with a pouch on the front that holds 3 x AR mags and 3 x pistol mags. Yeah, kind of overkill but if I never use it I'm not out a ton of money.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 181 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.