Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#297132 - 09/28/20 06:28 AM Knife sharpening
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Some of you must be into knife sharpening, right?

I'm thinking about replacing my tired Spyderco sharpening kit. The Ruixin 008 looks like a really good deal, but I wouldn't really know. What kind of problems would a newbie run into using such a kit? I have some Henckel knives, plus the usual assortment of pocket knives. The only tricky one is a Shun knife, which supposedly has a different angle.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about sharpening kits for someone who just wants to cook and open packages.

Edited by Bingley (09/28/20 06:28 AM)

#297133 - 09/28/20 07:49 AM Re: Knife sharpening [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Hmmm...never saw that one before. The idea looks solid but I have no idea of it's well made. If you want a guided system like that the KME is a well established, high quality setup that's kind of similar.

#297134 - 09/28/20 12:20 PM Re: Knife sharpening [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have been using a Spyderco Sharpmaker with great satisfaction for several years - not much there to wear out -possibly new rods? I learned on typical flat whetstones, which are cheap, durable, and sharpen well enough. There are also "pull through" gadgets which do a decent job, unless you are really into sharpening, doing much more than cooking and opening packages.

Sharpening knives seems to be one of those infinite rabbit holes into which you can plunge

#297135 - 09/28/20 12:24 PM Re: Knife sharpening [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The Ruixin is based on the Edge Pro, but much cheaper. It makes you wonder what you're missing.

#297138 - 09/28/20 10:46 PM Re: Knife sharpening [Re: Bingley]
DaveL Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado Springs,CO
Dittos on the whetstones, newer ones with diamond and ceramic. Will most likely last forever MTC

#297139 - 09/28/20 11:47 PM Re: Knife sharpening [Re: Bingley]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I recommend:

Basics: Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker Perfectly adequate for 95% of users. Get a set of Diamond or Cubic Boron Nitride stones if you have high-end steel blades and want to get serious, as opposed to just touching up and edge.

Intermediate, can do mild to wild, just takes some effort: Vipersharp https://vipersharp.com/

Advanced as you want to get from mild to wild and stupid simple to use. This is definitely what you want if you want to seriously get an edge on: Wicked Edge https://wickededgeusa.com/

Electric: Work Sharp. https://www.worksharptools.com I prefer the Ken Onion Edition as it is the most capable.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#297142 - 09/29/20 12:48 PM Re: Knife sharpening [Re: Doug_Ritter]
NAro Offline
Addict

https://lansky.com/index.php/precision-sharpening-kits/

Worth consideration. I've used these for 30 years.

#297150 - 09/30/20 01:15 PM Re: Knife sharpening [Re: Bingley]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I have a vast collection of sharpening rocks, including a swell medium arkansas in a cedar box from the Arkansas territorial museum. But modern steels are harder than these old stones, and sharpening became tedious and frustrating.

Moved on to abrasive silicon and aluminum paper glued to glass or marble.

Then I reviewed the practices of meatpackers, and acquired a 1 inch belt sander and a variety of belts. Started with HF, eventually saved up and got a Grizzly.

Never looked back.

Ruined a couple of knives learning to use the appliances. Which meant I got to buy or make some new knives.

Hell, I was going to buy and make more knives anyway.

YMMV.

#297159 - 10/01/20 12:40 AM Re: Knife sharpening [Re: Bingley]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
At this point in my life I'm too busy to devote an afternoon to sharpening a knife. Call me a heretic, but I really love my Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpner*
Practice a bit with an old knife to learn the proper timing then after that all your knives will be razor+ sharp. No fuss - no muss. It saves me a bunch of time. Keep in mind that the grind angles only have a 40 and 50 degree pre-set choices on this model and since it's a slack belt it'll give a convex edge. The "Ken Onion" model has almost infinite angle choices but I'm not sure if it can do a non-convex blade profile. Regardless, this isn't the sharpener for your Scandi-grind Moras.
-Blast

*As an Amazon Influencer, I may receive a sales commission from Amazon from purchases of the item(s) linked above.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#297162 - 10/01/20 01:39 AM Re: Knife sharpening [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I find that the knives I use the most do well with a charged strop and actual sharpening perhaps three or four times a year. I’ve been very happy with my Sharpmaker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 181 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.